Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking an analog stick into a dpad with deadzone control.  (Read 1245 times)

syntax_x

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2019, 09:32:44 pm
Hacking an analog stick into a dpad with deadzone control.
« on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »
Ive been trying to think of an easy way to connect an analog stick to a dpad and have a controllable deadzone.
Something that i can put a pot between the analog stick and dpad to change the activation point on the analog stick at which the dpad gets grounded.

Im sure there's some IC out there that can do this. Any help?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:00 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Hacking an analog stick into a dpad with deadzone control.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:10:36 pm »
A d-pad (digital interface) will usually hold the input high, and will not see that input as being activated until the voltage drops below a certain threshold, based on  the interface in question.

What you would need to do is increase or decrease the amount of resistance between the ground on the joystick pots and the interface you are using, to get the adustability you desire.  I.e. more resistance=larger deadzone, and less resistance=smaller deadzone.  Resistors in parallel reduce resistance, while those in serial increase it.

That's the theory.  In practice, however, it may not be simple to do, and would likely entail quite a bit of trial and error.

syntax_x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »
Id thought about that route and figured that the best way to control that would be changine the controllers pullups to change the analog sticks dead zone as there is no way to decrease the ground resistance of the stick which im sure is around 5k centred.

I want to get 2 PS3 flight sticks and use them as Virtual on twin sticks, but Virtual on plays across a few platforms.
I can hook the sticks directly up to a 360s sticks or a ps3 but when I go to play DC or arcade versions I need to be able to make the sticks pots activate a ground for the inputs, and i wanted a pot somewhere to change the point at which the sticks activate the grounding.

Would a simple comparator IC work maybe?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:54:13 pm by syntax_x »

syntax_x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:13:35 am »
And it did! more to come..... :)