Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Invaders Pinball Restore  (Read 8124 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Space Invaders Pinball Restore
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:52:31 am »

Acquired a free kind of working Space Invaders pin.

It has been sitting for years I think in a heated garage (thank god). No keys, no way to see what was going on inside. I swear I was having nightmares about battery acid damage, and loose wires and broken mechs. Luckily this machine is pretty bare bones.

Here are some pics from when it was stored....

Now I am very aware this particular game is just considered an average game. Value is anywhere between $800 to maybe $1200. So seeing as I got this for free I had a plan to stay below $800. I wasn't really looking to turn a profit but I didn't want to lose money either.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Space Invaders Pinball Restore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:03:41 am »
So dirty was all I really saw. With closer inspection, all of the rubbers from the 4 flippers where dried up cracked and fell off. The other rubbers where intact but nasty. The playfield looked intact, however it had what I thought was just an epic layer of dust. It was far from vibrant looking! I did have the balls to plug it in... because what the hell if it started on fire or blew up I could just chalk it up "Eh it was free". After all this is my first restore on a Pinball Machine. I think this is a great candidate for a first time restore, as these machines are common, and not really all that special. There is not a lot of moving parts, and it is a wide body which gives me a lot of room to move around.

Anyway, it powered up fine, half the lights still worked, the game tried to start but there was a rubber from one of the flippers jammed up where the ball release was. So I could not play. The flippers did flip and no smoke was seen. However there was no sound.

I got the big bastard home and drilled the locks. Now I had to drill the locks of the Popeye machine I purchased a few months ago. That took a good hour. So I was expecting the same kind of time frame. But luckily these locks literally took seconds to drill into, they crumbled! ha ha ha. Never saw anything like that. I was finally able to look into the back box and remove the glass.

(starting from the top left... That is the MPU board basically the brains, top right board is the solenoid driver board, bottom left is the lamp/lights board, that little guy next to that is the new sound board, and the far bottom right is the auxiliary lamp board.) 

No battery damage at all... everything looked relatively well maintained. No obvious reasons why there was no sound however. I was able to remove the rubber that was jamming up the ball launch and was able to play a game. Everything seemed to work. The three pop bumpers, all of the stand alone targets, all of the drop targets, everything. So that was pretty damn cool. Cosmetic resto coming up!!!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:18:18 am by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:15:41 am »
Well I thought it was going to be a cosmetic restore..... I was looking to see why I was missing sound. I read that the boards in these old machines go out pretty frequently so I just said screw it, I will just buy a new sound board. After all it seemed all the wiring was intact and there were no cold solder issues. No cracks, nothing. So I found a website that makes all the boards for this game.

http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html

Bought a sound board and plugged it in... nothing.

So then I pressed the test button (up until this very moment I thought I was doing pretty well. Looking back now I know I was an idiot). The test button which should have tested the speakers ended up being a button that released fireworks inside my machine! Let me clarify.... I pressed the test button and the board above it (the Solenoid driver board, which controls all the pop bumpers and flippers) sparked and smoked and flamed up pretty nice.

I was so pissed. I talked to Alltksystems and the guy was so very nice, and explained that I had a short somewhere. While I was on the phone with him I followed the wires from the sound board to the speaker and sure as ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, one of the speaker wires had become disconnected and was shorting against some metal bracket. Surely I would have been smart enough to check the wiring to the speaker BEFORE I bought a sound board right????

Wrong, the whole not having sound issues came because of a stupid speaker wire.  :banghead:

Rookie mistake.

So... I purchased a nice brand new solenoid board from the nice man over at Allteksystems. lol

So now I have a brand new sound board, a brand new Solenoid board, I resoldered the speaker wire and fired her up!

I got sound! Glorious Space Invaders boom beep boom sounds! And all of the Solenoid issues were solved, I had pop bumpers and flippers again. It was fantastic and a good lesson learned!!!!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:23:39 am »
Here is the playfield as it stands after I took off the glass and wiped it down. Really cool artwork, but it sure looks dull....

Now on to the playfield... I removed most of the plastics to get them scrubbed and washed up. I use the Novus cleaning/polishing system. Anyone not familiar with Novus it is a great way to clean up and remove scratches from plastics. Used a lot in the pinball hobby.

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539271216&sr=8-1&keywords=novus+cleaner

Removed some posts, and washed them as well.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:37 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
Been there, done that.  If that's all it took to get it working you got off cheap.

:cheers:

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:35:50 am »
As you can see there is some definite wear. And some definite fade or so I thought.

Behind the top left pop bumper there was some of the original Mylar peeling up. So I learned a trick from youtube to remove the mylar plastic without damaging the artwork. You basically use a freeze spray or in my case just buy some compressed air cans and tip them upside down and spray the area you are peeling off. So having never done this before I took my time and started the peeling process.

Well I was pretty happy with the results, the Artwork is beautiful underneath, the Mylar is what was frosted... So that means I just have to take off all of the mylar and put on some more. Problem is that is another $100. Woof.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 11:39:06 am »
After doing more research, these old machines tend to have problems with LED's. Ghost flickering/bulbs just not turning on... etc. So I ordered the Led lamp board and the Auxillary board because at this point what the hell. I just have to be under $800.

So far I spent

space invaders cost list

misc parts from Marcos $50.83
sound board $85
Led Lamp driver board 128.98
Auxiliary LED Driver Board $90.00
Solenoid Driver Board $149.95

Grand Total $513.71

Things needed:

LED's for the playfield and back box
Mylar to protect the playfield

Possibly get some new posts, if I have money left over.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:42:04 am »
That 800 dollar limit is quickly approaching. ;D

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:45:56 am »
That 800 dollar limit is quickly approaching. ;D

Didn't take long did it!!!  :laugh2:

Damn hobbies! I guess I didn't think I would be needing to replace the board sets. But, If I do all this I think I can get closer to the $1000 range considering it is now going to be "Bullet Proofed"

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:12 pm »
Why the hell do you need new mylar? 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 12:27:32 pm »
Why the hell do you need new mylar?

I could be wrong PBJ, but I think I read that the original finishes of the games back in the late 70's early 80's where garbage, and the paint will wear pretty quickly. Is this not the case?

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 12:27:58 pm »
It would be great to know, because I don't want to mylar the bastard. lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »
So, if you mylar it again, when that second set of mylar gives out, it will take ALL the paint with it.  Just keep it cleaned and waxed with non-rusty balls and you'll be fine without it.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 12:39:04 pm »
So, if you mylar it again, when that second set of mylar gives out, it will take ALL the paint with it.  Just keep it cleaned and waxed with non-rusty balls and you'll be fine without it.

I like this guy!  :w00t

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »
So my tv is on in the background and they mention the orange buffoon just as I am reading "rusty balls", I then proceed to spit my tea all over my keyboard (mental note: sweet tea burns the old nostrils).

Just wanted to say thanks for that. :banghead:

That said, I was reading along because my step dad had that same pin and it brings back so many fond memories (my first real exposure to pinball), best of luck on the restore.  :cheers:
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

FlakJAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2018, 05:59:39 pm
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 09:12:44 pm »
Love the artwork on this pin, very Alien/HR Giger, Heavy Metal vibes with the already nostalgic space invader theme.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 12:35:42 pm »
The game is growing on me.... to be honest at first this was a flip. Fix her up and sell her. But yesterday I moved her to my basement bar. She will be a keeper for a while. I thought it was going to be a slow terrible shooter since it's a freakin boat wide body. But after shooting this thing a few times it has some fun shots and the layout is way better than I thought it was going to be. So right now I am into it. I may get sick of it quick but at least for now I am excited to have it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 01:51:56 pm »
clear coat it or see if they sell one of those plexiglass protectors for it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:26 pm »
So after all the clean up, and scrubbing and soaking of plastics...etc. I put in all new rubbers.

I went with black rubbers, kind of wish I would have stuck with the white.... The black tends to blend in. Oh well. I guess it is fine.

And now It is time to attack the lighting. I usually just do white leds on the play field to keep it classy and to bring out the natural colors in the plastics and artwork. However since all my plastics are yellow and dull as hell, I decided to go balls out and really turn this bastard into a light show. I shamelessly stole the color scheme from an episode of TNT on youtube. I don't know why but it was very cool to see that game all lit up. So I decided to do it.

Most of the bulbs were burned out anyway.

It begins

One plan was to remove the apron and drill a couple of holes so I could thread some wire through for a couple led strips.

success!

Because this is a widebody the middle of the playfield even with the LEDs and LED strips there were still black voids on the play field. So I bought a couple of spot lights to help light the way.

Pop bumpers all lit up so they can be pretty...

This thing... looks great in person.

Under the play field lighting... always a pain in the ass. I went with frosted bulbs, so as to not be too crazy bright. I still want to see what the inserts say.

Finished up some small details like new shiny acorn nuts on all of the threaded bolts. And a nice polish on the play field.

A few pics of the back glass... I should post a video of it to do it justice. It is strikingly awesome!

Fin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:59:27 pm by Ian »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 09:29:23 am »
That looks sweet.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:21 pm »
Thanks, I still have some soldering to do and I do have a few light sockets to switch out. And after replacing the lamp boards, I need to connect a power wire to one of them. And after that I have some touch ups to do on the playfield and finally a pinball protector to keep that playfield beautiful.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:45 pm »
I played this and Black Rose last night. Space Invaders is a much better game.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 09:01:57 am »
I think they are both different games, but I do love how Space invaders shoots.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:22 am »
Nice!!!
 :applaud:
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:53 pm »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 04:27:56 pm »
That's crazy... No way he gets that.

Hey since I am on here... I have a question for you guys. Have any of you worked on older 80's Bally Pins? My biggest issue (and it is more of an annoyance) is the fact that the sockets seem to be made so cheaply that the bulbs will lose connection when the machine is vibrating from flippers to pop bumpers. Very annoying. At anytime it feels like the damn thing has one or two bulbs out. I have to take off the glass and just readjust the bulbs to get them to light back up.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 08:33:32 am »
Great job  :applaud:

Good thing I don't have the space  for those too!
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 10:41:32 am »
Hey since I am on here... I have a question for you guys. Have any of you worked on older 80's Bally Pins? My biggest issue (and it is more of an annoyance) is the fact that the sockets seem to be made so cheaply that the bulbs will lose connection when the machine is vibrating from flippers to pop bumpers. Very annoying. At anytime it feels like the damn thing has one or two bulbs out. I have to take off the glass and just readjust the bulbs to get them to light back up.

Does it use the 555 bulbs?  If so, go into the socket with a jewelers screwdriver and bend the contacts so they keep a tighter grip on the bulb.  On the bulb, bend out the wires so they stick out more when you shove it in the socket.

If it's 44/47 sockets, wrap some sandpaper around any skinny cylindrical object, shove it in the socket, and spin it around.  Then use some pliers and give them a squeeze to make them slightly oval.

I've never had to replace a socket ever.  I'm surprised there's such a huge market for them to be honest.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2018, 11:36:50 pm »

Does it use the 555 bulbs?  If so, go into the socket with a jewelers screwdriver and bend the contacts so they keep a tighter grip on the bulb.  On the bulb, bend out the wires so they stick out more when you shove it in the socket.

If it's 44/47 sockets, wrap some sandpaper around any skinny cylindrical object, shove it in the socket, and spin it around.  Then use some pliers and give them a squeeze to make them slightly oval.

I've never had to replace a socket ever.  I'm surprised there's such a huge market for them to be honest.

Lamp sockets yes can be cleaned and tweaked with an abrasive stick. But that doesn't fix the problem, it only prolongs it, once the plating is compromised it will deteriorate quite rapidly the second time not to mention the base metal is less conductive than the coating,  the heat and electrons work together to find the least conductive path and carbon up what is left effectively destroying it finally. Diodes too (if applicable)  fail much more often than one might think and are usually overlooked in a quick fix and certainly doesn't help ghosts and flickers with a LED setup. and finally if the bottom of the holder spins, or the contacts are green it is flat out shot, you will get intermittent flickers at best.... I find it easier to just change them out for new rather than chase the same problem perpetually over and over wasting a bunch of time. (although there can be like 200 or so in a machine and can get spendy quite fast)...IMHO  :-\
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:49:35 pm by jennifer »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 12:26:51 am »
I've got a couple of games I've owned over 10 years. One of them from 1968.  If my method caused rapid deterioration then I guess I'm in for a headache in the next century or so.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 12:57:45 am »
I've got a couple of games I've owned over 10 years. One of them from 1968.  If my method caused rapid deterioration then I guess I'm in for a headache in the next century or so.

I would be quite skeptical if they see a lot of on time then, I have a couple of machines where the lamp sockets are actually rusted through, literal dust....I did however say it can be done that way and is even an accepted fix in the grand scheme of things, just saying it just aint worth wondering if the extra ball is sposed to be lite up or just not working because of some cheese and tape fix. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:42 am »
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-25

Thanks for the replys guys... but all of the standard sockets work great. It is the damn pop bumper socket on the left "50" that the bulb just sits too loose in. Part im talking about is linked above. right now i think I have it positioned to stay. But If there was a trick to keep it stable I wanted to hear about it.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »
Redid the LED's so it gives it a more classic look.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 08:08:33 am »
I love it..  my kind of project..  very cool   :applaud:
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/