Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spinner/Dial works in windows but not in MAME  (Read 3140 times)

bpjacobsen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 09:44:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Spinner/Dial works in windows but not in MAME
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:28:05 pm »
Please Help! I'm pulling my hair out. This was working in the past and now it's not. I have multimouse set to 1. I have tried both keyboard and mouse for the dial setting. Mouse is set to 1 for core input. The spinner moves the cursor in windows but if I try to assign it in the game (Arkanoid for example) nothing happens. It's like MAME can't recognize it. I'm certain the ini is correct. See attached. Please someone help me, this is driving me nuts! (not to mention that fact that I can't launch mame64.exe other than from the command line) (black screen, spinning circle) Ugh! Why is the spinner not assigning? It used to assign as soon as I spun it. blah
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:42:20 pm by bpjacobsen »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Spinner/Dial works in windows but not in MAME
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:16:11 pm »
The .ini looks pretty good, but you may want to change paddle_device to mouse instead of keyboard.

Code: [Select]
#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             Keyboard

It won't make a difference on Arkanoid since spinner = dial, but it should work for Pong or Warlords since potentiometer = paddle.

if Enter -- Esc -- Enter -- Esc doesn't reset the input to default, you might try deleting the game .ini or even delete mame.ini and recreate it from scratch using the "mame64 -cc" (create config) command.

Multimouse may be causing problems -- you may want to disable it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:31:42 pm by PL1 »

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:57 am »
I tried creating a new ini but still continue to have the same problem. I just don't get why it works fine on my other PC. But it's like mame just does not recognize any input from the dial. Yet it works in windows fine. Any other suggestions?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:00:21 am »
Just to confirm:

- You are unable to map the spinner to the "Dial Analog" input.
(You aren't accidently trying to map it to the "Dial Analog Inc" or "Dial Analog Dec" inputs, right?)

- Disabling multimouse doesn't help.

- Deleting the game .ini or trying a new game doesn't help.

- Deleting then recreating and editing mame.ini doesn't help.

- If you're running Win7 or newer, have you installed DirectX 9.0c?
Windows 7 and up requires installing the DirectX 9.0c redistributable package because the Direct X 10.0 and above are NOT backwards compatible.

Install this package from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

If none of these worked, I think the next step is reinstall MAME.   :dunno

Scott

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:34 pm »
Ugh, I replaced my Mame files with a new download and same issues. I'm starting to think this might be a bad install of windows. getting a popup stating it's not genuine. Could that be my issue or should this be working? I got this pc from Craig's list and quite frankly, have had some issues. can't get the other 2gb of ram to work and it seems like a lot of stuff is not working right.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:34:13 pm by bpjacobsen »

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 11:25:54 pm »
I did a full clean install of Windows 7 from a legit CD. Unfortunately, Still having the same issues. I have tried turning multimouse off, and on, neither works. I tried setting dial to keyboard and mouse with and without multimouse and nothing works. It simply will not register anything when I move the spinner. Grrrrr!  Please tell me there is a way to fix this. It moves the cursor in windows so I  know it's working.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 11:35:01 pm »
I swear your issue is in the options/settings in mame. Try mame32 or another with a decent UI. You should be able to just then check the box to get it working.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 12:08:50 am »
I also tried copying the ini file to the ini/presets folder since that is where the path is pointing in the ini file. No dice. This is so crazy!
Pulling my hair out and losing sleep over this.

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:25:50 am »
Tried downloading the 32 bit version, separate folder. created new ini file and put it in the ini\presets folder since that is the path specified for ini. still cannot get this working. I'm dying here. time for bed. any other tips would be great. thanks.

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:25 am »
Mystery solved!!! I stumbled upon another forum thread on another site when I was troubleshooting something else with mame and This is what I did to resolve this issue with the spinner not mapping in mame:

c:\hyperspin\emulators\mame64.exe -inipath c:\hyperspin\emulators\mame

So I ran the command to tell it where to pull the ini file from and now my spinner works!
No clue why this came up now since I never had to do this before but I'll take it. I still can't run mame64 direclty from the icon though which really remains a head scratcher. It hangs then I get the message that mame stopped running/responding. not getting anywhere in that thread but if I can setup RL to run mame using the above command, hopefully it should work and I will never have to deal with the hangup.
Thanks all for your input. sometimes you just need a little bit of luck in searching. lol