Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help to modify Zaxxon marquee  (Read 3231 times)

ilsiu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 12:55:08 pm
Need help to modify Zaxxon marquee
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:03:40 pm »
I'd like to modify the classic Zaxxon marquee (http://www.arcadeartwork.org/picture.php?/8194/best_rated) by replacing the "Zaxxon" with "Game On!"  I've downloaded a Zaxxon font and have Photoshop; it's pretty easy to cover the Sega/Gremlin logo and replace the title text while keeping the simple background, but the font only shows in solid colors, and I'd really like to keep the text blue with the red and white outlines.  Does anyone have suggestions how to do this?

Thanks!

fcobenitez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 12:36:40 pm
Re: Need help to modify Zaxxon marquee
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:22:46 pm »
I think what you need is Illustrator. That would be a simple thing of using "path offset" option. But if you only have PS, then make a new layer, write your text with the desired font.Then go to "Type" at the top bar, and select "convert to object". Then double click the layer with this text object and select Outline, and play with the settings til you get something you are happy with. Another option would be to duplicate that object layer, and change it's size, so that when placed behind the original layer, it would appear as an outline. Do the same but with a smaller object for the inner color.

ilsiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:31:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I played around with the stroke and outline functions a bit and came up with this.  Not bad, but the corners are rounded rather than pointed.  I guess I can either keep trying, or decide I like the rounded version better :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:11:40 pm by ilsiu »

adamcian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 12:14:33 am
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:14:25 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I played around with the stroke and outline functions a bit and came up with this.  Not bad, but the corners are rounded rather than pointed.  I guess I can either keep trying, or decide I like the rounded version better :)

You just have to change your stroke pattern to inner in Photoshop to get the crispy corners.

Or, alternatively, if you want the ‘legit’ 80’s look, what they did back then was ‘layer’ from the biggest size and transform the size down on top. In this instance, your bottom most layer would have a copy of the text in White for each letter, then on top the same in red at ~95% scale and then the final layer in blue at the smallest scale. You can do that with text or convert it into a shape/smart object and duplicate with cover overlays for each layer after duplicating and transforming each layer to a smaller size.

Let me know if you still need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilsiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:51:28 am »
You just have to change your stroke pattern to inner in Photoshop to get the crispy corners.

Sounds good - I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Or, alternatively, if you want the ‘legit’ 80’s look, what they did back then was ‘layer’ from the biggest size and transform the size down on top. In this instance, your bottom most layer would have a copy of the text in White for each letter, then on top the same in red at ~95% scale and then the final layer in blue at the smallest scale. You can do that with text or convert it into a shape/smart object and duplicate with cover overlays for each layer after duplicating and transforming each layer to a smaller size.

I thought about doing that too.  I think that for each layer I add, I'll need to do each letter separately as the spacing changes as the font size decreases.  Hopefully, stroke pattern -> inner will work.

Thanks!

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:12:46 pm »
To have the stroke not round itself off on the edges but still be on the outside of your text/shape, you need to convert the text to a vector shape (right click the text layer and select "convert to shape").  Then select the new shape layer, on the upper left of the screen right below the file menu you should see "Fill" and "Stroke" options.  Turn the stroke on, select size, then there is a "Stroke Options" to the right of that so you can select the alignment to be on the outside (you can also select options like dotted, various breaks, etc).  The standard line will give you nice sharp edges on your stroke (these instructions are assuming you are using a relatively recent version of Photoshop).

If you only do a stroke through the "Layer Styles" menu, you are limited to having the strokes rounded on the edges

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »
Here is a layered TIF illustrating the process I described in the post above (the only difference is that I traced out the text into vector shapes, so there was no need to convert it to a shape from a font).  If you open it in Photoshop you will be able to see the individual layers and how the effect was achieved, as well as modify it as needed.  It's a super simple process once you know how to do it.

Just tried to attach it and it gave me an error, so I'm linking it below.

http://www.punchdance.com/gameon.tif
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:43:18 pm by thatpurplestuff »

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

ilsiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:08:51 pm »
To have the stroke not round itself off on the edges but still be on the outside of your text/shape, you need to convert the text to a vector shape (right click the text layer and select "convert to shape").  Then select the new shape layer, on the upper left of the screen right below the file menu you should see "Fill" and "Stroke" options. Turn the stroke on, select size, then there is a "Stroke Options" to the right of that so you can select the alignment to be on the outside (you can also select options like dotted, various breaks, etc).  The standard line will give you nice sharp edges on your stroke (these instructions are assuming you are using a relatively recent version of Photoshop).

If you only do a stroke through the "Layer Styles" menu, you are limited to having the strokes rounded on the edges

Thanks for helping out.  I'm stuck at the bolded part of your instructions - my screen doesn't seem to show the 'Fill" and "Stroke" options.  Please see the attached screenshot 1.

Also, I tried to open your tif file; I can see the different layers you created, but they seem to be empty.  See attached screenshot 2.

I should note I'm using an older version of Photoshop: CS5.  Maybe the function implementation was different back then?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:10:26 pm by ilsiu »

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 11:17:46 am »
Ahh yeah I believe the different stroke options for vector shapes weren't introduced until a few versions into the CC builds.  Don't think there is a way to have an outer stroke with a hard edge besides the way I described, and if you're on CS5 that isn't an option (I would suggest Illustrator if that type of stroke is something you will be using often).

Below is a link to a rasterized version of the file with the text isolated on a layer... you won't be able to see how the effect was done or modify any of the strokes, but you should be able to use it in your project.

http://punchdance.com/gameonraster.tif

ilsiu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »
Ahh yeah I believe the different stroke options for vector shapes weren't introduced until a few versions into the CC builds.  Don't think there is a way to have an outer stroke with a hard edge besides the way I described, and if you're on CS5 that isn't an option (I would suggest Illustrator if that type of stroke is something you will be using often).

Below is a link to a rasterized version of the file with the text isolated on a layer... you won't be able to see how the effect was done or modify any of the strokes, but you should be able to use it in your project.

http://punchdance.com/gameonraster.tif

I really appreciate the help!  This would be a one time thing, so I'm not too keen on subscribing to Adobe CC  (although I suppose I could do the free trial).

I do prefer the sharper version, so thanks again for the raster.