Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T-molding re-installation  (Read 4419 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
T-molding re-installation
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:58:47 pm »
Concurrently with another thread asking how to fix t-molding slot mistakes, I'd like to get advice on re-installing t-molding without destroying the slots when pulling out the old t-molding. 

Every cabinet I've restored, I've found that after removing the existing old beat-up t-molding, the slots end up getting wider because bits of the wood gets torn away when the old stuff is pulled out.  Requiring you to wood fill/bondo the slots and re-route. 

This is a lot of extra work for refreshing the t-molding, which got me thinking what is the best way to remove t-molding without damaging the slot? Can it be avoided?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: T-molding re-installation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:39:22 pm »
I'm debating just shooting a bead of adhesive into the groove with a caulking gun and then installing new molding.  A lot easier than bondo and re-route.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »
I've just used silicone caulk in the groove.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »
The way it’s barbed you’re pretty much going to pull out wood. I find that a dab of hot glue here and there along the installation is all you need. Especially on the bends. A friend of mine folds electrical tape over the barb to make it bite better.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:41:28 pm »
I wonder if there's a way of pulling up the t-molding just enough to fit a blade under the flat part, and cutting the "t" part off. Then perhaps sliding the teeth part along the edges and out, rather than pulling perpendicular to the edges...

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »
As the others have mentioned I have just used hot glue in the past.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:00:38 am »
Disclaimer - Although I've heard this has been done, I myself haven't tried it. Using a dremel (perhaps with a routing attachment) cut the spline area of the tmolding allows for easy removal. I would try first on a scrap piece to see if this might work? Just throwing ideas out there.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 11:29:41 am »
I have often worried about installing the T molding after paint etc, and presume its gonna be a "Do it right the first time" situation because any removal will pull something with it. It's just the nature of barbed stuff. I don't know if much of anything would help reduce it on older cabs because of the material used and how it has likely swelled a bit over time, making the mold tighter. I have noticed some T mold has thicker barbs than others, and have to take this into consideration moving forward.

Perhaps heating the T mold would make things more pliable, dry out the wood, and maybe help open things up some before removal? I have never tried or even considered it until now, but maybe it could be a way to make it easier to remove, and less damaging to the wood.