Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Going from inkscape to sketchup  (Read 3776 times)

FALSE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
Going from inkscape to sketchup
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:34:05 pm »
I've created some artwork in Inkscape at actual size. 74" tall x 26" wide. (made a little bit of overlap on my cabinet to make it easier to apply)
I've created my cabinet at actual size in Sketchup 72" tall X 26" wide.

When I export my inkscape file as a PNG and import it into sketchup as a material, when I apply the material to the sketchup side panel, it doesn't fill the entire panel as it should.
It's actually smaller than the cabinet. I'm confused why this is happening and it's making it difficult for me to get my characters lined up correctly on my side art.

Anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Going from inkscape to sketchup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 03:59:36 am »
You should give the texture/material the right dimension as well (in the material window). Then you can put it in the right position.

Disclaimer: I did this a couple of months ago and saying this on top of my head...

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 04:15:45 am »
If it's not mapped correctly, you can right click the face and click Edit -> Face -> Texture -> Position... then use the 4 corners (each has different function) to map the texture to the face correctly.

Sometimes sketchup is weird and maps it wrong even if you type the dimensions correctly, so you have to do the above... seems more often when the surface isn't on one of the axis planes.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:01:28 pm »
It's possible I'm an idiot but I don't see anywhere that I can set the size of the material when you import it.
I thought it would just import at the same size that I created it at.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:13 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »
It's possible I'm an idiot but I don't see anywhere that I can set the size of the material when you import it.
I thought it would just import at the same size that I created it at.

Click on the face of the material in SketchUp such that you get the crosshatch indicating you’ve selected that face.  Then select (at least in a Mac) File —> Import.  When the pop up window comes up select under the Format “Use as a texture”, find your file and Import.  You should have the paint bucket tool up with the image in tow.  Click anywhere in the surface area once, then you will be in resize mode.  Resize as best you can, then click again to set it.  Once you do, you can right click and select Texture—>Position.  This will allow you to change the position, resize, change the angle, pretty much anything you want.