Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't get 15khz from CRT emu driver with AMD HD5450  (Read 7127 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can't get 15khz from CRT emu driver with AMD HD5450
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:56:59 pm »
I just tried switching from windows XP soft 15khz to Windows 7 with crt emu. I followed instructions but after the install (and restart) I can't switch anything to 15khz. It's stuck in 31khz.

I selected the tri-sync option in VM maker and it generated and installed the modlines. I just can't use any of them.

I can't get Groovy mame to run at all. It just loads a black screen when I click on it. When I try a different mame build, I can select the 2550 x 240 resolutions but, when the game loads, It's stuck in 480p, no matter what I try. Even if the the ini file updates, still no 15khz.

Any ideas?

Is CRT EMU compatible with all brands of AMD HD5450 cards? I am wondering if maybe the one I bought is not compatible.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Can't get 15khz from CRT emu driver with AMD HD5450
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:41:54 am »
So, you need to be using EDID emulation, which i presume you are if you followed the correct guide. That's the one for the 5450 or newer cards, not the one for the 4350 or older - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301

Open ArcadeOSD - it's part of the crt_emudriver package you downloaded. Are any 240p modelines shown in the list of modes? If they're in the list, what happens when you try to switch to them? If they work, the problem is with GM and your mame.ini.

The list of regular modes, not protected modes, in ArcadeOSD should only show the modes you installed, and possibly a 480@30 mode from the EDID emulation. Also, make sure you check the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" box in the monitor properties dialog from the desktop. And that you stop *and* disable the AMD External Events Utility service - type "service" in the start menu to get to windows services.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:46:25 am by buttersoft »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »
So, you need to be using EDID emulation, which i presume you are if you followed the correct guide. That's the one for the 5450 or newer cards, not the one for the 4350 or older - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301

Open ArcadeOSD - it's part of the crt_emudriver package you downloaded. Are any 240p modelines shown in the list of modes? If they're in the list, what happens when you try to switch to them? If they work, the problem is with GM and your mame.ini.

The list of regular modes, not protected modes, in ArcadeOSD should only show the modes you installed, and possibly a 480@30 mode from the EDID emulation. Also, make sure you check the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" box in the monitor properties dialog from the desktop. And that you stop *and* disable the AMD External Events Utility service - type "service" in the start menu to get to windows services.

Thanks. That worked for being able to switch Windows to 15khz and 24khz (disabling the AMD events utility). I still can't get groovy Mame to work in any way though. It just won't open.

I tried changing the video setting in the mame.ini from auto to d3d and to opengl and then back to auto. Is there something else you need to do to open groovymame .197 to open besides clicking on it?

I never thought I would miss the "simplicity" of soft15khz with any mame that worked...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »
Download my package from my provided links in GM's main thread. Unzip and launch GM. It should work.

If it doesn't work, post a log.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:56:07 pm »
Is this a new/recent install of Windows 7?

Windows 7 and up requires installing the DirectX 9.0c redistributable package because the Direct X 10.0 and above are NOT backwards compatible.

Install this package from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:11:13 pm »
Download my package from my provided links in GM's main thread. Unzip and launch GM. It should work.

If it doesn't work, post a log.

Which is the "GM main thread"? I can't find any with that name. Is it called something else?

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
Is this a new/recent install of Windows 7?

Windows 7 and up requires installing the DirectX 9.0c redistributable package because the Direct X 10.0 and above are NOT backwards compatible.

Install this package from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

No, it's not new. I installed it in 2009 when it was my main gaming PC. I used it briefly with an arcade vga before putting my old (new) gpu back in and building a seperate windows XP / soft 15khz 240p box. Now that my main gaming rig is too old for the latest games and CRT emu works with Windows 7, I was going to make it my main retro gaming machine.

Anyway, I think I found the problem. Installing a new gpu and crt emu triggered Windows to decide that it was illegitimate. This caused all the USB 3 ports to stop working until I re-entered my product key. This stopped my sound card from working which prevents mame from loading unless sound is turned off.

After making Windows legitimate again, Groovy mame 197 loaded into the graphic interface. I haven't got it running right yet though.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 08:53:13 pm »
Ok, I think I am doing something wrong with the settings on Groovymame. I thought GM was able to generate new resolutions and refresh rates on the fly to precisely match the games refresh and res but that is not happening right.

Take Street Fighter 2 champion edition as an example. GM selects a res of 2560 x 240 and states that it is outputting nearly the right refresh rate (but not quite) but the image looks wrong and has noticible screen tearing (as did every other game I tried). Take a look the charictor select screen. Blanks looks like he has 4 eyes...

How do I make Groovy Mame automatically select an optimal resolution and a refresh rate with no tearing on the fly like everyone says it works?

Do I need to add custom modlines manually if I want games to run perfect like they did on my old mame pc? I am one of those people who notices every artifact or missing frame and I'm a little obsessive about authenticity...

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 09:18:19 pm »
Steps to create a log:
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 09:47:00 pm »
Steps to create a log:
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

I'm not reporting a Groovymame issue. I am asking for help with the settings from other users. This is a forum and therefore, exactly the right place to ask. That's what forums are for.

Also, I don't want to only ask the people that run Groovymame....

BTW, insisting that all requests for help have to be through a command line is not a great idea. My mame cab is not even hooked up to the internet and I do almost all of my internet activity on my phone or IPad. I'm not the only one like this. Forums like this are set up for easy discussion and questions without going back to the MS Dos command line era....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:04:20 pm by Zebra »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:12:09 am »
I agree that command line operation is alien to most people these days (including me lol) but I believe Calamity demands logs because there's nothing else that comes even close to be as useful and helpful, both for development and support.
Dealing with each user's issues individually without the logs is like 10 times more difficult and time-consuming it seems.
In fact one should wonder why MAMEdev never added an option somewhere in the UI or mame.ini to make logs generation automatic... :dunno

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 03:14:08 am »
Just post a damn log or go back to playing games on your phone.
If you don't know how to run command prompt then google it...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 04:15:04 am »
Zebra,

I need to know if you downloaded my full package from the download link here.

If instead of that you got the binary alone from someone else and you just dropped it in a normal MAME folder you're likely missing the relevant options. So here it's not a matter of engaging in an endless interrogation about this or the other option. If you unzip my package and just edit mame.ini to point to your roms path, it's already configured for basic functionality (15 kHz).

If at that point it doesn't work (any tearing for example means it DOESN'T work), then you post a log. You guys won't ever imagine how important this is. I may go through your log once and see no clue of the issue. Then sometimes a few hours or days later while I'm driving or whatever an answer comes to my mind. I then go back to your log and verify it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:17:42 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 04:40:49 am »
You guys won't ever imagine how important this is.
oh God do I know. sometimes I feel like I should attach a log in every post even when I haven't touched the emulator and have no issue  ;D

I know: add some telemetry thing to GM with a generic 'we have updated our privacy policy' warning, users won't pay attention and you'll gain a daily wealth of information. *spy*

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 05:17:38 am »
Yeah that'd be nice. After all there's a guy in another forum who states that CRT Emudriver is persistent even to defeat HD formatting.
Steps to create a log:

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:46:28 am »
My mame cab is not even hooked up to the internet and I do almost all of my internet activity on my phone or IPad.

Isn't there some way to transfer a file from your computer to your phone using a USB cable or a Bluetooth adapter?

I mean, it's probably not convenient but there's no way for someone to troubleshoot your screen tearing issue without seeing the GroovyMAME log to find out what is going on.  If Groovymame was working correctly, you shouldn't see any tearing.  That's the whole point.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 10:41:58 am »
I agree that command line operation is alien to most people these days (including me lol) but I believe Calamity demands logs because there's nothing else that comes even close to be as useful and helpful, both for development and support.
Dealing with each user's issues individually without the logs is like 10 times more difficult and time-consuming it seems.
In fact one should wonder why MAMEdev never added an option somewhere in the UI or mame.ini to make logs generation automatic... :dunno

I can (kinda) understand needing command line logs when reporting actual issues with Groovymame but that's not what this is. This is most likely a case of user error. If idiots like me bother Calamity with every install question then he'd have no time to work on GM.

So.... as I said... imo, questions around install issues or requests for help with settings belong here (or some other forum with GM users) so other users who have been through the process can share the burden.

If someone finds a problem with the code or a glitch, or a compatibility issue that hasn't been previously documented, that is the sort of thing that should go to the developers as nobody else could help.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 11:09:00 am »
It's kinda like in Twin Peaks, the logs know the deepest truths and they whisper only to Calamity's ear.

Well it's up to you, personally I know I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so I let the logs speak in my place.

So far thanks to these Calamity helped me so much I think owe him a kidney or two, and I'm very happy about it.  :angel:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 11:51:05 am »
It's kinda like in Twin Peaks, the logs know the deepest truths and they whisper only to Calamity's ear.

Well it's up to you, personally I know I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so I let the logs speak in my place.

So far thanks to these Calamity helped me so much I think owe him a kidney or two, and I'm very happy about it.  :angel:

You won't get any argument from me on how much we all owe Calamity. This is one area where capitalism failed us as the market did not provide. The commercial options for getting 240p are all terrible and expensive. By all accounts, once set up properly, GM with CRT EMU is near perfect. So good that people are selling their PCBs to use GM instead.

GM and CRTEMU is the best thing to happen to vintage gaming since Mame itself first came out.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 12:00:55 pm »
Zebra,

I need to know if you downloaded my full package from the download link here.

If instead of that you got the binary alone from someone else and you just dropped it in a normal MAME folder you're likely missing the relevant options. So here it's not a matter of engaging in an endless interrogation about this or the other option. If you unzip my package and just edit mame.ini to point to your roms path, it's already configured for basic functionality (15 kHz).

If at that point it doesn't work (any tearing for example means it DOESN'T work), then you post a log. You guys won't ever imagine how important this is. I may go through your log once and see no clue of the issue. Then sometimes a few hours or days later while I'm driving or whatever an answer comes to my mind. I then go back to your log and verify it.

I did download it from that link. I just didn't know that it was known as the main GM thread.

Anyway, I think I have fixed half the issue. I had either missed an install step or it didn't work the first time. I redid the step of pointing VMM to the super resolutions file and now GM is selecting correct (or very close) refresh rates so no more tearing.

GM is still selecting 2560 x 240 for almost every game instead of the native res though. Is this meant to happen in this version of GM (win 7 64 with an AMD HD5450)? Or have I missed another step?

In this guy's tutorial video he shows GM choosing native resolutions as well as refresh rates. Is he just using an older version of GM which works differently?

If GM is meant to be choosing a super wide res for each game, should we install custom modlines for the few where 2560 wide doesn't work so well?

I don't believe I have any actual software issues to report but if I ever find any, I promise to figure out the command line reporting thing. I doubt I will though. Your work is top notch!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:05:51 pm by Zebra »