Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game King 2 - Vewlix (RGB Lightbar installed!)  (Read 9245 times)

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
Game King 2 - Vewlix (RGB Lightbar installed!)
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:37 pm »

The old Game King coffee table was a lot of fun. However it also functioned as an actual coffee table... and the interior has received a makeover. So the coffee table is about to be replaced.
Lucky my wife supports my hobby and we found a nice spot for a worthy successor: thus project "Game King 2" was born.

Features:
  • Vewlix style- for longer game sessions.
  • Reuse of old Game King components: servosticks, 32" TV, the PC.
  • Coin door - so I can use the BYOAC tokens, Saint gifted me years ago.
  • Illuminated buttons and joysticks (Ultimarc IPAC Ultimate I/O).
  • A Playstation4 style 'lightbar' in the control panel, using an addressable LEDstrip. A test of the lightbar:

The current state:

Click this image for a youtube clip of the frontend in action:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:27:07 am by Felsir »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
Re: Game King 2 - Vewlix type cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:41 am »
I got myself a few components to get started:
In the picture you can also see a testfitting I did with the buttons. Inspired by the illuminated controls on Flynn's Arcade by ChanceKJ.
Some components (for example the Servosticks) are still in my old cabinet- but I'll remove them once needed.

At the start of the project, I checked a lot of other Vewlix builds so I had a clear picture of what to do and get some sense of dimensions.
Most of those builds start out with a "box" as a base unit. I figured to do it a bit differently. I feel it would reduce a bit of complexity without sacrificing the looks of the cabinet.

The idea is that the two side panels stack to create the outer frame part of the Vewlix look, however the inner half is also part of the box. Luckily I have a mill to copy the sections.
The sides will rest on a piece 3cm x 4cm x 50xm.
This is the result for the side sections:

This is the result with the front panel not yet fixed:

The front panel is fitted with ball catch fastener so the panel sits firm but can be easily removed. This way the cabinet can sit against a wall while I'm still able to access the PC inside the cabinet via the front.

For finishing I use Vinyl used to cover cars; it is flexible but also durable enough for the arcade. I picked black with a carbon finish.

This is a preview with the mockup control panel:

Another shot with the artwork behind plexiglass:

Finally a shot of the test with the lightbar:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:06:44 am by Felsir »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
Re: Game King 2 - Vewlix (pictures added)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:17:37 am »
Looks great!  I love the vinyl wrap - looks so much cleaner than paint. 

Do you think the ball catch would be strong enough to secure a control panel in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 01:35:24 pm »
Do you think the ball catch would be strong enough to secure a control panel in place?
It's strong enough to keep the front panel in place- I have to apply a bit of force to remove it. I can imagine that it works for a control panel- it really depends on how much abuse your arcade gets, YMMV.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »
Spend time to create the arch/marquee. It was quite complicated to mill this thing by hand. A CNC machine would be much better. I made a few small errors while creating the edges. So far nothing that cannot be fixed befor painting.

The TV is also in place:

The controls and RGB leds work! The LEDstrip is not yet connected so it's not yet visible in this photo.

The height is perfect for the stool. Also the overhang is nice so my knees won't bump against the coindoor. So in all I'm happy with the form factor.

Next up is the speaker panel and finishing the sides of the control panel. After that, lighting of the coindoor and the LED strip.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:09:39 pm by Felsir »

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
Re: Game King 2 - Vewlix (it's playable!)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »
This looks great. Where did you get the coin door and the vinyl?

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:04 am »
I've bought the coindoor (with mechs) here: https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/en/components/coin-mechs-doors/doors/coin-mech-door-square-model-2-slots.

The vinyl was from: https://www.premiumvinyls.nl/. It is car wrap vinyl and looks really nice.
I've added a closeup of a test wrap with orange vinyl, it handles well and you can wrap it on curved surfaces by using a blowdryer to heat the material.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:44:14 am »
I've bought the coindoor (with mechs) here: https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/en/components/coin-mechs-doors/doors/coin-mech-door-square-model-2-slots.
Don't you mean this one? https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/en/components/coin-mechs-doors/doors/coin-mech-door-2-slots (not the square model?). How did you get those buttons red/orange instead of yellow? The yellow was a reason for me not to order those doors from Arcadewinkel.nl, but Arcadeshop.de instead.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:54 pm »
Sorry, you're right- that is the one.

I asked them first to verify the color of the coin reject buttons, and they confirmed there was one with red buttons in stock. So I specified I wanted that one in my order.
The owner is quite helpful with queries about products, so it might be worth contacting him if you're looking for something specific.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:05:46 am »
Sorry, you're right- that is the one.

I asked them first to verify the color of the coin reject buttons, and they confirmed there was one with red buttons in stock. So I specified I wanted that one in my order.
The owner is quite helpful with queries about products, so it might be worth contacting him if you're looking for something specific.
Yup Arno is a good guy. Really helpful!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
So I added the RGB led-lightstrip:

It is an addressable ledstrip that is stuck to a plastic L shape corner; the leds are shining directly at a thin strip of acryllic. The strip was then covered with black tape to avoid bleeding of the light to the rest of the panel.
The result is quite nice- the colors flow nicely (picture doesn't do justice TBH):

I wrote software that controls the lights in the strip to show patterns, or it can listen to LEDBlinky's output so it can be controlled by LEDBlinky's set of features.

I also completed the speaker panel and the sides of the control panel:

It now sits nicely next to my regular PC so I can finish setting everything up :-)
The only big thing left is the filling the woodwork and painting/covering the parts of MDF that are still exposed. Though that may be postponed for a few weeks while I enjoy the games on the cabinet...

ilsiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 12:55:08 pm
Re: Game King 2 - Vewlix (RGB Lightbar installed!)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:05 pm »
Very nice build.  I especially like the carbon fiber vinyl.  What sort of prep work did you do on the MDF before applying the vinyl wrap?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 04:02:02 am »
So I added the RGB led-lightstrip:

It is an addressable ledstrip that is stuck to a plastic L shape corner; the leds are shining directly at a thin strip of acryllic. The strip was then covered with black tape to avoid bleeding of the light to the rest of the panel.
The result is quite nice- the colors flow nicely (picture doesn't do justice TBH):

I wrote software that controls the lights in the strip to show patterns, or it can listen to LEDBlinky's output so it can be controlled by LEDBlinky's set of features.

I also completed the speaker panel and the sides of the control panel:

It now sits nicely next to my regular PC so I can finish setting everything up :-)
The only big thing left is the filling the woodwork and painting/covering the parts of MDF that are still exposed. Though that may be postponed for a few weeks while I enjoy the games on the cabinet...

I really like that led strip. Do you power it with an Arduino? If so, would you mind sharing your software? I am considering RGB vs addressable leds under my cabinet. But I am not the best programmer, though I can rewrite some code if provided with some nice code.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:00:24 am »
It's an USB device, I made a C# systray app to run it- my arcade setup is Windows based. 
This is the device: Blinkstick flex. It plugs directly in the USB port without additional components. The device is quite simple to control with APIs available.

At first I considered getting an Arduino and an addressable ledstrip (like this or somthing like this) and send UDP packets from the Windows PC to the Arduino to control the strip- but it would increase complexity with powersupply to the strip and connecting the strip and so on.
So in the end the Blinkstick ledstrip was by far the easiest and turn-key solution I could find. Without the need additional components it was also cheap enough.

Ofcourse: I'm willing to assist where I can, -if you are going this route.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »
I actually made a VU meter for a subwoofer before with an Arduino, using a WS2812 strip. The code was adopted from some other arduino based VU meter, but I managed to alter the code to do whatever I wanted. And I will manage again, but I would need to search a bit more for interesting led animations, etc.
But first I need to finish the cab itself. I guess it is almost time for priming and painting, after my bezel glass has arrived.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 02:46:34 am »
..., but I would need to search a bit more for interesting led animations, etc.
Yeah, for the LED strip I found a light organic "glow" looks better than the elaborate attractmode patterns. So now my control panel buttons have animated patterns, blinks and whatnot.
For the LED strip I made an editor where you can combine sine, square, sawtooth-waves, interpolations, hue, intensity and color components to create organic patterns. I recorded a clip of the editor . The editor exports the pattern which is then used by my frontend to show the right patterns for each game/emulator.

But first I need to finish the cab itself. I guess it is almost time for priming and painting, after my bezel glass has arrived.
That glass bezel looks terrific!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:40 am »
I have the lights working in the way I like it :-)
For example, the C64 has the red fire button, and the ledstrip shows the rainbow as on the C64 case:

With the Gamecube games, the LED strip is in a purple hue:

Finally here is a youtube video of the frontend in action (click image for youtube video):

The buttons in the "filters" menu match the colors on screen which looks really nice.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:26:12 am by Felsir »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »
Really cool!

neohusky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2022, 09:10:44 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »
Hey Felsir

I love your cabinet. It's coming along nicely. The front end and button colouring looks really cool.

It's been ages since I updated my cab and to be honest did not invest a lot of time in my button ledBlinky animation. Any chance you'd share your animation file so I can use that as inspiration?

What front end are you running? it looks fantastic!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 02:48:37 pm »
I have added the lwax file to this post. I think you need the controls file too- but that would be specific to my setup I guess?

Thanks, I have made my own frontend. It is a bit of a hobby thing. The frontend supports Ledblinky, the LEDstrip. It can filter on category, genre etc, search.

neohusky

• Offline Offline
Game King 2 - Vewlix (RGB Lightbar installed!)
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 05:03:42 am »
Hey Felsir

I was hoping to adapt your attract mode animation to my setup. I was going to use your video to reverse engineer it, but, I think your right the control file and maybe the layout file will help decipher the lwax file  easier for mapping to my layout.  Is it too much of an ask to have a copy of these also?
A darned good hobby! You've done exceptionally well with it that front is really polished.
It's a shame that Ledstrips and addressable controllers weren't around when I started my cab back in 2011 :( It certainly on my wish list someday.

Edit...

No need for the addition files. With a slight modification to your file I was able to load it into animation editor with my layout. I then set about cutting and pasting your patterns over my layout. I was a reasonably easy process in the end. Thank you.

Here is the inspired WIP result.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:50:06 am by neohusky »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
Looking good! Nice work :-)

neohusky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:07 am »
Credit to your hard work! Keep it up