Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Having trouble understanding the wiring....  (Read 1185 times)

Leech_hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 11:41:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Having trouble understanding the wiring....
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »
So I'm taking the plunge and building a MAME cabinet.  Been reading and watching videos on and off for about a year.   I'm going to be using an Ultimarc IPAC ultimate IO board.

Im struggling to understand how it actually works in regards to how the board sends signals to the computer.  When I hit a pushbutton, does the voltage flow from the common/ground through the pushbutton microswitch, to the IO board pin?  Does it flow from the IO pin through the pushbutton and completes the circuit at the ground?

I assume it's the second question.  Is there no voltage potential on the IO pins unless it can complete the circuit to the ground (-)?!  Otherwise the pins would all be constantly firing.  Can someone explain how the pushbutton actually makes the IO pin send a keystroke to the computer?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Having trouble understanding the wiring....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:08 pm »
The type of circuit you're describing is an "active high" device such as a light fixture.
- When you flip the switch to "on", voltage is applied to the bulb causing it to light up.

Like most modern encoders, the IPac is an "active low" device that uses a pull-up resistor to apply a logic high (5v) to the input logic gate.
- When you press the button, the logic gate input is dragged down to ground. (logic low)

In plumbing terms, it's like flushing the toilet while someone is taking a shower.

The sudden drop in cold-water pipe pressure (voltage) causes a change in the hot/cold balance that triggers an output  :angry: .

Scott

Leech_hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 11:41:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Having trouble understanding the wiring....
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:13 pm »
Thank you!!  Makes sense