Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe r83 repair  (Read 2174 times)

alrolon800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2019, 07:47:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe r83 repair
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:59:25 pm »
so far soldered all bad joints on the mech control and selector control boards. really terrible cold solder joints on the memory board. did the best I could do cleaning off old solder and resoldering. found r728 burned out and now replaced. Q701 and Q702 legs are mostly green and dissolved upon touching. have ordered replacements and hope to get them soon. My problem started out with the magazine constantly spinning and mech control's scan light staying lit constantly. my service manual states this condition points to a bad memory unit or encoder. as soon as those transistors come in I will install and update on my progress. Thanks to everyone for the help

alrolon800

• Offline Offline
Re: Rowe r83 repair
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:02:03 pm »
I've got the q701 and q702 replaced. new battery installed.  scan led on mech board stays lit while carousel spins endlessly. data and clock flicker fast on the memory board. should I change all transistors on memory board. And how do I check the encoder

alrolon800

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:28:11 am »
Juke box started working!!! I let carousel spin for about 20 minutes and noticed data and clock led's blinking faster and faster. in about another 20 minutes carousel stopped and it was on slot 77. I read somewhere that this is the normal detent position and I put a quarter in and picked a song. it pulled out a wrong selection and it played. after another 1/2 hour it picked exactly every song I selected. NOW I can only assume a bad capacitor on either the Mech or Memory board is bad. They tend to get better as they warm up. I will now get my heat gun out and heat up each board to see which one is giving me the problem then pull out capacitors (electrolytic only) to find which ones are bad. Will keep my progress posted. Having so much fun with this.

alrolon800

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 06:42:44 am »
Merry Christmas everyone. Got my Christmas present early yesterday when I found the problem to this r83. Metal foil traces on the memory board to the molex plug p703 were severed. couldn't see it even with the magnifier. scratched off protective green insulation and soldered pin 10 and 11 directly to the foil. works great. Now if someone can tell me why speakers pop when amp turns on and off during record changes I'm in heaven.

ottervswolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 12:48:37 am
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:27:20 pm »
I have the same issues when I turn on my R85. It's starting to spin and spin when I turn it on.

Lately, when I pick a selection, it lays the 45 on the platter, plays about 1 second then returns it.
Zero clues on what's happening.

It's sporadic so I'm guessing it's a cap issue as well.

I get those loud pops as well when I flip it on. Which makes me thing connections in the amp. But it's not a huge issue for me ( I say that now)... I just want it to work again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk