Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet kit advice  (Read 2837 times)

ekinskofer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2021, 02:55:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cabinet kit advice
« on: October 01, 2018, 01:10:37 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an older arcade cabinet kit and I need some advice on the setup. Here's the details of it.

Wells Gardner 27D9202 Arcade monitor
2 stick configuration, HAPP optical Rotary sticks (no rotary connection) with enough buttons using Ipac first gen controller with PS/2 output.
Roller with Optipac PS/2 output.
coin box (not wired)

It's running now on an ancient and super loud AMD 3000, 1 gig ram, and Geforce 3 TI running on windows XP. I've tried setting up ES and have it running with mame, but the other systems I'm having issues with it. The front end is basic and my kids don't get it. I want something easy to setup and get this project moving along. I'd also like something that could make use of the native resolutions on my monitor. So here's my requirements:

- Play games up to N64, I believe the RPI 3B+ can handle this based on what I've seen on YT as of late.
- Make use of the resolutions my wells gardner can support. 15hz right up to 800x600.
- Quiet. I'm tired of my cabinet sounding like it's a hurricane.
- Allow for ps/2 input for the ipac and optipac. Or ps/2 connectors using a USB adapter
- As painless as possible configuration for my cabinet.

Here's my questions:

1. With my arcade setup, do you recommend the RPI3B+ or a custom built PC? I really do not want to go down building another PC, however, if there's significant benefit or requirements based on my arcade setup then I will consider.
2. What VGA adaptor do I need to make use of this monitor? Recommendations?
3. Can the RPI3B+ do anything like the CRT_emudriver? any links or threads? Where's the best location to find how to configure my monitor for the RPI? I'd like support for the games original monitor frequencies if possible.
4. Can the RPI3B+ support my older ipacs with usb to PS/2 connectors?
5. Where can I find out how to gracefully turn off my RPI as well as turn off my cabinet monitor (and other string lights and stuff) with a single push button switch? I see in the stickies how to do this just for the RPI, but I can't seem to find this out for the rest of the peripherals.

Lots of questions here.. thanks so much in advance for help.

many thanks,

E

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Cabinet kit advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 02:35:16 am »
1. If you can afford it, go for a (silent) PC. N64 will never work well on a RPi3.
5. Use a relay or master/slave power strip.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:52:55 am »
I would look into an off lease Dell with a 4th gen i5, 8gb of ram, and windows 7.  Then add an SSD.  You can probably get all in for under $250. I think a 3ghz i5 would handle N64 just fine.

BTW I love a pi for bartops and for a small portable console emulator.  But not for this type of application.  Even a off lease $89 dell 2nd gen i5 will run circles around a pi.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:54:56 am by smass »

ekinskofer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2021, 02:55:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:49:17 pm »
Thanks guys, great advice. I think that you've persuaded me to move to a PC. I'll scan CL, or perhaps dell refurb for a deal.

As for some of my other questions (perhaps this should be moved to a different forum):

How do I achieve as painless as possible configuration for my cabinet.

I've had major challenges with configuring Emulation Station and my Roms and getting it to a point of an attractive front end and not having to configure my inputs for every ROM. Do you have links or tutorials for configuring stuff? I don't have weeks/months of time to devote to this as a hobby.

5. Where can I find out how to gracefully turn off my RPI as well as turn off my cabinet monitor (and other string lights and stuff) with a single push button switch? I see in the stickies how to do this just for the RPI, but I can't seem to find this out for the rest of the peripherals.

Since I'm now looking at a PC, how do I configure a circuit or what not to
a) put my computer to sleep
b) cut the power to my monitor

and vice versa for when I switch it on. Please feel free to move this to general or whatever if needed.

Many thanks guys!

E

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »
I've had major challenges with configuring Emulation Station and my Roms and getting it to a point of an attractive front end and not having to configure my inputs for every ROM. Do you have links or tutorials for configuring stuff? I don't have weeks/months of time to devote to this as a hobby.

There are all inclusive one download solutions out there.  Conversations about these are restricted on the forum.  But a one download completely configured solution exists.  I use one.  On all my cabs.

Here is a link to a review, if questions pm me