Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: raspberry Pi poweroff options  (Read 2883 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
raspberry Pi poweroff options
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:52:10 am »
I've been tinkering with the idea of rebuilding my bartop Defender. If I do, I'll post a small update in Project Announcements.

The problem with it is that I used a PC on the initial build. It worked fine for a couple years, but 1 reboot and it was dead. I'm fairly sure the windows install is corrupt. It was a tight squeeze putting PC guts in it, so this time around I want to do things different. This bartop only plays Defender (doesn't even play Stargate). I want to be able to power off with a lightswitch and not worry about having to reboot it.

• 19-n-1 multigame: disable all games but Defender. I already own a jamma harness and power supply. The 19-n-1 costs less than $50.
  • Raspberry Pi: Launch directly into Defender. I already have a Pi, power supply and encoder.

I'd use the pi, if there is a way to power it off without worrying about corrupting the image. The 19-n-1 is pretty rock solid, but I'd prefer to not shell out the $50. One way or another, I got to get this bartop back in business. Is my Rpi knowledge out of date? Is there a way to power it off abruptly and not worry about corruption? If there isn't, I'm going with the 19-n-1.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: raspberry Pi poweroff options
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:38:35 pm »
I like this one.

https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/

I've used em before, very reliable.

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:52:38 am »

How into Defender are you? Do you want to play different versions and different settings, and have separate hi-scores tables?

My view:

19in1:   Untested but I suspect laggy. 1 ROM, 1 hiscore table.
RasPi:   Possible to build a non-laggy setup. Many ROMS/setting/hiscore tables.
PC:       Possible to build a non-laggy setup. Many ROMS/setting/hiscore tables.
JROK:   Non-laggy. 3 Roms x 2 settings

For what it's worth, since turning off disk caching I've been unable to corrupt my windows7 build while testing hard power cuts.

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:32 pm »
Appreciate the thoughtful reply.

Laggy is a good way to describe defender. I'm leaning towards the 19-n-1. It'll be a quick easy conversion and I can't expect my kids to know to power down a computer or a pi.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:40:09 am »
I have a 19-in-1 dedicated to Defender only in one of my cabinets (with a dedicated control panel with 2-way joystick and the correct  button layout) and it plays fine.
Sure I would rather have a JROK board, but I can't justify the price difference. If I had an original Williams cabinet with a dead board set, sure then it would be a different story.

Since i'm 45 in a couple of weeks my reactions is way beyond any lag that might be in this emulation anyway and since the game is so damn hard I can never blame the emulation of being poor when I die.
Haven't played the original so I can't tell how accurate it is. It is however looking valid but others might have a different opinion.
It sounds good also and boots really fast. No mess with configuration just plug n play.

The big down side however is the lack of high score saving.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:34:07 pm »
Good to know. This is the route I plan on going. Thanks.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:03:15 am »
Bit late to the party but I have used mausberry circuits to power cycle my Pi with good success to.

Very easy to install and works perfect.

I used one in my neo geo bartop.

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:51 pm »
Mausberry, I've used it in five and counting, RPi projects with no problems.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
Has anyone tried this method, using just a button connected to the GPIO and some software?  Seems like a simple and cheap solution, if it works.

Of course, you'd need a reset button as well, to bring the power back up without pulling the power cable.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:10:36 pm »
Has anyone tried this method, using just a button connected to the GPIO and some software?  Seems like a simple and cheap solution, if it works.

Of course, you'd need a reset button as well, to bring the power back up without pulling the power cable.

I am planning to try this method: