Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: can't open mame  (Read 7891 times)

bpjacobsen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 09:44:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
can't open mame
« on: September 29, 2018, 11:59:27 am »
Hi, when I try to run mame64 the command box blinks then nothing happens. So I ran it in cmd and I get  the direct3d error your graphics card does not support non-power-of-two-textures. I  found another thread and commented  out the following snippet but   same issue still. does this mean my card is not  gonna work? mame 193. rather not have to upgrade.  too much work trying to  get the   compatible rom versions. My   card is an ATI  Radeon. 512mb so it's older. two dvi ports. just trying to  make good use of  a $65 pc  purchase. 3.2 gh dual  core pentium. windows 7 4gb  ram. 250 gb SSD  drive (that I  added yesterday)

/*
   if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_NONPOW2CONDITIONAL)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not fully support non-power-of-two\n");
      osd_printf_error("textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }

if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not support non-power-of-two textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }
   if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_SQUAREONLY)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not support non-square textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }
*/

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
Re: can't open mame
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:27:55 am »
If you commented out the messages and they still appear, it means you didn't do it properly. Did you recompile after making the change?

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 07:00:58 pm »
Hi, when I try to run mame64 the command box blinks then nothing happens. So I ran it in cmd and I get  the direct3d error your graphics card does not support non-power-of-two-textures. I  found another thread and commented  out the following snippet but   same issue still. does this mean my card is not  gonna work? mame 193. rather not have to upgrade.  too much work trying to  get the   compatible rom versions. My   card is an ATI  Radeon. 512mb so it's older. two dvi ports. just trying to  make good use of  a $65 pc  purchase. 3.2 gh dual  core pentium. windows 7 4gb  ram. 250 gb SSD  drive (that I  added yesterday)

/*
   if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_NONPOW2CONDITIONAL)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not fully support non-power-of-two\n");
      osd_printf_error("textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }

if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not support non-power-of-two textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }
   if (caps.TextureCaps & D3DPTEXTURECAPS_SQUAREONLY)
   {
      osd_printf_error("Direct3D Error: Your graphics card does not support non-square textures.\n");
      success = false;
   }
*/

The error messages aren't there to annoy you, they're there because MAME needs those features to work.  Commenting them out will just give you a MAME that ignores the errors, but will be at the very best, highly unstable, but more likely simply not work at all but without telling you why.

They exist to help you.

You could try -video opengl or -video bgfx as those modes have different requirements to d3d

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »
Sorry but can you please clarify what you mean by "try -video opengl or -video bgfx as those modes have different requirements to d3d"? Where/how do I do that? Thanks

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:32:09 am »
On the command line..

>mame64 -video opengl

or

>mame64 -video bgfx

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 11:22:21 pm »
I can run this normally from the command line. This is only happening when I try to open mame64 via the icon in the mame folder. Makes no sense to me. I just did a clean install of windows since the one that was on this PC was not genuine apparently. But still having the same issues. Note also that when I tried to run mame64 before installing the video card drivers, it did nothing at all. After installing the video card drivers, now it sits with the black screen and spinning circle. This tells me it's definitely related to the graphics card?? any other suggestions? Maybe disable something in my Nvidia Experience application?

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 07:28:24 am »
by showing that you're modifying files etc. you're invalidating all lines of support.

there's no funamental difference between running from commandline or double clicking the exe, so if it fails in one situation but not the other it is almost certainly something of your own doing or a serious problem with your entire Windows install.

You should be testing with the official version from
https://www.mamedev.org/release.php
ONLY

extracted into a clean folder, not overwriting an old one.

it will either work, or it won't.

if it doesn't work, run with "mame64 -cc" to create a mame.ini

in that mame.ini change
video                     auto
to
video                     bgfx
or
video                     opengl

if it STILL doesn't work with either of those options, it isn't going to work reliably no matter what you do.

since you've already basically shown that your hardware is incapable of supporting MAME's video card requirement it sounds like you've hacked around that problem and found the reason those messages are there in the first place.  A lot of the hacks you'll find around have severe unwanted side-effects.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:33:42 am by Haze »

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:15:44 am »
Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned, I have long trashed the modified script and started fresh with new mame folder and files with no mods to scripts just so you are aware. No hacking here, just trying to follow whatever suggestions people can provide. Last night I re-installed windows using the same CD I used in my VP cab where it worked fine. This is not a problem with my windows install nonetheless. What I found interesting is I accidentally created a .bat file that launches mame fine from the icon. (was intending to create a new ini file but forgot the -cc part) Don't know why the stock mame64 or mame (32 bit version) behave like this. There should be no reason my video card should not work as it is a name brand but simple gaming card. I had already tried setting every single video option then running from the icon and continued to have the same issue. I agree, fundamentally, there should be no difference, but there obviously is some reason or other that it does not like that icon. I may just run with the batch file I created and point my rocket launcher setup to that instead of the original. Right now I'm trying to get the spinner working (another thread) and yet another mystery that remains to be solved. Thanks again for your input. I will report back if I have any further updates.

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »
There should be no reason my video card should not work as it is a name brand but simple gaming card.

If it doesn't even support non-power of 2 textures it's a *really* bad card, usually that's only an issue for terrible onboard GPUs.  Both the OpenGL 2.0 (2004) and DirectX10 (2007) spec require it AFAIK, and the majority of decent DX9 cards support it too (hence why MAME can use it, and needs it)  Considering DX10 was introduced with Vista that's hardly recent and absolutely not what would be considered a gaming card in the last decade.

Chances are the card is too weak to render the internal UI properly, it would not surprise me if you got the same hang / crash if you open up the 'tab' menu and go to 'select new machine' which will cause the same initial screen to be rendered.

This kind of issue with old cards is one reason a lot of projects / developers are dropping XP support entirely and requiring DX10 as it guarantees compatible hardware.  Trying to use power of 2 textures for everything is very messy from a code point of view.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:12:29 pm by Haze »

bpjacobsen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 11:44:06 pm »
That error was only received with the older ATA Radeon card. I have since replaced that with a Nvidia 2gb geforce 710 card. I don't get that error running it in command with the new card. Only error I get now is error loading sound or something like that. guessing b/c I don't have any speakers connected yet. But the hangup remains a mystery. I realize this is a basic video card but for mame it should be more than sufficient. I'm not running halo or something intense here. We are talking about neanderthall games. I would find it very hard to believe quite frankly that even the old card would not run it. But here is a link to my new card:
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZHOX5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 11:01:07 am »
Ok, yes, in that case the problem is more surprising.

It would suggest a corrupt file in your MAME folder that the program can't process when trying to bring up the GUI

but if you're using a 100% clean install there shouldn't be any bad files in there.

as you've found something that works for you there's not much more I can do.

Khenemet Heru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 06:27:09 pm
  • I want him in the games until he dies playing.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:02:45 pm »
If you were running Windows 10, I would tell you to disable fullscreen optimizations in the exe properties compatibility tab, as I found a couple days ago that that was the only way to get it to run using d3d for the video; I never had any problem like that with any version on Windows 7, or with any version of MAME up to 0.195 on Windows 10, but it may be something to look for anyway as d3d anything wasn't working without that change when I updated to 0.202.

Another thing to check is that you have switchres set to 0 in your mame.ini, esp. if you're running this on an LCD monitor as it might be going out of range, but I would think that would happen via command line as well if that were the case. Still, it was another black screen/spinning beachball I ran into yesterday.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:06:04 pm by Khenemet Heru »
No Boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's ALWAYS a Boom tomorrow. - Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5