Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: making ROM lists in 2018  (Read 1854 times)

Khenemet Heru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 06:27:09 pm
  • I want him in the games until he dies playing.
making ROM lists in 2018
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »
Since the last time I had to update my lists for a new MAME was around 0.179, I have started fresh only to find that the tools I used, like ROMlister and Lightspeed MAMELister are no longer working very well due to the MESS integration "mess" that resulted over time (as I expected), and due to other changes that have been made to the ini/xml/dat formats the tools relied upon... 

In trying to get my set down to all the playable (even if slightly flawed) ROMs without completely broken or unplayable (i.e. Mechanical/Console/Computer/Calculator) ROMs, I find I can't trust that the old tools are giving me exactly what I'm trying to achieve. So I thought I'd ask what tools and methods people are using to make their lists/pare down their sets in this modern era?

I'm running Attract Mode as my frontend, I know that matters for output format.
No Boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's ALWAYS a Boom tomorrow. - Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

dgame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
Re: making ROM lists in 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:20:11 am »
ROMLister build 31.2
+ updates for MAME 162 XML formatting.  For now, I just convert it back to pre 162 formatting, in the future you will get a choice to do this or not.