Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee 2005 boot error (error code 3)  (Read 2636 times)

negzero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2018, 03:45:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden Tee 2005 boot error (error code 3)
« on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:03 pm »
Hey guys. Trying to get my golden tee 2005 up and running. I've got a green board and it recently started giving me an error code 3. It powers on, runs through initial diagnostics and then poof, error code 3 before loading the game.

I've reseated all cables / chips / video card as well as tested it without a HDD (and I get a missing HDD error). Any idea what might cause this? Since I'm seeing video / etc. I'm thinking it's either the mother board or the HDD. Doesn't make sense it would be the PSU if it's getting this far.

Thanks in advance.,

negzero

• Offline Offline
Re: Golden Tee 2005 boot error (error code 3)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:59:40 pm »
Nobody? :(

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:41:58 pm »
check your +5v on the board. you'll want it about 5.10 to 5.15 test it on a DIP chip on the board itself like the boot rom or one of the security chips.

voltage will be + and - on opposite corners of the chip with the positive opposite side of the chip from pin 1 and negative on the row all the way down from pin 1

negzero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:51:57 pm »
check your +5v on the board. you'll want it about 5.10 to 5.15 test it on a DIP chip on the board itself like the boot rom or one of the security chips.

voltage will be + and - on opposite corners of the chip with the positive opposite side of the chip from pin 1 and negative on the row all the way down from pin 1

That's been a known cause of a boot code 3 on screen? Interesting. I was thinking it might be a corrupt / dying HDD. I'll pull out the multimeter and give it a look.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:37:04 pm »
could be either or. these boards a pretty sensitive in their voltages. all kinds of weirdness happens if the voltage is low. i wouldn't discount a failing HD either though. if it's still original, i'd look into replacing it.

be sure your eagle boot rom is the latest version, or a new drive will fail to boot.

negzero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:46:42 pm »
Tested / adjusted voltage on the chip as you recommended. Still failed. So I ordered a boot rom and drive and replaced the old disk with a CF drive. We're back up and running! Thanks for the advice. Was nice to rule out the PSU before shelling out for a drive :)