Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Weird speaker crackle after replacing the speakers..  (Read 1285 times)

Caldwaller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 01:26:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Weird speaker crackle after replacing the speakers..
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:00 am »
I've been fixing up a SFII Turbo cabinet, (bought some art work from the vendor section) and 1 speaker worked, the other was dead.. I replaced them both with the exact same brand and model speakers, and they work fine for about 5 minutes and then start crackling and going on and off..

Everything is wired the same, I've double checked to made sure all the earths are still there, as far as I can tell literally the only difference is the speakers.. so I have no idea, and hoping someone else might..

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:10:16 pm
Re: Weird speaker crackle after replacing the speakers..
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »
Maybe you swapped - and + on one of the two speakers?

Caldwaller

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:31:19 pm »
Maybe, I'll give it a looky..

Thanks.

Caldwaller

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:45:49 am »
Turns out it only likes one speaker.. One speaker plugged in, works fine.. both crackling.. so it's half sorted

Game_Dr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:17 pm »
I've been fixing up a SFII Turbo cabinet, (bought some art work from the vendor section) and 1 speaker worked, the other was dead.. I replaced them both with the exact same brand and model speakers, and they work fine for about 5 minutes and then start crackling and going on and off..

Everything is wired the same, I've double checked to made sure all the earths are still there, as far as I can tell literally the only difference is the speakers.. so I have no idea, and hoping someone else might..

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

If one speaker was bad and it only started doing the crackle after 5 minutes go straight to the audio amp IC.

Turn on the game and let it start to crackle. Turn a can of air upside down so you get the liquid and shoot the IC with a 2-3 second burst. If the crackle disappears then you have a bad audio amp IC which is not uncommon in a speaker failure.

Be aware having a metal can inside a live cabinet...   :dizzy:

Jverive

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2018, 02:40:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 08:27:22 pm »
This sounds like a bad coupling capacitor, so check those too (if the amp uses them, of course). Otherwise I agree that the audio amp IC (or transistor driver or other thermally sensitive device in the audio path) is suspect. Also check power supply voltages.