Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Real Time Clock for RPi  (Read 2429 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Real Time Clock for RPi
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:20:50 am »
I ordered a RTC circuit board from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/battery-Raspberry-Arduino-Atomic-Market/dp/B01M105UFC/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9MXA2DFDVRBN0HH1D42N

(Sorry for the long link).

I installed it on my photobooth's RPi and it seems to be working great.
Now the RPi doesnt lose date and time when I shut it off. It would get correct date and time from the internet, but only if a connection was available.
This clock has a battery and keeps date and time just like the PC's do.
I needed this because Im adding the option to watermark date and time on each photo the photobooth takes.

It takes up 5 pins of the GPIO, so I had to do some re-arranging of the pins I was using for other things. Just keep this in mind if you decide to get one. This one occupies pins 1,3,5,7, and 9.
Im sure there are RTCs out there that will still let you piggy back off those pins, but this one doesnt.
So far my only gripe is that the shipping was almost as much as the part.

Edit: It also comes with NO paperwork or instructions. However some kind users have posted how to program it in the comments section on that amazon post.
If you get one and need help, holler at me. I can send you the instructions that worked for me.

Here is s a photo of it installed on my RPi2 B
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:28:00 am by DaOld Man »