Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U Trak got fried - anyone ever replaced the opto boards?  (Read 1299 times)

PocketDeucesNJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2018, 09:09:00 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
U Trak got fried - anyone ever replaced the opto boards?
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:32 pm »
Hey all.  I recently had a power surge or something that fried my power strip, my PC motherboard, my IPAC and my U Trak trackball.  (Yes, it was a very nasty surprise.)  I replaced the USB interface card on the U Trak, but it's not responding on my PC - Windows sees a mouse device, but the ball doesn't do anything.  Andy at Ultimarc offered to sell me the two "opto boards" inside the U Trak so I don't have to replace the whole unit.  Has anyone replaced these before?  I'd like to know how difficult of a replacement it is, if I'm gonna do that instead of replacing the whole trackball.

Game_Dr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 pm
Re: U Trak got fried - anyone ever replaced the opto boards?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:55:40 pm »
I do not know what your skill level is so I can not make a recommendation for you but I think there is an oversight here.
the track ball is connected via USB and that means there is more involved than just the opto boards, if the opto bards are even bad. I would be surprised if the interface board between the USB and the opto units is not fried and depending on that price would be a deal killer on repair. It could be just the interface board or the interface plus the optics in the worst case scenario.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:39:53 am »
Uh... he mentioned he replaced the interface board.

Go for the optics. It’s not rocket science. :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PocketDeucesNJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2018, 09:09:00 am
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:00:59 am »
Thanks for the help guys!  It turned out that my opto boards were fine - I tested them individually with my Arduino breadboard and found that they are working.  The USB pins have changed in the last 10 years or so, so I just need to rig my wires so that they connect to the right pins.