Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Paint Removal Ms.Pacman  (Read 3565 times)

Csdoplr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 10:31:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Paint Removal Ms.Pacman
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:12:26 pm »
Hello all,

I am new here and just got into restoring arcade machines. I found an old Ms.Pacman machine that someone painted over. I am looking to restore this but am wondering if it is possible to maybe remove the new paint (it’s just white) and hopefully show the old artwork underneath? Is this possible to do and if so how would one go about this to make sure the original artwork and paint underneath is not ruined assuming it is still on the cabinet?

Thanks!

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: Paint Removal Ms.Pacman
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:24:28 pm »
Magic eraser and isopropyl alcohol and hours of elbow grease but still no guarantee you'll like what you uncover.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:07:12 pm »
citristrip has worked for other's.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:19:15 pm »
Citristrip will eat through all the paint including your silk screening below.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 09:01:24 pm »
Remove parts, T moulding, coin door ECT....Soak a rag in automotive grade reducer (not acetone), And get a spot about a foot square wet, really drippy wet with a gentle "polish on" motion, and wipe it off almost immediately with a dry rag in the other had "polish off" motion...And work your way around the whole panel like that not letting it saturate, (Or it will lift the paint underneath) for awhile it will seem nothing is happening but after about the 4th pass it should start to give. don't get excited and start scrubbing it or it will lift the paint... Just keep after the white stubborn spots like above, (polish on, polish of) Eventually it will be gone with a white haze over the original paint, let dry (at least overnight) and do it again with clean rags, It takes about 2 gals of reducer, and ten pounds (give or take) of clean cotton rags,  Use adequate ventilation, cause it will be a toxic stinky vapor mess....Its not usually worth the trouble however, the paint underneath most likely has issues, (why it was repainted) If so sand it smooth repaint and cover with vinyl pac art, or repaint and stencil. 

Game_Dr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »
Magic eraser and isopropyl alcohol and hours of elbow grease but still no guarantee you'll like what you uncover.

Your actions truly depend on the paint used. IF it is some form of latex use a heat gun. Practice on a part of the game that will be hidden to determine how much heat is needed. Do not use any more heat than is necessary of course. Warm it up and then use a plastic scraper. The silk screen can take the heat. If that does not work keep in mind paint removers of any type will eat the silk screen faster than it will take the white paint off....   :angry:

snakerake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 11:08:30 am
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 11:53:34 pm »
Give mostenbockers latex paint remover a try, I just did the same with it on a burgertime, it lifted two layers of paint without damaging the original stencil too much.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbockers-22-oz-Lift-Off-5-Latex-Based-Paint-Remover-413-01/100047250

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:20:14 am »
blas·phe·my
ˈblasfəmē/
noun
noun: blasphemy; plural noun: blasphemies

1. the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.
    "he was detained on charges of blasphemy"
    synonyms:   profanity, sacrilege, irreligion, irreverence, taking the Lord's name in vain, swearing, curse, cursing, impiety, desecration; archaicexecration
    "the nuns would punish me at least three times a week for my blasphemy"
    antonyms:   reverence

2. the act of painting over existing arcade artwork.
     "a previous owner painted over the existing Ms. PacMan artwork with white paint. Mother ---smurf--- blasphemy!"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:34:39 am by SlammedNiss »
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:55 pm »
Ive used latex and spray paint remover with great results. Ive had both good and bad experiences with citristrip
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.