Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone else play the new Spiderman on PS4?  (Read 4774 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Anyone else play the new Spiderman on PS4?
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:51:45 am »
I recently completed the new Spiderman on PS4 and really enjoyed it, anyone else playing and what'd you think?

The good...
The traversal mechanics are fantastic, it's a joy to swing around the city as Spidey. Combat is a lot of fun and does a great job capturing the myriad ways Spiderman can take down enemies combining standard punching/kicking with gadgets, swinging and parkour. The story and voice acting are exceptional. Challenges scattered around the city mix up the game types well, some are combat, some are time challenges, some stealth. Great variety of powerups, suits and gadgets. The camera modes are a fun little extra I hadn't expected, surprisingly enjoyable to find various spots around the city to take Spider-selfies.  ;D

A few minor gripes...
1.) The enemy and crime types get a little repetitive. 2.) The stealth missions with the normies, ie. Mary Jane and Miles, were a slog and didn't do much for me. I think they were added for pacing and storytelling but fall flat and end up just being a chore. Luckily they don't take long. 3.) The boss battles, while incredibly dramatic and cinematic, mostly involve the same tactic to stun your opponent and then a series of button press quicktime events so they feel a little less challenging and/or satisfying. Visually they remain impressive but from a gameplay standpoint are rudimentary.

None of that kept me from loving this game though, it's a solid 8 out of 10 or higher if you like Spiderman. This game really captures the feeling of being the webslinger, moreso than any other Spiderman game I've played to date. I'm still trying to 100% the game (have a few suits to unlock) and it's remained fun which is a testament to it's core game mechanics and quality. Definitely looking forward to DLC and it's also setup nice for a sequel.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Anyone else play the new Spiderman on PS4?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:39:02 pm »
Looks cool, but I'm actually try to clear out some backlog lately.  Probably be a year before I get to this one.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »
Looks cool, but I'm actually try to clear out some backlog lately.  Probably be a year before I get to this one.

Definitely put it on your list even if it's a year down the road. It's a blast just to swing around the city and the combat a blur of parkour, webs and beatdowns. Pure super hero power fantasy at it's finest. If you're a Marvel or Spiderman fan it should go to the top of your list. ;D 
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:52:43 pm »
Sure, man, no matter how long the list gets, I'll impulse buy them at $10.  It'll be at that price point in a year.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:04:18 pm »
Sure, man, no matter how long the list gets, I'll impulse buy them at $10.  It'll be at that price point in a year.

For sure, there'll be a sequel and a bunch of DLC so I'm sure so the price will go way down. They sold 3.3M copies in the first 3 days plus had 1 million pre-orders. Given that popularity and the good reviews I'd expect at the very least something like a GOTY edition that gathers the DLC together with the original at a lower price.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:52:04 pm »
It's honestly the only time I've ever had console envy.  Most PlayStation exclusives aren't for me and that's putting it lightly, but this one is in my wheelhouse.  I've always enjoyed the spiderman video games. 

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:53 pm »
It's honestly the only time I've ever had console envy.  Most PlayStation exclusives aren't for me and that's putting it lightly, but this one is in my wheelhouse.  I've always enjoyed the spiderman video games.

Bummer you can't play, interested to hear what others thought. It's in my wheelhouse for sure so I was predisposed to like it going in though I doubt even the most jaded gamer could dislike this game. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 02:12:50 am »
I'll play it eventually.  Next generation I'll be able to get a ps4 cheap and I'll try it then.  I'm perfectly happy with my xbone. 

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:51:22 am »
I'll play it eventually.  Next generation I'll be able to get a ps4 cheap and I'll try it then.  I'm perfectly happy with my xbone.

That's the great thing about the day and age we live in, no shortage of stuff to play on any platform! Got backlog for days.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:26:50 am »
My son has been playing it and it looks really fun.  He loves it.  I'm still trying to finish up Far Cry 5 but I'll get around to Spider-Man eventually...

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:11 am »
Looks like the DLC was already announced. It's called The City That Never Sleeps and is being released in 3 episodic parts, the first on October 23rd, then one in November and December. The episodes are called The Heist, Turf Wars and Silver Lining. The Heist is about Black Cat, no word on the other two but the guess is that Silver Lining has to do with Silver Sable since she was in the main story. They are going to be $9.99 each or $25 for all 3.

So for anyone waiting to play you'll have more content to plow through. Let the backlog flow.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:53:29 am by 8BitMonk »

kane916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2023, 01:06:27 am
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »
I redboxed it for a weekend($7 bucks for 3 days) and really liked it. Was like a modern version of the ps2 one I really liked. Once there is a complete edition on sale it will be a must buy for me.

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 12:28:04 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:33:53 am »
I recently completed the new Spiderman on PS4 and really enjoyed it, anyone else playing and what'd you think?

The good...
The traversal mechanics are fantastic, it's a joy to swing around the city as Spidey. Combat is a lot of fun and does a great job capturing the myriad ways Spiderman can take down enemies combining standard punching/kicking with gadgets, swinging and parkour. The story and voice acting are exceptional. Challenges scattered around the city mix up the game types well, some are combat, some are time challenges, some stealth. Great variety of powerups, suits and gadgets. The camera modes are a fun little extra I hadn't expected, surprisingly enjoyable to find various spots around the city to take Spider-selfies.  ;D

A few minor gripes...
1.) The enemy and crime types get a little repetitive. 2.) The stealth missions with the normies, ie. Mary Jane and Miles, were a slog and didn't do much for me. I think they were added for pacing and storytelling but fall flat and end up just being a chore. Luckily they don't take long. 3.) The boss battles, while incredibly dramatic and cinematic, mostly involve the same tactic to stun your opponent and then a series of button press quicktime events so they feel a little less challenging and/or satisfying. Visually they remain impressive but from a gameplay standpoint are rudimentary.

None of that kept me from loving this game though, it's a solid 8 out of 10 or higher if you like Spiderman. This game really captures the feeling of being the webslinger, moreso than any other Spiderman game I've played to date. I'm still trying to 100% the game (have a few suits to unlock) and it's remained fun which is a testament to it's core game mechanics and quality. Definitely looking forward to DLC and it's also setup nice for a sequel.

I pre-ordered and picked it up on the first day...  Took maybe a couple weeks for me to 100% the game, all trophies, etc.  I loved the game, and even the stuff you found to be a "slog" I really enjoyed...  About the only thing I didn't care for were the chase missions, but otherwise the game was fantastic.  Also got the artbook for it, will be getting the DLC, have the related novel, and pre-ordered the Marvel Legends action figure of that Spider-Man version.  So yeah, big fan...  :)