Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finding a monitor/TV that will start "on" when powered up  (Read 2809 times)

MoebiusStreet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 07:40:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Finding a monitor/TV that will start "on" when powered up
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:38:32 am »
I believe that most TVs these days have "soft" power controls, so that when they're plugged in (or their power strip switched on), they go directly into a stand-by state awaiting a command, rather than just plain-old turning on. That's obviously an obstacle for incorporating them into an arcade cabinet.

Does anybody know of modern TVs, preferably of the 32" class, that will power up directly into an "on" state? Or is there some obscure specification on the manufacturer's websites that I should go look for?

I'm planning out my first build, a Vigolix-style cabinet. I've got my head around plans for everything else, but this seems a real stumbling block. If the cabinet has a proper bezel in front of the display, I wouldn't even be able to push a button on the display, as it'd be blocked behind the bezel. I suppose I could go without a bezel, mounting the display in front of a piece of wood, but that would be a huge negative in aesthetics.

Can anyone point me in the direction around this?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Finding a monitor/TV that will start "on" when powered up
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:15:07 pm »
Not sure about TV’s but I tend to use computer monitors.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
You can often change power on/off behaviour from the service mode.

One of my cabs has a Loewe TV in it that needs power switch cycled to start. I can't get to service mode as I don't have the right original remote. It also needs a momentary switch to be triggered at the same time. So I added a power button that I recycled from another old/dead TV (for the AC power) and a normal arcade button for the momentary (DC low voltage). Placed it at the back of the cab on P1 side (left), so that it is easy for P1 to reach behind the cab, press/hold the momentary while cycling the main power button.

All it took was an old TV power button, an old arcade button, a tiny bit of soldering and some minor carpentry. Used a small piece of "breadboard" for soldering the power switch, a spare off-cut piece of wood and a few screws to mount. Had to drill a couple of holes for the buttons.

Although I did this to get around problem with the TV not coming on automatically, it has proved handy in other ways because now I can keep the TV/monitor off when I don't need/want it eg during startup. 
Check out my completed projects!

DorkVonWaterfall

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 07:11:45 am
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:45:58 am »
if scart then 8-12vdc on pin 8

:applaud:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:32:26 pm »
if scart then 8-12vdc on pin 8

:applaud:

Unfortunately that is only for AV mode/4:3 ratio switching. It doesn't work for turning TV on automatically and didn't work for my Loewe (I tried). If this does happen to work for your particular TV, then that's great, but don't expect it.

DorkVonWaterfall

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 07:11:45 am
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 04:44:05 am »
Voltage   TV behaviour
0-0,4V   TV will turn off, and stay off.
5-8V     TV will turn on in 16:9 aspect ratio. The channel will be set on the scart input (usually called "AV")
9,5-12V   TV will turn on in 4:3 aspect ratio. The channel will be set on the scart input (usually called "AV")

and you`re right, not all tv`s support this feature, but many do

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:14 am »
Voltage   TV behaviour
0-0,4V   TV will turn off, and stay off.
5-8V     TV will turn on in 16:9 aspect ratio. The channel will be set on the scart input (usually called "AV")
9,5-12V   TV will turn on in 4:3 aspect ratio. The channel will be set on the scart input (usually called "AV")

and you`re right, not all tv`s support this feature, but many do

What is your source for that? This is a good source for SCART pinout that I usually use.
http://pinouts.ru/Home/Scart_pinout.shtml

It says:
Pin 8, the function switching pin, carries a low frequency (less than 50Hz) signal from the source that indicates the type of video present.

0V-2V means no signal, or internal bypass
4.5V-7V (nominal 6V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal
9.5V-12V (nominal 12V) means a normal (4:3) signal

No mention of automatically turning the TV on, I've not seen it elsewhere either. However, the SCART standard really is quite "loose". Originally it was called Peritel because that is the company that came up with it, but this doesn't create any obligation for other companies to follow Peritel (or anyone else) exactly.

If your TV does come on when running 12v to pin 8, it is most likely because TV has detected a request to go to AV mode and the AV mode switching itself turns the TV on. Similar to how you can often turn a TV from standby mode by pressing a channel button or the AV/AUX button on the remote.

Regarding my Loewe mentioned earlier, I could probably get it to do similar if I could access it's service mode (but I don't have the right remote).

Jverive

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2018, 02:40:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:53:09 am »
This sounds like a reasonable job for an Arduino/RasPi/other microcontroller platform with an IR LED. You can capture the command sent from the remote (or use existing libraries with look-up tables), set the Arduino to spit out the modulated IR command some number of seconds after power-up, and then just sit idle (even go into sleep mode to save a few 10s of mW). You might need to guard against brown-outs, but that can be done with the Arduino’s power supply (a steering diode and large capacitor - maybe even a supercap). IR code “blasters” for Arduino are very popular projects.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 01:11:16 pm »
Get an FRM01 Timer Relay module.  Wire to a 5V/12V/24V power source (your MAME PC or whatever your master device power supply is). Then wire the relay to the TV's power button.  Program for "Function 3" which is "Timing Pull-in Then Disconnect".  This will wait n seconds then close the switch for n seconds, then open back up, which would simulate someone pressing the button.