Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroTV / Arcade LCD  (Read 1514 times)

madmanlxl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2018, 03:45:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
RetroTV / Arcade LCD
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:14:54 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have a simple question. Would anyone be interested in a 29" 4:3 LCD Panel or some kind of RetroTV?

This question's been bugging me while downsizing my collection of arcade hardware. Is damn cabinets take up a lot of room and not many have room for such machines.
As well to that CRT's are damn big and bulky.

The biggest 4:3 LCD's were 19" and most were actually 5:4. There was a few plasma's but they were far and few between. 
I know there's been conversations by different groups over the years to make a 4:3 LCD Panel in larger formats but the price to run up a batch has always been too expensive.

I've been working in Digital Signage for a number of years and one company i have contacts with that do cut down LCD panels where they take a larger panel and cut it to the size (resolution) you want.
It's not extremely cheap by any means. But a hell of a lot cheaper than doing a 10000 MOQ production run.
I'd look at trying to add to a HDMI on the LVDS controller an upscaller, SCART to turn it into a RetroTV if it gained enough interest.
Note i'd work with others on doing this as it's not my realm of expertise. 

So if i was to find out pricing and work something out would anyone be interested?   

Let me know i'm going to post on a few forums to gauge interest.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:07 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Re: RetroTV / Arcade LCD
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:48 pm »
I think it's an interesting idea. I have a cut down panel in one of my machines and I love it but it did cost mucho mucho when I got it.

If you're cutting down a screen anyway then you could do a square 1:1 monitor, and then you'd hit the sweet spot of running vertical and horizontal without having to rotate the screen. That would be pretty cool.

Assuming you could get decent screens, ie good blacks, high resolution (for filters) and low latency then it could be great. But - I just don't see that combination being cheap - but good luck  :)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:14:39 pm »
The biggest 4:3 LCD's were 19" and most were actually 5:4. There was a few plasma's but they were far and few between. 
I know there's been conversations by different groups over the years to make a 4:3 LCD Panel in larger formats but the price to run up a batch has always been too expensive.

FYI there were bigger LCD's than 19".   The Dell 2001FP was a 20.1", Active matrix - TFT LCD.  It also had a rotating stand for vertical mode. It was my favourite LCD not too long ago, but it didn't have the quicker response rate like you can get from some gaming LCD monitors these days.  It was still good for gaming though.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:30 am »
Highway Games has an opportunity to manufacture a 29inch 4:3 screen LCD monitor for plug and play with existing machines. The costs will be high due to limited production run, generally quantities of 100,000 are needed but we have located a manufacturer willing to make smaller production runs for us.

We would like to check with our customers whether there is any interest and what price is acceptable, please let us know your feedback below.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/82010-Manufacturing-opportunity-at-Highway-Games-need-your-feedback!

madmanlxl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2018, 03:45:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 03:45:42 am »
@buttersoft Yeah I'm aware of attempts before to get a production run going. there was a few in Australia thats tried before. It's not easy to arrange.
I'm not looking for production runs. What i'm looking at, is to see if AUO and Litemax's technology for cutting a LCD screen would work to produce panels in a 4:3. The interesting thing is they can only cut horizontally i believe so an oddball panel will be needed.

I do know that they will cost somewhere between 1-2k AUD so that about 700-1500 USD.