Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question Buttons and Joysticks  (Read 1059 times)

Shortbus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
Question Buttons and Joysticks
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »
Hoping someone can help me out. I am building a 1 player bartop. I would like the option to be able to play 2 player games (one at a time).  I have a 60 in 1 PCB Jamma, can I just wire both players 1 & 2 buttons and joysticks to the same joystick/buttons? For instance to play 2 player pac man, Player 1 goes 1st, then when player 2 is up, player 2 uses the same joystick/buttons as player 1 ? Thanks, I don't want to double wire this up, only to find out this won't work.

Thank you in advance, for the help.

SB

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Question Buttons and Joysticks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:38:16 pm »
Most of the turn based games that play like that are defaulted to using the same player 1 joystick and buttons for both players (since you swap players each turn and use the same joystick buttons )- so your 1 player bartop will already play those 2 player games fine - without wiring up both player 1 and 2 to the same inputs - the 60 in 1 will default to using player 1 controls for both players.

IF you are building it you might include a second joystick so you can play dual joystick games like Smash TV, Robotron, Crazy Climber, Karate CHamp -- using the 2 joysticks ( EDIT : Just remembered you are using a 60 in 1 not mame so forget that ! )

HEre's a pic of the bartop I built with that type of setup -

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:44:01 pm by JDFan »

Shortbus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »
Awesome! Thanks man, knew I came to the right place. Nice build too!!

SB

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
Awesome! Thanks man, knew I came to the right place. Nice build too!!

SB

Just looked at the 60 in 1 manual ( http://koceraj.hu/Koceraj/Mi_ez_files/60-in-1_Arcade_Manual.pdf ) to verify and ther is actually a setting in the dip switch bank 2 - to set the controls you will use on bank 2 switch 4 and 5 you want OFF (which IIRC is how they normally come ) as that sets it to Upright/1 control ) - IF it is not working properly check those 2 dip switches and ensure they are both in the off position !

IF you put it in cocktail mode or Upright/2 control mode it will assume there are 2 distinct sets of controls rather than just 1 and will try and use the 2 player inputs for a second player ! ( So you want to be in upright/1 control mode so it will use the player 1 controls for both players !