Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playstation Classic coming December 2018  (Read 51756 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:18:31 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Playstation Classic coming December 2018
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2019, 12:36:41 am »
I spent an evening cheesing out Tekken 3 with Eddy and actually played SOTN for more than 2 minutes.  I got my $20 out of it.

:cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2019, 06:05:36 am »
 :dunno after hacking the one I had for $25, I just bought another at the $20 Best Buy price point today. Jim was right, this was so easy, it is unfair even calling it a hack. Play wise, aside from a minor case of stuttering at one point, I haven't seen any issues with any of the games I added. The disc load times are gone, the games play well, pretty much only a couple ps1 games required a dualshock, so this is a really cheap route to house and play all my ps1 stuff.

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2019, 07:20:27 am »
I bought a second unit at Best Buy for $20. I feel like that's a steal for one of these. Hacking them is super easy and the system is powerful enough to play most 8 and 16 bit games. Is there another SOC device available on the market with two controllers, a nice looking case, a decent frontend, and is so easy to load games onto? I can't think of one. I'm afraid all the hate this thing gets tends to cloud people's judgement causing them to overlook what it is capable of...

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:25 am »
:dunno after hacking the one I had for $25, I just bought another at the $20 Best Buy price point today. Jim was right, this was so easy, it is unfair even calling it a hack. Play wise, aside from a minor case of stuttering at one point, I haven't seen any issues with any of the games I added. The disc load times are gone, the games play well, pretty much only a couple ps1 games required a dualshock, so this is a really cheap route to house and play all my ps1 stuff.

AT $20 it is hard to beat - since the size is small enough and it has the USB inputs so can easily be hooked up to a USB encoder - Hard to beat for a small kids build using the Vigolix build plans and one of these for the emulation system and a refurbished $10 - $20 LCD screen would make a sub $100 build possible and much less likely to have problems like the Rpi builds.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »
I bought a second unit at Best Buy for $20. I feel like that's a steal for one of these. Hacking them is super easy and the system is powerful enough to play most 8 and 16 bit games. Is there another SOC device available on the market with two controllers, a nice looking case, a decent frontend, and is so easy to load games onto? I can't think of one. I'm afraid all the hate this thing gets tends to cloud people's judgement causing them to overlook what it is capable of...

No, $20 for 2 controllers and a SoC is incredible. The Raspberry Pi threadcrappers can't come close to this one.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Well one the one hand they are gamepads, but on the other hand they are psx gamepads... you know, like snes gamepads only terrible.  Also who in this hobby doesn't have a half a dozen PlayStation pads from one of their consoles (psx to ps3 had virtually the same design) lying around?  I'll give the unit all the credit in the world, but nope, those gamepads are pointless. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »
Maybe they can be hacked?  PCB looks pretty tiny in photos, though. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2019, 04:28:21 pm »
I like the original psx controllers just fine. The problem is that everything on the dual shock controllers is better, even the shoulder buttons. There's a reason why people practically give away those original controllers.

I just can't imagine wanting to play emulated playstation 1 with no analog controls and no rumble support. I definitely got enough of that with EPSXE and psxfin back in the mid-2000's. The lack of proper rumble support  for emulators led me to buy several original playstations through the years.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2019, 11:09:26 pm »
Maybe they can be hacked?  PCB looks pretty tiny in photos, though.

Sure, probably, but usb gamepads are so cheap at this point.... if you don't mind that it's flimsy or comes directly from China you can get a psx style gamepad WITH analog sticks and probably rumble for under 5 bucks.  Why those horrid pads are so popular I'll never know, but the fact remains that they are. 

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2019, 09:28:27 am »
FWIW I bought the 8Bitdo USB receiver and use my PS3 controller wirelessly on the PS Classic. It works really well and I should be able to use that on my PC for wireless gaming too. It was only $20.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:06 am »
FWIW I bought the 8Bitdo USB receiver and use my PS3 controller wirelessly on the PS Classic. It works really well and I should be able to use that on my PC for wireless gaming too. It was only $20.

Cool! I'm guessing analog controls work, but not rumble?

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2019, 11:38:06 am »
Analog works. I played through Castlevania SOTN and actually preferred the D-pad for that though. Not sure about rumble. I can’t remember if that game has it. The 8Bitdo adapter is compatible with other controllers like DS4. Their website says it supports “vibration” for that controller and for those that use Xinput. I had to configure my DS3 on my PC first so that the USB receiver could see it. Perhaps it uses Xinput?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2019, 11:41:16 am »
From what I read, DS4 has rumble on ps1 mini . I haven’t seen confirmation that DS3 does.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2019, 11:46:44 am »
Analog works. I played through Castlevania SOTN and actually preferred the D-pad for that though. Not sure about rumble. I can’t remember if that game has it. The 8Bitdo adapter is compatible with other controllers like DS4. Their website says it supports “vibration” for that controller and for those that use Xinput. I had to configure my DS3 on my PC first so that the USB receiver could see it. Perhaps it uses Xinput?

Symphony is one of those few games that doesn't work with analog controls or rumble. You actually had to either use an original controller or turn off the red LED on a dual shock in order to get a controller to work with Symphony, but I agree that it's better with a D-pad anyway.

Try Metal Gear Solid to test rumble. The rumble should rise and fall as the helicopter in the beginning takes off. Try Ape Escape to test dual analog functionality.

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 11:07:15 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2019, 01:59:12 pm »
Am I the only one that can't stand analog thumb controls? Never got used to them. I even prefer using d-pad for driving games (assuming there is no wheel).

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2019, 02:25:43 pm »
It took me a long time to get used to them. Most my Ps1 and Ps2 era was using the  d-pad when possible

You play about any PS1 game and realize that even with most those games you only went 8 directions with an analog stick anyway. It was originally only made to one-up the N64. Aside from a couple games, there isn’t a real significant need for a DualShock on PS1, but at this point, I wouldn’t mind the upgrade on my ps1 mini,  because I grew comfortable using it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2019, 03:19:26 pm »
I can't imagine playing a game like Crash Team Racing or any of the main Crash series without analog controls, not to mention Spyro, or Syphon Filter or pretty much any other 3D platformer.

Rumble was amazing in many games, too. Check out the rumble in the Gran Turismo series. The way it matches your car revving is mind blowing for the time. Metal Gear Solid had you holding a rumbling controller to your arm to "massage" and heal it or Psycho Mantis would send your rumbling controller left or right on your coffee table with only the power of his mind.

I've talked to gamers who can't even remember that the original PS1 shipped without analog controls and rumble. It's not a gimmick. It's a huge part of the identity of the system. The fact that Sony wouldn't ship a $100 glorified Raspberry pi without even the option to buy dual shock controllers for it disrespects the legacy of the console.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:28:06 pm by KenToad »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2019, 06:42:20 pm »
Am I the only one that can't stand analog thumb controls? Never got used to them. I even prefer using d-pad for driving games (assuming there is no wheel).

I only dislike the PlayStation analog controls because of their idiotic placement. Still putting them where they were when they were tacked-on as an afterthought 20 years ago even though analog sticks have completely supplanted D-pads the primary means of control.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2019, 08:15:29 pm »
Yeah the problem isn't analog thumb sticks, it's sony putting them at the bottom of the gamepad even though thumbs, you know, point up when you are holding a gamepad properly.  I'm enjoying my new ps4, but damn, I think I'm going to have to get one of those ps4 pads that are laid out like a xbox gamepad. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2019, 01:41:58 am »
Are you guys getting rumble on Ds4 in the stock emulator?  Or just retroarch?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2019, 03:27:06 pm »
Are you guys getting rumble on Ds4 in the stock emulator?  Or just retroarch?

Other than what Vigo said in this thread, I've only heard that rumble doesn't work at all with the psc.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:21 pm »
If you look, there is confirmation right on the amazon listing. There is also confirmation on a number of reddit threads. What I haven't seen any confirmation on is the stock emulator vs RetroArch.

I'll tell you what, how about i buy one. I have a DS3 and a DS4. I can report back what happens.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2019, 04:48:40 pm »
FYI - his is what my setup looks like. ~300 games. Not bad to navigate actually. No different from like a Mala list. Still, I hope next update includes folders, It probably adds a few seconds boot time loading up that many images at once.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2019, 09:29:14 pm »
Actually that looks like a nightmare to navigate.  You can only make out the game in the front.  If those discs were just spread out a bit more it'd be much more useable. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:28 pm »
Yeah, it's pretty much the stock menu system, so designed for 20ish games. Takes 50 images well, but then they all bump into each other. Once it gets like that, I just ignore the image and read the text.

Alternatively, the is RetroArch with a standard retroArch listy menu.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2019, 10:54:42 pm »
If I were designing that the back part of the ring would fade out to invisibility.... then you don't have to fit them all in the ring... they can just appear out of the mist.  Even with 20 games I think it'd look better than way.  Way to phone it in Sony. 

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2019, 07:19:34 am »
So I finally got around to testing the DS3 with the 8Bitdo receiver in order to find out if a) dual analog sticks work and b) if vibration works. On Ape Escape, I get a prompt when I first start the game that a Dual Shock controller is not present and is required to play the game. Once I get past the message and start the game, the analog sticks don't seem to function properly. The sticks and the D-Pad control the camera, but neither allows the character to move in the game. Essentially I think the sticks and the D-Pad have the same mapping because you can use the stick to move around in other games that don't require a DS. On Metal Gear Solid, I didn't get any vibration as I was playing the game. I don't think that works either.  :(

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2019, 09:19:03 am »
Thanks for testing with the DS3 controller!

The only emulator that seems to do force feedback perfectly is Dolphin, at least with Mayflash USB converters for wiimotes and GameCube controllers.

So rumble not working doesn't surprise me. No analog detection/support is surprising, though.

*Edit* It sounds like your tests indicate that the "analog" support is just allowing you to use the left thumbstick as a D-pad. Is that what you mean? Does the 8bitdo adapter allow for true analog control?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:59:30 pm by KenToad »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:15 am »
Haven't experimented much, but so far I am feeling the 8bitdo is a flaming piece of garbage on the psx mini. It puts a mouse cursor on top of the screen. Only way to remove I find is unplugging and plugging the unit back in and resyncing the controller (DS4). Imagine having to do that every time you leave or enter a game.  There might be a proper way to configure the controller, but I haven't figured it out yet. Haven't gotten analog or rumble on bleemsync or retroarch yet. Just a faux analog where it reads the thumbstick as the d-pad. It also leaves power on even when the unit is off. When you shut down the console, it does send a power off command to the dualshock, but if you accidentally press any button on the dualshock, it will connect back to the 8bitdo and stay on, even with the unit off.

Still need to experiment more, but my initial thoughts are bad. Might as well just plug in the controller directly with the USB port.

Thing is, for all that I see, at least retroarch should support analog and rumble. The issues are likely in the 8bitdo.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:28 pm »
This guide got my 16GB flashdrive working without resorting to hubs and multiple drives:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/cigkpz/howto_properly_preparing_a_usb_drive/

HOWTO:(Windows Users)

Download and install the latest free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard from here.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/download/v11/pw11-free.exe

Once it's downloaded and installed, launch MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Find and select your drive in the window.

Right-click on your drive and select "Delete".

Right-click on your drive again and select "Create".

Select the file system: choose your file system first(it will blank out the name of the drive if you do this after naming it), name the drive in all caps "SONY" and choose 32KB for cluster size, press OK.
(PBJ Edit - it didn't work with NTFS for me, but Fat32 works fine)

On the main window: Select "Apply" at the top left corner, press OK and wait for it finish successfully.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2019, 07:10:14 pm »
I was going to ask you guys if you thought it was wroth it to get off my butt and drive down to gamestop to get one for $20, but it looks like all the people around here spent their labor day buying all the available stock for price gouging. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2019, 10:05:29 pm »
I was going to ask you guys if you thought it was wroth it to get off my butt and drive down to gamestop to get one for $20, but it looks like all the people around here spent their labor day buying all the available stock for price gouging.

PRobably the Employees -- THey all sold out around here also ( had checked last night and the closest store had them in stock but I didn't bother to place the order and then checked this afternoon and all of the local stores were out and they want $10 shipping if ordered online and with tax it's $32 at that price I can wait to see if any get restocked. )

Since they still show in stock online you might be able to get Bestbuy or Target to price match !( if they price match Gamestop.com)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
Eh I don't need one, I just find it highly suspicious that they sold out in one day considering they had a big stack in the window the last time I went by. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2019, 12:11:10 am »
How many times did we have to post it for $20 shipped?

???

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2019, 12:15:54 am »
Eh 20 bucks on the card seems different than a loose 20 in the wallet... it's just one of those things. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
Eh I don't need one, I just find it highly suspicious that they sold out in one day considering they had a big stack in the window the last time I went by.

Gamestops here got restocked today and all are showing it available for pickup and still $19.99 - so you might want to check stores in your area.  :dunno

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:46:49 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2019, 08:37:41 pm »
Well crap it's back in stock and I'm all tired now.  If they have any in the morning I might swing by. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2019, 11:08:48 pm »
Well crap it's back in stock and I'm all tired now.  If they have any in the morning I might swing by.

LOL - You can place the order on the website and they'll put it aside and hold it for the day ( if placed after they close they hold for the next full day - and you can pay when you pick it up or online in advance)  - So you could order it tonight to pick up tomorrow !  :cheers:

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2019, 12:23:19 am »
YOU
      HAVE
NO
      EXCUSE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2019, 01:48:14 am »

LOL - You can place the order on the website and they'll put it aside and hold it for the day ( if placed after they close they hold for the next full day - and you can pay when you pick it up or online in advance)  - So you could order it tonight to pick up tomorrow !  :cheers:

Yeah already done that.  What I meant was this particular gamestop apparently occasionally forgets to check morning reservations and sells reserved stuff.  I've only seen it happen once (boy that guy was pissed).  I really don't need the thing, but it's a do-dad... to put on my shelf!