Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playstation Classic coming December 2018  (Read 51752 times)

adder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Re: Playstation Classic coming December 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:31:17 am »
I'm glad I kept all my consoles....

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:37:22 am »
Cant wait for a mini dreamcast.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:02:55 am »
Cant wait for a mini dreamcast.
Ooh.  That would be nice.   :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 02:03:59 pm »
This one doesn't make sense to me.  Nintendo games are expensive and hard to get ahold of legally, but Sony has been virtually giving their crap away for years.  You could buy this for 100 or just get a pstv, which will let you download all of the games and psp games, and vita games.

I think this is another one of those old "Let's see what Nintendo is doing and blatantly copy it, regardless of if it makes sense for our customers" moves that Sony tends to do from time to time. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:16:32 pm »
Meh.

What else has Sony copied?  The Move controllers?  Those were in development before the Nintendo waggle wands came out.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 02:19:09 pm »

Me too, and yet, I still buy these things.  I think I'm just a sucker for the mini shells!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »
Meh.

What else has Sony copied?  The Move controllers?  Those were in development before the Nintendo waggle wands came out.

The layout of the snes gamepad, rumble in game controllers, the analog thumbstick, shoulder buttons, smash bros., the move controllers..... ect and that's just off the top of my head.  Sony's go to move has always been to see what Nintendo does, copy it and add another one.  The move controllers weren't in development before the wiimotes... you can tell by that ceo of sony making fun of the wiimotes look, calling them a "lollipop" prior to releasing the move controllers about a year later.  Now why would he do that if they had a controller that literally looked like a lollipop in development?

You can like Sony, that's cool, but they couldn't have an original idea to save their lives. 

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 02:46:03 pm »
All the motion controller stuff was basically copied from the various TV games anyway, there are absolutely stacks of patents on it that predate the Wii, that presumably all the companies had to license.

None of it is actually any better than the tech used by said TV games either, just higher budget games with a higher spec base system.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:47:49 pm by Haze »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:16 pm »
Is anyone even nostalgic for the PSX?  Are there any games that would even hold up other than Symphony of the Night and one or two others?  FFVII is nice I guess but who has time for a 40 hour RPG these days (that we've all played)?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 08:37:55 pm »
Is anyone even nostalgic for the PSX?  Are there any games that would even hold up other than Symphony of the Night and one or two others?  FFVII is nice I guess but who has time for a 40 hour RPG these days (that we've all played)?
I am! 

But, I'm definitely getting FF7 on Switch when it's out, and since I've logged about 100 hours into Octopath Traveler and am about 80% through, replaying FF7 is nothing by today's RPG playtime standards. For me, the story still holds up, and the Material system is still one of my favourite out of the series.

SOTN is a given, but there are still a lot of great games on that system that I'd replay again:
- Einhander
- Gradius Gaiden
- R-Type Delta
- Ehrgeiz
- Bushido Blade 1 & 2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Xenogears
- FF9 (this and FF7 are the only ones from the series I care about)
- Chrono Cross (never ported)
- PaRappa the Rapper
- the Wipeout series
- Valkyrie Profile
- Tomba! & Tomba! 2
- Tobal No. 1 and 2 (one of the most deepest 3D fighting games ever made)
- Harmful Park (japanese exclusive, in the vain of the parodius series)
- A slew of Japanese shmup ports like Donpachi and Dodonpachi
- Star Ocean: The Second Story
- Alundra 1 and 2

There still a lot of games worth playing on the PSX!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:13:58 pm by opt2not »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:38:41 am »
Einhander, PaRappa and possibly Metal Gear Solid were the other games I was thinking of.  I honestly never played most of those RPGs outside of Final Fantasy.  Just never had the time for it although I'm sure there are some great games listed.  I'm probably going to pick this up just because but I'm not that excited about it haha.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 11:00:03 am »

Me too, and yet, I still buy these things.  I think I'm just a sucker for the mini shells!

;D

With todays technology you can easily put all the gaming consoles you like on any varying hardware.  You don't need a mini this and a mini that.  I saw a review for on youtube by ETA Prime for the Azulle Access 3 Windows 10 stick which does an excellent job of emulating N64 and Gamecube.  I guess for me this was where I stopped playing console games.  We are going to get to the point where technology now will encompass all gaming technology from back then and we can collectively create a single small gaming rig to our own personal tastes.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:07:41 pm by jdbailey1206 »

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:48 am »

..don't forget Pepsi Man  ;D

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 12:43:00 pm »
You could buy this for 100 or just get a pstv, which will let you download all of the games and psp games, and vita games.

Or just spend $35 on a Raspberry Pi!

hurr hurr hurr

hurr hurr hurr

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 12:44:08 pm »
Problem with a PS1 mini is Sony's been steadily flooding the market with these games and backwards compatibility for years.  The controllers have simply been minor revisions, and it's easy to hook the systems up to an LCD.  A lot of the games are on other systems, too.  This isn't like the SNES classic where your only other option was to buy a dirty system, $30 loose cartridge, and use blown out controllers with an end result that looks bad on your flatscreen...

Dreamcast or Saturn would be a lot more personally interesting though I appreciate I'm in an extreme minority.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:39 pm »
"USB AC adapter NOT included."

Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, it really is just like a Pi!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
Problem with a PS1 mini is Sony's been steadily flooding the market with these games and backwards compatibility for years.  The controllers have simply been minor revisions, and it's easy to hook the systems up to an LCD.  A lot of the games are on other systems, too.  This isn't like the SNES classic where your only other option was to buy a dirty system, $30 loose cartridge, and use blown out controllers with an end result that looks bad on your flatscreen...

Dreamcast or Saturn would be a lot more personally interesting though I appreciate I'm in an extreme minority.

See we are on the same page.  You literally just stated my sentiment almost word for word. 

People get on Nintendo for not pimping out all their old games all the time and I can certainly understand the frustration, but from a business point it makes perfect sense.  The reason the NES/SNES classic sold so well is because they guard those old properties so closely.  You compare that to Sega's recent hdmi console attempt and it isn't even in the same league.  The reason is Sega has released at least one classic's disc on every console since the dreamcast and you can currently buy their games off of steam for pennies on the dollar.  Sony isn't that bad yet, but they have steadily released their games and most psx classics are already on their online marketplace. 

That price point is kind of high as well.  Nintendo pretty much pushed the price to the max with the snes classic at 80 bucks and I know for a lot of people that was a no-go until they announced star fox 2 would be included.  Snes carts are still expensive, as is the e-shop, so it made sense though.

Also there's the fact that Nintendo games hold up well while Sony games just don't imho.  Sure there are some third party games on the psx that are all time classics, but they've all been remastered and ported to newer consoles at this point.  I've been feverishly burning through the sony library, trying to see how the other side lived, and except for some killer titles from Konami and Capcom, I haven't found a lot that will hold my nostalgia-free attention. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 01:56:44 pm »
A lot of the games are on other systems, too. 
Uhmm...a large portion of the Dreamcast games can also be played on other (modern) systems as well.  Just look at all the available DC games on PC, XBLA, PS2 (PS2 though maybe not that modern, you can still easily buy these without having to go down the dirty system loose cartridge path).

And if you're all bent-up on the price of the PS1 mini, you think a DC mini will be cheaper?  DC emulation requires a bit more powerful hardware than PS1 emulation, so be prepare to shell over $100 for that mini if it ever sees the light of day.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 03:28:13 pm »
"USB AC adapter NOT included."

Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, it really is just like a Pi!

It's a mini usb adaptor.
Probably an arm board like the mini NES and SNES.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:30:05 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 03:39:34 pm »
I just hope they sell controller separately. I'm always down for new-production, first-party controllers. Especially since these look like ordinary USB connections.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 03:54:17 pm »
I just hope they sell controller separately. I'm always down for new-production, first-party controllers. Especially since these look like ordinary USB connections.

I read it came with two controllers.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 04:09:26 pm »

Word.  It shows it right on the box.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »

And that has what to do with selling controllers separately.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:23 pm »
Sure is a lot of salt in this thread.

It's very weird to see our hobby go so mainstream.  Between these minis and the Arcade 1Up things....

:cheers:

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 05:47:48 pm »

Depends if they're really first party I guess.  Possible it's just made under license.

One of the reasons they might have gone for non-dualshock is because all the 3rd party dualshock stuff is terrible, and if they're using a 3rd party it would make more sense to drop it.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 05:56:25 pm »

Depends if they're really first party I guess.  Possible it's just made under license.

One of the reasons they might have gone for non-dualshock is because all the 3rd party dualshock stuff is terrible, and if they're using a 3rd party it would make more sense to drop it.

For $100 they better not be farming these out to some Hyperkin-esque ---smurfy--- manufacturer.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 12:40:46 am »
There is literally no way I'm paying $100 for 20 retro games.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 09:30:37 am »
There is literally no way I'm paying $100 for 20 retro games.
You're not paying $100 for 20 games - you are also getting 2 USB controllers ( say $10 - $15 each) - A usb cable ($5) an HDMI cable($5) and a Playstation case ( $20 - $25 (figure people pay this for a NES or SNES Rpi Case)) - so that's about half of your $100 there so your paying about $2.50 per game which isn't too bad ! ( though I agree it is bit over priced and the $60 - $80 price point would be better at least they are releasing a group of the older games - the more options that are out there to play these games the better.)  :dunno

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 11:50:41 am »
From what I have read the only downfall I see in this is the fact that you have to hit the reset button to cycle through games.  If ---my bottom--- is sitting down to play games that's what it is doing.  I get that if you had a regular PSX you would have to get up to change games but one of the nice things I enjoy with my RPI (DUN DUN DUN) is the fact that I can sit on my couch and relax and not have to get up.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »
You're not paying $100 for 20 games - you are also getting 2 USB controllers ( say $10 - $15 each)

Man if these are legit Sony-quality controllers and they go for that price I'll buy a case of them.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 02:29:50 pm »
Why?  They aren't dual shock so that's a huge con.  I can buy a used og psx gamepad from gamestop for 3 bucks right now.... if it goes bad I can buy 3 more before meeting the typical price of a usb gamepad.  Also, if it's for emulation why wouldn't you just used a ps2, ps3 or ps4 gamepad?  The layout is virtually identical... this isn't like Nintendo where they radically change the shape of the controllers with each console or the sega consoles where they no longer produce a gamepad with that layout. 

Speaking of the controller, the fact that it isn't a dual shock means none of the other 15 games aren't going to use analog control, meaning racers that are actually good are out of the equation.  If this were a $60 console I'd say that was fine, but considering it's $100 they seem to really be going the cheap route. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 02:51:22 pm »
Why?  They aren't dual shock so that's a huge con.

I'll buy even more of them now since it apparently bothers you so much.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 03:46:56 pm »

Well, if it comes with two controllers (non rumble) it stands to reason they won't sell them separately (except maybe as a replacement) because you only need two.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:49:52 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 03:52:07 pm »

Well, if it comes with two controllers (non rumble) it stands to reason they won't sell them separately (except maybe as a replacement) because you only need two.

That would be disappointing.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 04:17:16 pm »

That would be disappointing.

Actually, if you look closely at the pictures and video's it looks like a standard psone controller port on the front.
Not usb.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »
Actually, if you look closely at the pictures and video's it looks like a standard psone controller port on the front.
Not usb.

Nope - it's USB - THink they just placed a cover over it like the SNES classic has

Attached is a better photo with the cover removed or hidden (not sure if it retracts or is removed ! ) and also a pic of it with the cover in place .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:40:49 pm by JDFan »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »
May sucker up and buy one anyway. I've always loved the design of the OG PlayStation.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:32 pm »
You can buy what you want man, I just can't think of anyone that actually liked the design of the psx gamepad over better digital pad designs like the Snes or Saturn and getting a usb gamepad shaped like a psx gamepad is already fairly easy to come by so I don't understand the appeal. 

I realize I'm being pretty hard on this thing, but it's $100, which is decidedly above the impulse buy price point imho and really pretty steep considering they were too cheap to include dual shocks and a power adapter.  I'll complain less if/when they lower the price. 

I will say that, judging by the pics we have so far, it appears to be a high quality product like the snes classic and not cheap junk like the latest at@games attempt for the genesis.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:23 pm »
For starters I don't want a ---smurfy--- dualshock pad with the poorly-placed analog sticks. I want the original PlayStation design for playing PlayStation games.