Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lawnmower  (Read 9374 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Lawnmower
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:02 pm »
So, I'll preface this by saying I hate gasoline lawnmowers. But after my last electric only made it 16 months, I decided to try gas.

Ran fine for 20 minutes. Now it does this. What do?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:05:46 am »
Our yard is frikkin huge, so I run into these problems a lot. 

Long story short it's stalling, but a few things could make it do that. 

The easiest thing to try is to push down on the handle and tilt the deck up for a second or two after you start it to allow any gunked up grass to fly out.  Also check the throttle and cutoff cables to make sure they are in place.  Next remove the air filter and try starting it without it as they can get gunked up as well.  Also check the spark plug wire and if that's in place remove the plug and check the plug for carbon deposits.... you can also spray the plug hole with a bit of starter fluid and that will sometimes help it turn over better.  I doubt that'll help though as it seems to be starting ok, it just can't idle.  And this is a dumb question, but you did put oil in it right?

Here's the thing though... other than trapped grass bogging down the engine or maybe a defective sparkplug you shouldn't be having any of these problems this early in it's life.  That looks like a Husqvarna and personally I've swore those stupid things off as they all seem to have a hard time idling in mulch mode.  Unless some of the things I listed above work, I'd take it back. 

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:48 am »
Carburetor.
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:16:55 am »
Alright, I'll take another look at it tonight.  Yes, it had oil.  I'm that one person that actually reads and follows the manual.  If it's not something random and stupid like a loose spark plug or a blade of grass in the fuel line this is going back to Lowe's.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:02:16 am »
A buddy of mine picked up one of those new EGO battery powered mowers.  They are pricey but he has been real happy with it.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:02:40 am »
Been through that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. Had a new lawnmower that only started once (barely). Ordered it online, so they had me take it into their service center because it was "New and under warranty" Took it it and they determined it must have been my fault because I must have put in bad gas that clogged the injector. (Except I put in premium gasoline). They charged me $250 to unclog it, which is more than I paid for the mower.  Didn't even confirm with me that I wanted the repair done. Held my mower hostage.

There was also absolutely zero accountability when it came to customer service. The mower manufacturer (Husquverna) put the blame on the engine manufacturer (Kohler) and Kohler didn't have any form of customer service. Every phone number I obtained went to a dummy number that I couldn't even leave a voice message with. 

I am thankful I have a bigger yard now. I have a riding mower that is 20 years old, but I'll still take it above a ---smurfy--- push mower. Send that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- back to Lowe's.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:20 am »
A buddy of mine picked up one of those new EGO battery powered mowers.  They are pricey but he has been real happy with it.

Don't have the mower, but in general my experience with EGO tools has been awesome. Have 3 of them now. Cut down a ton of thick branches with the EGO chainsaw last week. Amazed at how much I could do on one charge. I have only had ego tools for a couple years, so I can't yet determine the battery life, but enjoying the tools a lot.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:09:12 am »
Open the air filter cover, remove filter, spray some carb\choke or carb cleaner, put filter back and start it up.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:18:45 am »
If a new mower has starting difficulties take it back. There is no sense in messing with a new mower that already has problems.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:58 am »

Don't have the mower, but in general my experience with EGO tools has been awesome. Have 3 of them now. Cut down a ton of thick branches with the EGO chainsaw last week. Amazed at how much I could do on one charge. I have only had ego tools for a couple years, so I can't yet determine the battery life, but enjoying the tools a lot.

I have the EGO edger/trimmer and blower and they are spectacular.  The edger really surprised me as it has more power than my old gas one.

Glad to hear you like the chainsaw.  That is next up for me. 

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:16:15 pm »
(Except I put in premium gasoline).

Premium is always the best choice for small engines. However, today's gasoline sucks, thanks to ethanol. If it's available in your area, use clear gas (no ethanol).
%Bartop

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
Its frustrating to have to try and service something especially if its fairly new.  Things are made cheaper these days.  I have a Cub Cadet mower that I picked up from my brother and he bought it 16 years ago.  Thing is still running like a champ with little maintenance.  I only had to replace the fuel prime bubble and sharpen the blades. 

I'm also in the same boat with fixing things.  The chuck went on my Dewalt 929 cordless drill and it was supposed to be an easy fix.  Now it being so old I have had to drill out the screw holding the chuck in and the chuck itself is stuck to the gear box.  I have now purchased a new chuck, the holding screw, and now a new gear box.  Should have just said screw it and thrown it away.  Its not like I don't have a hammer drill I can use.  Having to fix stuff blows my nards.   

:badmood:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:26:55 pm by jdbailey1206 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:35:41 pm »
If you don't need any fancy features the best push mower to get is actually the cheapest you can find.  As you mentioned they are all kind of crap these days and the cheaper models often use older designs which have a better chance of doing ok.  After going through a mower a year for a while I went to Walmart, bought their absolute cheapest model with adjustable wheels and I've been doing fine ever since.  I don't even know the brand name.... its....red. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 05:21:39 pm »
My riding mower (17 yr old craftsman), stared acting that way when I took it out of winter storage early this year.
After a lot of troubleshooting, I found the fuel shutoff solenoid was sticking.
This is a small barrel shaped thing with one wire on it. It screws into the bottom of the carburetor. When solenoid is off, gas is cut off to the jets.
I unplugged the wire, screwed it off the carburetor, took out the little plunger, washed it with carb cleaner, flushed out the solenoid as best I could, wiped it all down and re-installed. Running like a champ ever since.
I used cheap gas a couple of times last year. Big mistake. I now use only good grade non alcohol gas.  I usually always use the good stuff but i had one of those days last year when I was in a big hurry and the convenience store is a lot closer than the good gas station.
Now yours may or may not have the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Also if its a new mower I would take it back. If you try to fix it yourself you may void the warranty.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:52 pm »
Bought a self propelled gas mower from WalMart probably 14 years ago.  Still going strong. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:16:30 pm »
So, gasoline melts Solo cups that one might use  as a bucket when draining the tank. However, there was a black plastic shaving floating around and dammit.

Found a YouTube video that detailed how to clean the carb. Sure enough, a plastic shaving inside the fuel pick up. Cleaned it out with a needle and it was good to go.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 07:13:38 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »
None of my coupons scanned when I bought the lawnmower... manager wasn't impressed....

But this time I did store pickup and grabbed this and a roll of electrical tape for $40....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-EASYFEED-20-volt-12-in-Straight-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-Capable-2/999978362

Pretty much a wash because I nearly dropped $100 on this 2 days ago.

:cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 02:52:58 pm »
I have that string trimmer.  It has been solid for a few years now.  (only gets used 5 minutes every other week however)

Bought the sweeper with the "powerboost" button open box on ebay.  If you hold down the button it's just powerful enough to blow the grass off the driveway or blow leaves out of the gutter.
I'm not sure if the one without the button is slow or just goes powerboost speed all the time.  Normal speed is useless.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:56:11 pm by BadMouth »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 04:17:24 pm »
...blow leaves out of the gutter.

I'm done playing that game.  I bought some Gutterglove Gutter Guards.  We'll see how well they perform the next couple of days with the rain.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »
...blow leaves out of the gutter.

I'm done playing that game.  I bought some Gutterglove Gutter Guards.  We'll see how well they perform the next couple of days with the rain.

I'd be interested to hear, especially if you're dealing with pine needles.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »
I have that string trimmer.  It has been solid for a few years now.  (only gets used 5 minutes every other week however)

I've got an older one with NiCad batteries.  I can get about 2-3 minutes out of it, but it's at least 10 years old.  I've done all that BS like shocking the batteries with a high voltage charger, unplugging and replugging in the charger 50 times.  I was gonna go corded, but for $43 I'll do this instead.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 06:47:58 pm »

Bought the sweeper with the "powerboost" button open box on ebay.  If you hold down the button it's just powerful enough to blow the grass off the driveway or blow leaves out of the gutter.
I'm not sure if the one without the button is slow or just goes powerboost speed all the time.  Normal speed is useless.

Speedboost on all the time here as well. I really like the blower, but only because I ONLY use it for my driveway and decks. If I was using for my lawn, I'd be pissed.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:51 am »

After I have installed them it hasn't rained when I have been home.  It rained hard yesterday on lunch but of course I worked through lunch instead of being home.  My two biggest problems for my gutters Badmouth are pine needles and two Honeylocust trees.  They both shed their respective foliage throughout all four seasons.  You can see from the picture below how well it should keep everything out.  My big concern is if enough water will permeate the screen.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 10:00:50 am »
None of my coupons scanned when I bought the lawnmower... manager wasn't impressed....

But this time I did store pickup and grabbed this and a roll of electrical tape for $40....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-EASYFEED-20-volt-12-in-Straight-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-Capable-2/999978362

Pretty much a wash because I nearly dropped $100 on this 2 days ago.

:cheers:

I have that same trimmer. Been using it two summers now. I like it a lot more than my old gas trimmer. Sure dont miss trying to get the gas one started after winter storage.

The electric one came with two batteries, and it takes both to do all my house, shed, and lawn edges. But its quite a bit of work. Plus I have two more that fit both my drill and the trimmer, but have never completely drained two batteries on the trimmer. Very handy.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:03:10 am by DaOld Man »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

Me too, I get tired of having to clean maple tree leaves out of my gutters once or twice a year.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 11:31:12 am »

Me too, I get tired of having to clean maple tree leaves out of my gutters once or twice a year.

I got up to once or twice A MONTH.  After 8 years it took a toll on me.  So I took advantage of one of Home Depots 18 months no interest deals, spent $300, and called it good.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 01:40:18 pm »
I'm glad there are no gutters on the houses in AZ, lol.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:06 pm »
I'm glad there are no gutters on the houses in AZ, lol.

Yeah just freak sand storms that make your pool look like it has a natural sand bottom.   :laugh:  I've seen pictures after one of those have happened.  I'll take a dirty gutter any day of the week.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »
Meh, had like one of those this year, and pool vacuum cleans it on its own.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 02:55:34 pm »
There aren't enough mature trees in my subdivision for gutters to really be an issue here.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »
I have a love/hate relationship with the two big pines in my yard.
I like having giant trees, but hate that mine are pine while the neighbors have gorgeous oaks and maples.

I don't park in the driveway because either an obscene number of birds will crap on my vehicle or green pine cones fall from high enough to leave hale-style dents.
I debate having that one removed, but it shades the house from the evening sun which is nice. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 03:57:21 pm »
Huge oak trees in my yard.  They try to kill me with pollen in March and they clog all of my gutters twice a year.  I'm also too fat to walk around on the roof so I've got compost piles going up there year round.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:58 pm »
Leaving Home Depot. Time to go cordless!

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 04:27:46 pm »
I didn't know you guys in AZ mowed your dust.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Lawnmower
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 04:38:34 pm »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:43:17 pm by yotsuya »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 04:44:49 pm »
That's okay. Wait until mid February and then ask me "How's the weather in northern Illinois today?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 04:47:39 pm »

IF it's like here in Texas - they need the lawnmower to cut down the weeds every few days (esp after any rain at all) !

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:56 pm »

IF it's like here in Texas - they need the lawnmower to cut down the weeds every few days (esp after any rain at all) !
Yep. I cut it two weekends ago... my electric mower was on its last legs. Time for a new one!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 07:26:07 pm »
We have a similar problem here.  The good thing about WV is you can grow just about anything, but the bad thing is that includes weeds and grass.  If I really did it right I'd be cutting twice a week.  Had to get a gas weed eater this year because the battery powered ones couldn't keep up and I'm going through a spool of string every time I trim. 

The Brady's had the right idea... need to get some astro turf.... or a bunch of weed killer and some green paint.  :)