Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: getting 2 blast cities dont want to buy 2 computers for horiztonal and vertical  (Read 3864 times)

8bitforlife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2020, 08:14:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is it possible to run a computer with 2 video cards (same card probably r9 270x) to get 2 different desktops so i can run horizontal on one and vertical on the other with crt emu drivers. I have googled and cant really get a good answer or am I stuck having to make a second computer.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Just save yourself the headaches and get a second computer. That way you won’t have to worry about all the other issues that would pop up using 1 computer (memory, overhead, etc).
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

8bitforlife

• Offline Offline
Just save yourself the headaches and get a second computer. That way you won’t have to worry about all the other issues that would pop up using 1 computer (memory, overhead, etc).

An extra computer would be about 500 bucks if i want to run all the games. including naomi type x and stuff like that. just thought sticking another video card in the rig would be less of a headache then running another computer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:46:09 am by 8bitforlife »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
MAME would probably be ok, as long as you don't need both screens going at once (MAME can't even clone displays properly, let alone running two things at once). But other emulators might have problems targeting a particular display, and other issues as well. Making sure all the controls and joysticks stay in order can be tricky.

I have a cab that has a vertical CRT in it, but the video output can be physically switched over to a horizontal driving cab. Other than using a physical switch, i wouldn't do it. I tried, and there were all sorts of issues.

8bitforlife

• Offline Offline
MAME would probably be ok, as long as you don't need both screens going at once (MAME can't even clone displays properly, let alone running two things at once). But other emulators might have problems targeting a particular display, and other issues as well. Making sure all the controls and joysticks stay in order can be tricky.

I have a cab that has a vertical CRT in it, but the video output can be physically switched over to a horizontal driving cab. Other than using a physical switch, i wouldn't do it. I tried, and there were all sorts of issues.

would running mame from 2 different folders work or same with the other emulators? if not whats the cheapest computer i can buy that would run everything mame to type-x and teknoparrot

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander
If you are willing to let go of windows then the answer should be yes, you can do that. If I ever find the time that's what I'll be doing.
A debian desktop with a 15 khz kernel, 3 video cards and 2 powered usb hubs. One card for the 'master' seat, and 2 radeons for the vertical and horizontal seats. It won't be straightforward but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Just get another computer.

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:02:29 am
If you want to be able to play in both machines at the same time you can use Windows Server or any of those 'multi user in the same PC' programs out there. Some of them even work smoothly with videogames.

How are you handling the frontend?

It can be done (and actually it's quite interesting) but as said above it will give you many configuration headaches.

Vertical games are usually less demanding than horizontal ones, what about a dedicated cheap second hand computer?

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 02:17:52 pm
If you have sufficient hardware, you could do a hypervisor, two GPUs, and pass through a GPU to each VM.  But ultimately, save yourself the headache, and just get a second PC.  SFF i5 2nd gen PCs can be had for $75 or less.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
But ultimately, save yourself the headache, and just get a second PC.  SFF i5 2nd gen PCs can be had for $75 or less.

Exactly.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
But ultimately, save yourself the headache, and just get a second PC.  SFF i5 2nd gen PCs can be had for $75 or less.

Exactly.

Thirded -- For example this one on EBAY for $52 shipped ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8200-SFF-2UA14900YC-i5-2400-3-10GHz-4GB-320GB-COA-No-OS/273132477129?hash=item3f97f6dac9:g:ATEAAOSwLh5avBft )

HP Elite 8200 SFF (2UA14900YC) | i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz | 4GB | 320GB | COA | No OS

The OS is not installed but it does have the COA so you just need to install Win 7 Pro and activate using the COA. MOBO does have a PCI-e slot for the video card but would have to rmove it from the case if not using a half height card ( but for a mame cab should be fine )
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:00:03 pm by JDFan »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
If you are willing to let go of windows then the answer should be yes, you can do that. If I ever find the time that's what I'll be doing.
A debian desktop with a 15 khz kernel, 3 video cards and 2 powered usb hubs. One card for the 'master' seat, and 2 radeons for the vertical and horizontal seats. It won't be straightforward but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

And this will let you run multiple programs in focus at once? That would be nice, i'll admit. Beyond MAME though, what works on Debian? RA must, i 'm sure, but TP, or Demul, or most Steam titles?

SteelRush

• Offline Offline

And this will let you run multiple programs in focus at once? That would be nice, i'll admit. Beyond MAME though, what works on Debian? RA must, i 'm sure, but TP, or Demul, or most Steam titles?

Debian is Linux.  Only Linux Steam titles would work without fooling with WINE.  The demul emulator is Windows only and would not run on Debian natively.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander

It is supposed to work that way yes. The idea is that each user has its own seat and you assign hardware to a seat so each seat has its own video card, audio card, and a powered usb hub. Everything that gets plugged in in the hub also gets assigned to the seat. Each user has its own session eg 'computer' if you will. Do note that I wrote this in 3 lines but it's not easy. It is on my bucket list though. I've got two tv's, 2 umsa scart adapters and three radeon's that ought to work with 15khz and I researched it enough to conclude it logically has to work. I lack a powerful computer and 2 extra sound cards and enough time.  Perhaps, given time...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:31:18 am by ZoOl007 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
I would buy another computer in a heartbeat to avoid all the hassle of setting up and maintaining something like that. :o

8bitforlife

• Offline Offline

Exactly.

Thirded -- For example this one on EBAY for $52 shipped ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8200-SFF-2UA14900YC-i5-2400-3-10GHz-4GB-320GB-COA-No-OS/273132477129?hash=item3f97f6dac9:g:ATEAAOSwLh5avBft )

HP Elite 8200 SFF (2UA14900YC) | i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz | 4GB | 320GB | COA | No OS

The OS is not installed but it does have the COA so you just need to install Win 7 Pro and activate using the COA. MOBO does have a PCI-e slot for the video card but would have to rmove it from the case if not using a half height card ( but for a mame cab should be fine )

good examples the one you listed sold before i seen it and unfortunately since im in hawaii im going to be paying crazy shipping.

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
Do the free shipping examples such as this not apply to you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-2400-3-10GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD/202437119177

I have 3 of the Dell SFF 790 PCs in my machines.  I can’t come close to building a PC for this cheap and Sandy Bridge is still a decent performer.  You will need a low profile GPU.  The Dell branded R5 240 or R7 250 can be found very cheap and is crtemudriver compatible.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Do the free shipping examples such as this not apply to you?
Excludes: Alaska/Hawaii ;)

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
Have you looked on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist or any surplus suppliers locally?  I have scored a few cheap  PCs that way.