Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Electric Ice 2 buttons sticking: repair or replace?  (Read 1300 times)

Procyon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 09:05:23 am
  • MAME FTW
Electric Ice 2 buttons sticking: repair or replace?
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:47:06 pm »
Hi all. Some of the Electric Ice 2 buttons I bought over 3 years ago are starting to stick. They stay pressed down after being tapped. I don't know whether to try and repair them or replace them.

If I try to repair them, what do people recommend? I imagine some kind of grease might help, but I don't know what kind.

If I try to replace them, what would you recommend? Any convex translucent button with a compatible RGB LED board should work.

Thanks for your help!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Electric Ice 2 buttons sticking: repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:53:08 pm »
Never used the ice buttons but can you not just strip and clean them?
Probably just a build up of crap.

Most buttons you can pop the plungers out and clean around underneath, check the springs etc.

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:05 am »
Are they using leaf switches?  I found mine were sticking because the leafs were getting caught on the plastic bumps on the housing that are meant to hold the other switch types (microswitches) in place.  If this is the case, you can either re-seat the leaf switches, or cut the little bumps off (the latter only recommended if you don't expect to use microswitches instead of leafs in the future).

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:00 pm »

Most buttons you can pop the plungers out and clean around underneath, check the springs etc.

I bought a grab bag of vintage buttons off ebay and some came with vintage soda coating the inside, so I soaked them in warm soapy water overnight and they were fine after.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:32:23 am »

I bought a grab bag of vintage buttons off ebay and some came with vintage soda coating the inside, so I soaked them in warm soapy water overnight and they were fine after.

I had a Wii like that, Covered in what I think (hope!?) was Coke!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:00:03 am
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:08:23 am »
For normal, "everyday" button cleaning (ie less than being soaked in soda), soak a little methylated spirits (about $2 for 1 litre bottle from local convenience store) onto a "finger" of cloth rag, and rub around the inside surfaces of the button. Removes most dirt/grime easily and then evaporates, doesn't leave any residue.
Check out my completed projects!