Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Speaker box project - a present to my daughter  (Read 7330 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Speaker box project - a present to my daughter
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »
Anyone here like building their own loudspeaker boxes?  Before I got into building arcade stuff I was building other types of cabinets including loudspeakers.  After a recent dumpster dive adventure I salvaged some half decent speaker drivers from a Samsung rear projection TV. The tweeters are nothing special but the little woofers are nice with rubber surrounds and some good excursion. I'll re-use the ports after I free them up from the MDF.

I measured the enclosures in the TV so I could reproduce the speaker box volumes correctly, then I drew up some build plans and a concept render.  The baffles will be made from some thick marine ply I have lying around, the rest from MDF.

I think I'll finish them in black and silver woodgrain to match the turntable they will go with.

I’m building these for one of my daughters while I wait for paint to dry or fibreglass to set on my other current project. This is just a bit of workshop fun; I want to see if I can make something nice from my freebies.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:24:01 pm by Ond »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: Speaker box project - making new stuff from trash
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:06 pm »
Ha!  I've been out of it for a while, but just started a few speaker projects.  I spent today tinkering with a couple of them.

I'd been wanting to try out one of these newfangled small 3-6" subwoofers that didn't exist back in the day. . Spent some fun money on a 5" tang band and two 5" Dayton passive radiators.  Meh, it can hit deep notes, but sounds sloppy and is more power hungry than I expected.  I will try a ported design tomorrow.  Not sure where it will end up.

The other project was a test build for desk speakers for work. These will be sized to fit the available space.  Today I made one out of mdf for the purposes of dialing in port length. I'd like to angle the front and find a few more cubic inches.  Waiting on soft dome tweeters from China. Random crossover is also temporary.  These are only 7.5" tall.  The drivers are advertised as 4", but they are closer to 3".

The third audio project on my radar is to build a portable speaker that runs off my 18v Bosch tool batteries.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »
Last year I built all of the speakers for my home theater.  4 surrounds, LCRs and 2 giant subs.  These were kits so I didn't have to make any cuts - well worth it, IMO.  Very fun project and they sound fantastic!

Three of these: LCRs

Six of these: Surrounds

Two of these: Subs

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:58:25 am by javeryh »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:20 am »
I built a couple of boomboxes.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:12:39 am by barrymossel »

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:01:19 am »
Big fan of DIY audio projects. I've made some kits and such but my speaker building is limited to a pair of subwoofers and what's called an Open Baffle setup... Various Mid/Tweet combos and four 18" pro woofers for low end.

Surprised you have room for boxed speakers. I'd think open baffle would be popular in these parts... Different sound but also well catered to cheap found drivers and lacks the need for precision box making... Can't do anything about spousal approval... Ain't got one  :laugh2:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:59 am »
.... Today I made one out of mdf for the purposes of dialing in port length. I'd like to angle the front and find a few more cubic inches.  Waiting on soft dome tweeters from China. Random crossover is also temporary.  These are only 7.5" tall.  The drivers are advertised as 4", but they are closer to 3".

Great stuff!  I like these small robust speakers that still pack a punch.

Last year I built all of the speakers for my home theater.  4 surrounds, LCRs and 2 giant subs.  These were kits so I didn't have to make any cuts - well worth it, IMO.  Very fun project and they sound fantastic!

I did the same for my home cinema.  Those kits look decent, I bet it saved you a ton of money building your own.

I built a couple of boomboxes.

Very nice!  Pro looking finish, that carry handle is the business.

Big fan of DIY audio projects. I've made some kits and such but my speaker building is limited to a pair of subwoofers and what's called an Open Baffle setup... Various Mid/Tweet combos and four 18" pro woofers for low end.

I've always been interested in open baffle designs but never built any, what are you powering that setup with...4 x 18" drivers?  :dizzy:

I managed to get some wood cut in between working on my other project.

I rescued the plastic ports from their MDF prison, just soaked them in water for a few hours, out they came nice and easy.

I'll cut the holes for drivers, ports and terminals next.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:21 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 09:12:59 am »
I built a bass amp speaker cab for my son. I made the speaker grill a tad too big. I am hoping it settles into its spot better with a little time. Otherwise I will have to start over on the grill. It is a 12 inch Eminence Legend bass guitar speaker. I built the box out of 3/4 inch plywood to the max interior dimensions for that speaker. It is not ported yet. My son wanted to see how it sounded sealed up. I used Duratex paint for the first time. It goes on thick and leaves a hard plastic textured finish. It is pretty awesome stuff. I need to apply another coat or two. A couple of the wood joints are still visible. I want to see if my son wants the box ported first. No sense in hauling it into my shop twice.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 04:20:48 pm »
Nice. I'll be watching this. I built a couple jukeboxes, but this is probably the one I like the most:

I went pretty low end on the speakers, and definitely focused on the visuals, but it still sounded great.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »
I'm impressed by the variety and number of DIY speaker projects!  I've found that what you can build for yourself, especially if you follow professionally designed  plans or build kits can sound really good at a fraction of the cost of retail speakers.  You can use the same materials and components as high end speakers.  I'm not expecting anything amazing from this project but it is fun to re-purpose found items.

I built a bass amp speaker cab for my son. I made the speaker grill a tad too big. I am hoping it settles into its spot better with a little time. Otherwise I will have to start over on the grill. It is a 12 inch Eminence Legend bass guitar speaker. I built the box out of 3/4 inch plywood to the max interior dimensions for that speaker. It is not ported yet. My son wanted to see how it sounded sealed up. I used Duratex paint for the first time. It goes on thick and leaves a hard plastic textured finish. It is pretty awesome stuff. I need to apply another coat or two. A couple of the wood joints are still visible. I want to see if my son wants the box ported first. No sense in hauling it into my shop twice.

I'd be interested in the results and what your son thinks is more pleasing.  In general, sealed enclosures tend to have a bit more 'punch' whilst sacrificing a bit of low end compared to ported variations.

Nice. I'll be watching this. I built a couple jukeboxes, but this is probably the one I like the most:

I went pretty low end on the speakers, and definitely focused on the visuals, but it still sounded great.

The grills on that unit are MONSTER!  ;D

I'm rethinking the finish on mine now, I might do all but the baffle in a real wood veneer.  Anyway before I commit to any of that I'm going to test the drivers in an unfinished box to make sure they don't sound terrible.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 07:55:13 pm »
Years ago I used to make my own ported speaker boxes but people know i'm a nerd so they give me their broken entertainment systems along with the speakers so I've got more sets of speakers than amps right now.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 11:02:32 am »
Had a slow day at work yesterday, so messed around with speaker designs in tinkercad.  I was looking for a way to get it to tell me the interior volume and came accross this website which gives the volume for an stl file:
https://www.viewstl.com/
For odd shapes, I was able to determine interior air space by filling the interior with shapes, combining them, copy and pasting that to a new project, then downloading the stl file and viewing it with that website.
It worked out pretty good.  If the enclosure has two flat sides, you can adjust the width to add or decrease volume without having to redo much.
I'm sure more professional software can do this internally, but this worked well for me without any learning curve.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »
Cool!  There's a lot of good online resources these days to help with speaker design here's a link to one that I like to use:

http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp

I'm going to go with biscuit joins on my little project.  They are really strong, superior to dowel joins and let you assemble the box to check things out prior to gluing - no screws required.  :cheers: 

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:42 am »
Using a cutting template I've cut the various holes in the speaker baffles and rear panels.

Here are the two baffles afterward.

A test fit of speaker drivers and ports into the baffles.  The marine ply baffles have a nice timber look so I think I'll varnish them and make the rest of the speaker cabinet high gloss black.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 06:47:37 am »
I'm putting these little speakers together using biscuits and MDF glue. There's a bit of effort in setting up the biscuit cutter and figuring out where the slots should be cut.  Biscuit joinery allows for simple glued joints which are also very strong. With this design the baffles need to be finished separately to the rest of the cabinet and then glued into place once the surface finishing is complete.  I like using biscuits because they allow some positioning of panels during the gluing process.  Once in place with panels aligned, they absorb wood glue, swell slightly and strongly lock the joins together.

Once the cutter is set up, each slot can be cut in exactly the same relative location on each panel allowing for precision joinery.

Here are the panels ready to be glued up.  You can just see the matching slots in the side panels.  I've also rebated the side, top and bottom panels to allow the rear panel to be fitted into the back of the cabinet.

... and here they are all glued up (except for the baffles).  Once dry, I'm going to sand them down and then angle cut the edges of the baffle (and top and bottom panels) to 45 degrees like I've drawn in my design.  I'll probably route the top and bottom edges very slightly with the 45 degree bit as well, so those corners aren’t super sharp later on with a high gloss finish.

next up... testing the drivers and preparing for surface finishing.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:50:16 am by Ond »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:07 am »
Those biscuit joins are new to me. Could be really useful in future builds. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:23:28 am by barrymossel »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:21 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 08:01:49 am »
Biscuit joints are handy for positioning glued up wood. The wood tends to slide around when you try to clamp it down. Biscuits hold it in place. I have to clamp my stuff down and throw a finish nail or two in to keep things in place. I would like to have a biscuit joiner, but every time I think of buying one something else takes priority.

Ond. Are all biscuit joiners capable of router table mounting, or is that a feature of the joiner you bought?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 09:40:24 am »
I'm curious too - I have a DeWalt biscuit joiner (love it) but I never thought to table mount it.  Usually I just mark the center point with a pencil and let the tool do the rest (you can be "off" with the cut a little in either direction because the biscuits aren't a tight fit).

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:50 pm »
Those are going to be some very nice looking cabinets.

After you cut the 45 on the plywood baffle, are you going to leave the striped edge of the plywood showing?

Just curious.  I've seen it done in ways that look really nice, but the design has to lend itself to it.
I think it would look good on this.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 04:34:29 pm »
Those biscuit joins are new to me. Could be really useful in future builds. Thanks!

Great! When I build my Metropolis cabinet I will be using them again.

Biscuit joiners come in various forms.  A DeWalt unit like javeryh mentioned is hand held.  Mine is a router table accessory. Either is fine, the table is good for large heavy panels.  With the table attachment you just slide the panel against the spring loaded cutter.

Those are going to be some very nice looking cabinets.

After you cut the 45 on the plywood baffle, are you going to leave the striped edge of the plywood showing?

Just curious.  I've seen it done in ways that look really nice, but the design has to lend itself to it.
I think it would look good on this.

These speakers are a gift to my daughter for completing her senior school year.  She's arty like me but has her own style which constantly impresses me.  I'll be covering the striped, bevelled edge of the plywood with matching oak veneer.  I may stain the timber but only very lightly.   :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »
Moving this along steadily...

Whenever I build speaker cabinets I have a set of fabrication steps.  This includes cutting gaskets for the drivers so that they seal properly against the baffle.

Cut and fit acoustic mat.

I've found the drivers I salvaged are not going to be good enough, which is a bit disappointing.  I spent some time researching suitable drivers for the cabinet size and cut baffle.  I was lucky to find some and re-drafted the plan to allow for a different template.  The new drivers have been ordered.  The only salvaged items will be the ports.

I've also decided to veneer the entire baffles for a good all round match.  I found some really nice (darker) veneer.  It's an Australian hardwood called Jarrah which should look nice with the gloss black.  I'll start gluing this onto the baffles tomorrow.

Because I'm veneering the entire baffle surface I need to allow for the veneer thickness.  I've slightly rebated the rear of the baffles and trimmed the edges for this.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 05:23:48 am »
These are coming out great.  You are making me want to build a pair for my daughter as well who at 14 has really gotten into music all of a sudden and thankfully she likes rock music (pop punk for now but I’m sure it will lead to other stuff).

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 03:29:32 pm »
Whenever I build speaker cabinets I have a set of fabrication steps.  This includes cutting gaskets for the drivers so that they seal properly against the baffle.

Damn I feel like a hack.  In my imagination I plan to take my time, make templates and have your attention to detail.  Then I get in the workshop and hack up stuff just to get it done.

I've found the drivers I salvaged are not going to be good enough, which is a bit disappointing.  I spent some time researching suitable drivers for the cabinet size and cut baffle.  I was lucky to find some and re-drafted the plan to allow for a different template.  The new drivers have been ordered.  The only salvaged items will be the ports.

That sucks.  I hate it when the cost runs away on projects that start out as a fun use of found parts.  :-\

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 08:53:30 pm »

lol! Happens to the best of us. Besides, this was turning out too nice for anything less than bad ass.

Now, rename this thread to making new stuff from new stuff.

Ond

• Offline Offline
Re: Speaker box project - a present to my daughter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »
These are coming out great.  You are making me want to build a pair for my daughter as well who at 14 has really gotten into music all of a sudden and thankfully she likes rock music (pop punk for now but I’m sure it will lead to other stuff).

It's a good reason to share the project.  I'll make all the mistakes and then you can build from my prototype  ;D  My daughter is 18 and loves her record player and growing collection of vinyl - some new, some second hand.  She just has little satellite speakers and a cheap subwoofer at the moment - these should be a nice improvement.

Damn I feel like a hack.  In my imagination I plan to take my time, make templates and have your attention to detail.  Then I get in the workshop and hack up stuff just to get it done.

That sucks.  I hate it when the cost runs away on projects that start out as a fun use of found parts.  :-\

lol! Happens to the best of us. Besides, this was turning out too nice for anything less than bad ass.

Now, rename this thread to making new stuff from new stuff.

Yeah ... the premise for this project has gone out the window  :lol.  Still, these are now going to be very nice sounding and looking (all being well).  That's not uncommon for me, starting off as one thing and ending as another. 

The new drivers which match the ported box volume are:

•   Dayton Audio Reference Series RS150-8 6" woofers
•   Dayton DC28FT-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Truncated Tweeter 8 Ohm

These will be run with matched Dayton crossovers with the cross being at 2.5 kHz

I'll post pics of these when I have them in my hands.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 02:37:54 pm »

I'm using the 4" RS-100P paper cone version in the desk speakers I'm building.
They are crazy clear. 
(Although in the case of desk speakers, I should have just used the full range version to keep it simple.)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 08:50:58 am »

I'm using the 4" RS-100P paper cone version in the desk speakers I'm building.
They are crazy clear. 
(Although in the case of desk speakers, I should have just used the full range version to keep it simple.)

I thought I saw you were using Dayton drivers.  I’m looking forward to hearing these ones perform.  Dayton have recommended box sizes in the specs which is really useful and in this case they were easy to match with a crossover.  They arrived by courier today.

Here's the veneering progress I made today.  I cut all the strips to match from one sheet of veneer.

I don't like the iron on stuff, I prefer to apply contact glue myself to both surfaces.

I work from the outside most edges, in towards the centre.

Here's how the veneered baffle looks like compared to the still un-veneered one.

The next step is to grain fill and then fine sand the veneered baffle before applying lacquer.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »
That looks fantastic. How much practise did that cost??

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »
That looks fantastic. How much practise did that cost??

I won't lie, veneering is hard work.  Much practise is the cost.

I'll finish off veneering both baffles this weekend.  Clear coating and polishing the timber will make them look really good.  I think I'll make some grills for these speakers to protect the silk dome tweeters, they are just too fragile.  I'll make the grills fairly transparent so the drivers are visible.  Enough postings, I'm off to the workshop. 

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 03:54:28 pm »
Ah... building speakers is always a fun time. Wish that I had your skills,and want to do something that looks good for the office.
The last ones I built isn't really either the right size or the right looks for the office ;)
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2024, 06:40:37 am »
I never posted the finish of this project. Not much going on in Projects so, what the hell..

I modded an old stereo amp with bluetooth for my daughter so she can play music from her iPhone to these speakers as well as play records on her turntable. They sound very nice, good base, reasonable midrange and crisp high notes.

I've been away from the forum for quite a while so I may post more random project related ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- here and there in the coming days....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2024, 12:14:26 pm »
I don't have pictures, but back in the day when I had money and my health, and my DVDs and Blu-rays weren't in storage, I made an epic surround setup with the disc storage also housing the left and right speakers, the sub built into the space under the TV stand (no touching!) and at the time Imoved in the basement had no ceiling and so I ran speaker wire between the floor joists to the back of the room for the surround. Not as nice as these projects but sounded good and didn't take up much space.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 01:43:54 am »
Those look great! Good job.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2024, 02:02:15 pm »
Those came out really nice! 

I had a lot of fun building speakers several years ago but they are hidden behind an acoustically transparent screen so no one ever sees them... but I tried to make them nice anyway!

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:42:33 pm by javeryh »

Lexiq

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:05:20 pm
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2024, 02:00:57 am »
Beautiful work - nice design and finish on everything!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2024, 08:36:33 am »
While I can't hear these, they look beautiful.

I love wood laminate for retro-feel, but I love real Australian Jarrah even more :D

Check out my completed projects!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2024, 01:53:02 pm »
i have been lurking this tread for a while and decided to comment.... those look great! good job on the finish, i kinda wasn't feeling the color at first, but seeing the finished product, it looks really good and matches the aesthetic really well.

guess that's why i'm not an interior designer.

i designed a stand for our wallbox "virtuo" jukebox to turn it into a stand alone unit. i designed it with dual 10" rockford fosgate woofers in the base and some bose speakers mounted to the sides.

used winISD to design the port for the "box" and woofers, tuned it to like 40hz. was doing some vigorous testing with it after we built it, rattling the overhead door 100 feet away from where it was situated. We then had the neighbor in the bay next to our (strip plaza warehouses) come over telling us it was shaking stuff on the walls in his place. (our walls separating our bays are concrete cinder block construction). so, win I guess.