Main > Project Announcements

Speaker box project - a present to my daughter

(1/8) > >>

Ond:
Anyone here like building their own loudspeaker boxes?  Before I got into building arcade stuff I was building other types of cabinets including loudspeakers.  After a recent dumpster dive adventure I salvaged some half decent speaker drivers from a Samsung rear projection TV. The tweeters are nothing special but the little woofers are nice with rubber surrounds and some good excursion. I'll re-use the ports after I free them up from the MDF.

I measured the enclosures in the TV so I could reproduce the speaker box volumes correctly, then I drew up some build plans and a concept render.  The baffles will be made from some thick marine ply I have lying around, the rest from MDF.

I think I'll finish them in black and silver woodgrain to match the turntable they will go with.

I’m building these for one of my daughters while I wait for paint to dry or fibreglass to set on my other current project. This is just a bit of workshop fun; I want to see if I can make something nice from my freebies.

BadMouth:
Ha!  I've been out of it for a while, but just started a few speaker projects.  I spent today tinkering with a couple of them.

I'd been wanting to try out one of these newfangled small 3-6" subwoofers that didn't exist back in the day. . Spent some fun money on a 5" tang band and two 5" Dayton passive radiators.  Meh, it can hit deep notes, but sounds sloppy and is more power hungry than I expected.  I will try a ported design tomorrow.  Not sure where it will end up.

The other project was a test build for desk speakers for work. These will be sized to fit the available space.  Today I made one out of mdf for the purposes of dialing in port length. I'd like to angle the front and find a few more cubic inches.  Waiting on soft dome tweeters from China. Random crossover is also temporary.  These are only 7.5" tall.  The drivers are advertised as 4", but they are closer to 3".

The third audio project on my radar is to build a portable speaker that runs off my 18v Bosch tool batteries.

javeryh:
Last year I built all of the speakers for my home theater.  4 surrounds, LCRs and 2 giant subs.  These were kits so I didn't have to make any cuts - well worth it, IMO.  Very fun project and they sound fantastic!

Three of these: LCRs

Six of these: Surrounds

Two of these: Subs

barrymossel:
I built a couple of boomboxes.

morton:
Big fan of DIY audio projects. I've made some kits and such but my speaker building is limited to a pair of subwoofers and what's called an Open Baffle setup... Various Mid/Tweet combos and four 18" pro woofers for low end.

Surprised you have room for boxed speakers. I'd think open baffle would be popular in these parts... Different sound but also well catered to cheap found drivers and lacks the need for precision box making... Can't do anything about spousal approval... Ain't got one  :laugh2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version