Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Room Solutions basic tabletop kit  (Read 10961 times)

drabina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2018, 04:28:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Game Room Solutions basic tabletop kit
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:27:03 pm »
This is my review of Bartop Arcade Kit from GameRoomSolutions.

For my new tabletop build I have decided to buy basic kit from Game Room Solutions (GRS) instead of buying wood, measuring, cutting, etc. I have to say that this was against most of the recommendations here on this forum (I had a separate topic asking for some). I had few pre-sales questions that Ryan from GRS answered same day via e-mail. Next day (Tuesday), I have placed the order. Package arrived Friday. All parts were packed neatly with enough padding so nothing got damaged. I did see some old posts with photos showing bad quality cuts so I have to admit that I was a bit scary to open the package. To my surprise every piece was perfect with no bad cuts or peeling melamine. Package included all wooden pieces plus hardware to assemble it. Instructions are available on YouTube and provided by GRS. I think this is a lot better than wasting paper Ikea style plus the assembly is not complicated so one glance at the video is enough to put the kit together.

Were there any problems? Not really. The control panel came as 2 player version when I have ordered 1 player but Ryan shipped the replacement free next day and it arrived in a couple of days. Other than that, there was a small chip on one of the panels but only one for all the panels that the kit consists of so not a big deal. I know how "chippy" melamine is since I built a walking closet out of it and couldn't avoid chips even with my careful cutting and assembly. So, no problems that I could complain about.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it. I can't imaging how much time I would spend building the cabinet from scratch and how many mistakes I could make that would need a rework.

See photos of the kit right out of the box. I will start another topic of the actual build to let you know what's the quality of the cuts and if the cam lock hardware is up to the task.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Game Room Solutions basic tabletop kit
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »
To my surprise every piece was perfect

The control panel came as 2 player version when I have ordered 1 player

there was a small chip on one of the panels

perfect? :dunno

drabina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 01:41:23 pm »
Really? Did you check the price of the kit before quoting few of my sentences? For $85 shipped, one chip in melamine is still perfect in my opinion. Control panel issue is logistics (packing) and since it was resolved to my satisfaction (I did not even had to return the 2 version panel), it is not a problem to me. If it is to you, just skip GRS kit then. I had more problems with orders and packages from Amazon than with this purchase.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:45:36 pm »
You don't know what perfect means. Stop using that word.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »

It is also not 85 dollars shipped the way you have it configured. Why all of the dishonesty?

double sided black melamine adds 20 bucks to the price.

The cam lock system adds 35 dollars.

drabina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »
You have started attacking me for one word I have used. Sorry Mr. Perfect but not everybody's native language is English. All I wanted to express in this review was that the GRS kit is a good one and that I was happy with my purchase even though almost all replies on this forum to my previous post were praising another company's product and claiming that what I was about to purchase was crap. Go an quote me few more times. I do not care. It is not worth it.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:12 pm »
So what DID you pay???
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:59 pm »
If your misuse of the word "perfect" was due to a language barrier than I can understand that.

But why lie about the price of the kit?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:04 pm »
The kit as he has it configured would cost like 140 dollars. If you want the acrylic monitor bezel, I think they rip you for like 35 dollars more.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »
Haruman packs the kits better than that and there still some chipping, nature of the beast with melamine and I wouldnt knock GRS's kits for it.  The price thing is interesting though.  How much did you actually pay, and was there any sort of discount for providing a review? There's absolutely nothing wrong with receiving a discount to do a review, so long as the review is still honest.

Im assuming you bought the $85 base model, so what options did you add? GSR does seem to nickle and dime you for everything.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »
Hasn't this vendor been rumbled using sock accounts before?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:49:50 pm »
Hasn't this vendor been rumbled using sock accounts before?

yes, I called out the first account then they created a second with the same IP to call me an ---uvula---. Both accounts were banned and the thread was locked by ScottBott.
I am not implying that this account/thread is in the same vein, but saying that it did happen in the past.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 03:34:10 pm »
How much did you actually pay

^THis - or perhaps show a pic of the invoice --- $85 would be a decent price for that but looking at the site the $85 kit is plain MDF with no Hardware or brackets for assembly so minimally you'd have had to go with the $20 for Melamine and $35 for the mounting hardware for at least a total of $140 !  ( So calling it a perfect $85 kit is a bit misleading ! ) -- Plus are you in the US ( since you mention English not being your native language ) As that would probalby double the price again if shipped internationally !  :dunno