Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Calibrating AimTrak Guns  (Read 3661 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Calibrating AimTrak Guns
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:58:11 pm »
Hi folks,

I had to recalibrate my 2 Ultimarc AimTrak guns this evening, which I wouldn't have done if I didn't have to....anyhow, I think I might have a problem.  It's been years since I last having to calibrate them, so here goes:

During the calibration, when the calibration cursor arrow goes to the top left of the screen, I can successfully fire the trigger and the calibration cursor then proceeds to the top right corner, which then I fire the trigger and successfully and then the cursor proceeds to move close to the bottom of the screen at the center.

I then fire the trigger and then the calibration arrow flashes....and remains at the center of the screen flashing.  I notice then that I lose control of all mouse capability...whether it's a computer mouse or the light gun itself.  I have no option but to restart the PC from a keyboard.

Is this normal or am I missing something, or is something broken?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:06:23 pm by Richardgregory »

sgeist28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2022, 10:05:07 pm
Re: Calibrating AimTrak Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »
I've also experience weird calibration issues too, particularly with the middle bottom like yourself.  Are you running Windows 10?

I've come to the conclusion that these Aimtrak devices have some underlying problem with Windows 10.   I've watched plenty of videos on how to set it up, and it works for the short term, but as soon as I start playing a game within a few minutes the Aimtrak becomes unresponsive and I stop playing.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »
It can happen on windows 7 as well. After many, many  tries I was able to hit the center arrow. Make sure your room is darkened. Also the Aimtrak utility should have a tab which allows you to see how well the gun/or lights are tracking.
Sgeist28, Have a similar problem with gun #2.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:06:46 pm »
If its not seeing the bottom of the screen you are possibly to close to the screen?
Buy why it would crash the system I have no idea :s

I have only used mine on window XP and 7.

Just A crazy idea can you run the AT app in compatibility mode??

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »

There is a lot of info on www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html about troubleshooting calibration issues. The bottom point is most critical as the LED bar needs to be fully seen at this point.

The Aimtrak software utility can be used for troubleshooting but is not necessary for calibration and its better to calibrate without this running.

The most common reason for failure to calibrate is being too close to the screen. This is easy to check using the "sensor view check" in the utility. This must show the red dot within the square which represents the screen, and must display a count of "2" when aimed at the bottom of the screen. Note the calibration points are not at the screen edges but slightly in from the edge.

Other causes can be LED bar inverted or not powered from a full-current USB port or charger. Data errors or loss can be USB port is a 3.0 port and not fully backwards compatible with 2.0. The cable on the gun is long so a fully compatible 2.0 port is needed.

patrickfx1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 11:38:48 am
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:27:28 am »
Will share my experience on that.  I made 3 time calibration in the 6-7 years of life with Aimtrack.  Yesterday, i re-calibrate and the situation where NO WAY I can finish the calibration of the 3rd action in the middle never accept it.

First thing, observe if in the calibration IR sensor you see RED or YELLOW dot.  If yellow DOT, I think you are in big trouble like me.

Second, I observe that you need to help the sensibility of the IR bar to conclude this middle calibration.  For myself, the only way i made it work, i share here, but please do understand it is weird, i know.  I install 2 IR BAR on top of each other.  And guess what...it work...why, I DONT KNOW :)

If i can give some less headick to someone with this trick, well, enjoy !