Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Protruding monitor shield?  (Read 3663 times)

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 11:42:41 am
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Protruding monitor shield?
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:08 pm »
Hi all, I'm restor-moding a horrendously converted tempest cab with a PC and VGA CRT monitor.  I noticed to get in a 21" CRT monitor, that some of it sticks out a bit from the back of the cabinet.  I know with certain cabarets you can get a plastic vacuum formed monitor shield (not sure if this is what its called) that encloses everything.  Has anybody ever come up with a DIY alternative for this?  Thanks.

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 02:12:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
Re: Protruding monitor shield?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:46:55 pm »
I didn't end up needing to, but I had an idea for this if my cab would've needed it. Since the TV would be decased, take the back of the case, and use a portion of it to make the "bulge."

It would take some work cutting it and positioning it, so it looked  nice. And it would probably have to be painted to look decent.

Just my 2c, though, as I didn't have to follow through with it, so I don't have an example to show you.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 06:51:45 pm »
I would say it depends on how much the neck sticks out. When I designed my cab, I knew things would be tight. Turns out they were really tight and my neckboard was gonna hit the back of the cab. In my case I was lucky as I was able to rotate the monitor 180 degrees, where the neckboard was smaller and cleared the back of my cab. Had that not worked I was considering either routing a small pocket on the back of the cabinet door, or adding a small metal box to the back if the pocket did not give me enough space.

While the idea of using something plastic or the old monitor shroud may seem more aesthetically pleasing, I would like to think the primary function is to protect the neck. Since you're not likely gonna be looking at the back of the cabinet, I would consider using something a bit more rugged to protect the neck if it protrudes from the cab. Especially if its going to get moved a bit. It's not worth looking good if its gonna leave you vulnerable.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:49 pm »
Ok I'll ask the obvious question since nobody else will.  Why are you trying to put a 21 incher in a cabinet designed for a 19 inch monitor?  It won't fit because you are using the wrong size, so use the correct size and the problem is solved. 

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 12:10:51 am »
Hi all, I'm restor-moding a horrendously converted tempest cab with a PC and VGA CRT monitor.  I noticed to get in a 21" CRT monitor, that some of it sticks out a bit from the back of the cabinet.  I know with certain cabarets you can get a plastic vacuum formed monitor shield (not sure if this is what its called) that encloses everything.  Has anybody ever come up with a DIY alternative for this?  Thanks.

As a matter of fact, Ond just built himself a vacuum press the other day: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158083.msg1663512.html#msg1663512
%Bartop

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:12:18 am »
Ok I'll ask the obvious question since nobody else will.  Why are you trying to put a 21 incher in a cabinet designed for a 19 inch monitor?  It won't fit because you are using the wrong size, so use the correct size and the problem is solved.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but isn't a 21 inch PC CRT monitor basically a 19" arcade monitor?  Size wise I meant.  Obviously the resolution is different.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:27:09 am by processedmeat »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 01:14:37 am »
You’re totally wrong.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »

Maybe I'm totally wrong but isn't a 21 inch PC CRT monitor basically a 19" arcade monitor?  Size wise I meant.  Obviously the resolution is different.

Viewable area could be close depending on the model.
PC CRT's were measured diagonally from corner to corner of the bezel so you could actually have anywhere from 19.5 - 20" of actual visible screen.
The tube itself will be bigger though.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:34 pm »
De-case the monitor and make a new plywood mount that will fit your cabinet.  Usually it's the frame of the monitor (case of the monitor) that causes it to bump out.  You can also adjust the viewing angle as needed to give you a little more room.

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:09 am »
I thought about uncasing the monitor but the metal shielding that goes around the entire monitor is roughly the same size as the case so I wouldn't save any significant real estate with that.  If I remove the metal shielding, a ribbon cable that goes to the chassis that is attached to it is really short and I wouldn't be able to move it to save space as well.  I would have to extend the wiring to be able to move it. 

I guess I'll try to fabricate something out of wood.  I was hoping that someone had a lead on something easy  I could repurpose from like Home Depot or something.

Thanks all for replying. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:14 pm »
Howard, how have you been around here as long as I am without knowing that a 21" PC CRT is the closest tube size you can normally get to a 19" arcade CRT due to measuring differences.

I built a lot of cabinets in the old days where the monitor poked out the back a little bit. It isn't really a big deal. I never felt the need to do anything other than cut a clearance hole.

However if you really want to cover it then go find a 23" or 25" TV and use a section of the back case.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »
Because it's not?  When you put a pc monitor in a cabinet instead of a proper arcade crt there are some differences.... one of them is that visible area might be smaller unless you de-case it.  That doesn't mean you try to cram something in that doesn't fit. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:11 pm »
However if you really want to cover it then go find a 23" or 25" TV and use a section of the back case.
^This. Or I've seen people cut out portions of wide Tupperware/Plastic bins to the shape they need, spray paint them black and installed them as the back shield.  That's a ghetto solution compared to a vacuuming molding set-up but it produces decent results for something that is going to be behind the cabinet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »
Well guys the guy said he wanted to do a  "resto / mame" for the cabinet.  To me that means don't cut holes in the thing.   If you are really hung up on the visible area maybe try to find a 20" ? You can of course make a new back panel, saving the old one and hack away. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 11:00:57 pm »
Most arcade collectors don't even really care too much if the back door is completely missing.

I have also seen boxes made out of wood to cover protruding monitor bits.

Sometimes you have to section the back door just to replace a monitor with a different brand monitor of the same size. Seemed to be particularly a thing with Sega Turbo when replacing the Nanoa with a different monitor.

Howard, I actually meant decased. As far as I can tell they never actually made a modern era high res PC monitor with the exact same tube measurements as the standard 19" arcade/TV tube. It was years ago that I did my measurements, but from what I recall 21" PC monitors were a fraction of an inch larger than a 19" arcade and 20" monitors might as well have not existed, really only seemed to crop up in broadcast monitors and other non-mainstream applications.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:09:28 pm by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.