Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone Running a GroovyMAME setup on a Versus City?  (Read 1708 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone Running a GroovyMAME setup on a Versus City?
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:24:24 pm »
Curious if anyone is running a GM setup on a Versus City cabinet. I have one and am considering a build for it, but am not sure what the best methods for interfacing etc would be, and am curious what others (if any are out there) are running. Any pointers is appreciated. Thanks

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Re: Anyone Running a GroovyMAME setup on a Versus City?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:16:47 am »
Astro City here
PC through a JPac etc, it's the way most people do it

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:24:20 am »
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the JPAC was way to go or not but given its Jamma that is likely the most reversible way to go?

Is the video output on the JPAC the way to go or do you recommend a 15khz capable video card?

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:16:11 pm »
Does your cabinet have a 15KHz monitor?

The JPAC doesn't do any signal transcoding so if you need a 15KHz signal, then you'll need a 15KHz capable video card and CRT Emudriver.

The recommended config these days is a Radeon HD 5000 or higher with CRT Emudriver 2.0.

Windows 7 64-bit seems to have the least problems with a GroovyMAME set up, as far as operating systems go.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:47 am
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:58:21 am »
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the JPAC was way to go or not but given its Jamma that is likely the most reversible way to go?

Is the video output on the JPAC the way to go or do you recommend a 15khz capable video card?

To be clear, You need both the JPAC and the appropriate video card running 15khz by CRT-emudriver (or some other means).

Even after you get 15khz output from your video card, you will want video signal amplification for an arcade monitor. Why? Because arcade monitors expect stronger RGB signals than computer monitors and TVs, the signal strength will be relatively weak. You'll probably still get a picture on your arcade monitor without a video amp, but it will be faint.

The JPAC is a very popular choice as it plugs directly into JAMMA and acts as both a video amp AND a keyboard/controller interface between your PC and the arcade monitor. 98% of the time you will need both video amp and keyboard interface for MAME anyway. You can buy these components separately but this makes little sense as JPAC is designed for this purpose, is very simple to install and relatively cheap. In most cases you can just plug it in and it works.
Check out my completed projects!