Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TMNT 4-Player control panel which should be considered player one ? 3124 OR 1234  (Read 1346 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I'm setting up a 4-Player TMNT cabinet using the traditional artwork so that's not changing nor is the control panel scheme... The coin doors / 4 slots will line up with their respective players. Do you consider all the way on the left to be player one ? Or the 2nd one in to be player one & Player 3 to be player 2 ?! I'm running other games and to me the controls are a bit funky for other games Yellow and Purple Player (Michelangelo & Donatello) seem to have better button layouts for the other playable games within the system. Maybe it's prefrence but I think I'm going to wire the control panel instead of left to right player 1,2,3,4... I think I'm considering 3,1,2,4 as the layout, thoughts ?

This is what I'm thinking works best for all the other games:
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
You've got the right idea.

Wire and configure it so the default is 3  1  2  4.

Remap the controls in 4 player games to 1  2  3  4.

Most 4-player MAME control panels have the controls in this default player order -- 3  1  2  4

The two most commonly used positions (Players 1 and 2) are on the center-left and center-right -- they have the best viewing angle and puts those players closest to the center of the screen.

For some games like TMNT, the players appear on the screen in 1  2  3  4 order.

For games like that, you can remap the buttons so the default Player 3 stick/buttons (far left on panel) control Player 1 (far left on screen), P1 stick/buttons control P2, and P2 stick/buttons control P3.

A friend likes playing The Simpsons as Bart (default P3) so I remapped P3 controls to P1 stick/buttons and set Marge (default P1) controls to "none".

A quick look at the TMNT coin-up screen before starting confirms the order to use so the screen matches the CPO.
Leo (P1)  Mikey (P2)  Donnie (P3)  Raph (P4)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:42:02 pm by PL1 »

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
You've got the right idea.

Wire and configure it so the default is 3  1  2  4.

Remap the controls in 4 player games to 1  2  3  4.

Yep that's exactly how I'm going to do it.

The two most commonly used positions (Players 1 and 2) are on the center-left and center-right -- they have the best viewing angle and puts those players closest to the center of the screen.

For some games like TMNT, the players appear on the screen in 1  2  3  4 order.

For games like that, you can remap the buttons so the default Player 3 stick/buttons (far left on panel) control Player 1 (far left on screen), P1 stick/buttons control P2, and P2 stick/buttons control P3.

A friend likes playing The Simpsons as Bart (default P3) so I remapped P3 controls to P1 stick/buttons and set Marge (default P1) controls to "none".

Makes sense... In the voice of Mario the other Italian hereee weee goooo

A quick look at the TMNT coin-up screen before starting confirms the order to use so the screen matches the CPO.
Leo (P1)  Mikey (P2)  Donnie (P3)  Raph (P4)

Scott
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
What PL1 said is how I did broad street bullies. are you considering a 3rd button for the players? No NBA Jam, Open Ice, Blitz, HangTime,etc without a 3rd
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
What Scottbot said.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***