Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMame Odd Graphics if Frontend Run First  (Read 2081 times)

siastbill1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2023, 08:14:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMame Odd Graphics if Frontend Run First
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:00:24 pm »
Hello,

First of all I'd like to say that GroovyMame has been an absolute treat, and that combined with Atom-15 has made running an Arcade monitor very smooth and simple.

I'm running GM 0.183 on Windows 10 with a Radeon 6450 (flashed with Atom-15) hooked up to a Electrohome G07 and everything has been great. I then installed Advmenuplus as the frontend (I like how light it is). What I've found is that on a fresh Windows boot if Advmenuplus is run before I run a GM game, any games I play in GM have weird anomalies such as extreme letter boxing. This happens whether I launch them from Advmenuplus or the commandline. If instead I run a game in GM from the commandline first, then I run Advmenuplus to launch all consecutive games, everything seems fine as far as I can tell.

Any guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Re: GroovyMame Odd Graphics if Frontend Run First
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:55:21 am »
Do you get the same result when using a different FE?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:08:43 pm »
Extreme letterboxing can occur in Win10 with crt_emudriver when you use fast start. It's normally a problem when you load up though, not when launching apps. Still, you could google how to disable it. Also, Calamity posted up the command to restart the video driver in Win10 (Win + Ctrl + Shift + B), not sure if that helps.

You should also stop *and* disable the service called AMD External Events Utility, and check the "hide modes this monitor cannot disaply" box in the display properties dialog for your monitor, the one you can reach from the desktop. I'm not sure this last will help though.

Try those two things one step at a time, and let us know if it works! IF not, it must be the frontend :)

siastbill1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 10:36:18 pm »
Thank you both for your posts. I will give it a try and post back.

BTW, I changed the Advmancemenuplus resolution to 320x240 instead of 640x480, and now sometimes Advmenuplus letterboxes on boot and sometimes it doesn't. Very strange!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:29 pm »
Then, if you're on Win 10, search for and open “Power options” in the Start Menu. Click “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left side of the window. Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable.” Under “Shutdown settings” make sure “Turn on fast startup” is disabled/unchecked.

Found where i posted this a few days back :)

siastbill1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:22:46 am »
Hello. Time was a bit tight, so I did everything (disable fast start, disable AMD events service, disabled modes my monitor can't display) in one go. Things seem to be fixed now, and atmittedly it doesn't feel like Windows is booting any slower!

If I don't experience anything again over the course of a week, I'll post back once more to indicate that it appears to have permanently fixed it.

Thank you for your help!

siastbill1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:49:14 am »
Hello,

Just writing back to confirm a week later that I have not experienced any letterboxing when loading Advmenuplus on startup and then running GroovyMame. All seems to be fixed.

Thanks again!

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:00:01 pm »
I use windows 10 and fast start, no issues at all. Perhaps the specific version introduces an issue with crt emudriver? I’m on 1607 enterprise. Also using attractmode and windows at 640x480, not sure if that makes a difference or not.