Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe CD-100  (Read 4423 times)

Walz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2019, 10:25:12 pm
  • Restoration Rowe Jukebox
    • sites.google.com/site/rowejukeboxrepair/
Rowe CD-100
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:49:57 am »
Hello,

Make: Rowe
Model: CD-100
Year: March 1990

I'm working on a garage find, its complete, except its dusty. Here in Alaska we don't have much to pick from, however its a winter project.

I'm really good at restoring these projects, I'm older and I dont butcher, I restore to factory. I'm taking everything out, cleaning, servicing, restoring, etc. The good part is the jukebox has not been monkey with, its factory inside, but dusty.

What I need is some help, I have a original manual for this so I wont get lost, taking pictures, what does it take to restore the side panels, they need cleaning and they are dull finish. Sitting for a long time has produced some dust, I'm cleaning everything by dissembling, which is important since the dust is in every nook and cranny.

Any tips are useful!  :)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:52:57 am by Walz »
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
Re: Rowe CD-100
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:37:12 pm »
I'm looking for these covers, anyone know where I can get some.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:17:08 pm »
Well,
Since my first post I'm making progress, everything has been dismantled, serviced, repaired, and cleaned.

Overall ive been lucky the jukebox is in excellent condition for its age, being a barn find.

Basically, everything functions great, I've replaced a few things nothing of little $$$$$. I've probably got several hundred dollars invested in the jukebox, that is essential free from the start with a excellent exterior and interior, electronics, no one butchered the jukebox, just played it until it quit running, all of the bulbs were burned out, stuff like that.

The only issue I'm having, and after studying all of the feedback of owners the CDM12 Industrial is kaput, has a lot of wear, its from 1995, which is no big surprise with it's age, thats the only real biggie I'm happy. So I'm sending another unit, a CD-PRO to have it refurbished by a expert in jukebox repair, when he's finished and its back I see no reason for the jukebox not to run, the computer is functioning excellent, I'm in all of the levels, its really good to have quite a find.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:24 pm »
Photos
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »
I've sourced most of the parts, about 99% of them.

Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:49:22 pm »
It was dirty,a lot of work went into this, the original owners are still in business in Anchorage, Alaska. The surface rust on the magazine was removed, everything was serviced, checked out, re-alligned, šnd function checked.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »
Since I've sourced 99% of the parts, what's left? The amp panels are missing and they are going to be a real problem to source.  :angry:

I've checked everywhere, without any luck, the CD-100, CD-100A, are identical but even with two options its really difficult if not impossible to locate them.  :angry:

Here is mine that's missing the two amp panels, an example of one jukebox with the amp covers, an up close example of one jukebox with the front panel.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 01:11:30 pm »
 :blah: So to recap, a Jukebox barn find, cleaned, serviced, sourced parts, and the CD-PRO is being repaired now. Not bad for a jukebox find.

:soapbox: What I really hate about some people is; bad advice, talking smack, trying to blow smoke up my butt. I've made it almost 60 years on learning about things and the best advice on this specific jukebox repair is the repair manual, it gives you everything on this jukebox and its a great tool. If you have the same jukebox, you really need the book. And don't be afraid of scribbling all over it, that helps you figure out things easier when you look at again. Same for programming, everything, I have two books one for the jukebox and one for notes.

:) If I put in $500.00 into this jukebox it's worth the money, especially when its a barn find, I could have stripped down this jukebox and made some good money n parts, however, I really wanted a CD jukebox made in the usa.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:59 pm »
More work completed, I have the display spinning, all of the lights replaced, I had to fabricate the missing panels, it's a lot of work, adjusting the parts, checking the electronics.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:21:19 pm by Walz »
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:23:19 pm »
Life is good, better in Alaska.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 07:08:39 pm »
The jukebox came with two cd-pro, CD-12 which I'm rebuilding, I have replaced several parts; flex foil cable, turn table motors, idler wheel intermediate gear, optical, its been a lot of work finding good quality parts, and of course rebuilding the CD units. :) .

The units are fairly simple to work on, I check my work making sure everything is working correctly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:16:11 pm by Walz »
Restoration jukebox:

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 11:26:13 pm »
The CDPRO2 is the very latest player which directly replaces the CDPRO and CDM12 players.

In my opinion, you would be money ahead to rebuild the CDM12 (when parts are available) as it will work well for a good while. The CDPRO2 is plagued with problems, mostly due to lead-free soldering. I've seen many "new" CDPRO2 players bad right out of the box or failing within a week of installation.

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:02 am »
 :dunno
Interesting, I'm sitting here reading about the only single post response and its negative, no howdy, no ---display unending love for my bottom---, no it looks good, nothing but negative.

:blowup:
The jukebox has a lot of time on it playing. If for some reason its a piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- why was it playing for decades and not just junked out? This jukebox was owned for decades by a amusement company who made a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- load of money off of it.

:stupid
The jukebox is being restored, and I've incorporated some provisions for its continued life, why do you think I'm restoring two players? I'm not only restoring two players, I'm basically installing new parts throughout.

Opinions are like ass holes full of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- most of the time. I'm outta here trying to shed light on a piece of jukebox history.
Restoration jukebox:

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
Philips made the cd players for ALL of the major jukebox manufacturers. The production of those players is finished (no more being made). Enco Systems had Philips run off a final production of replacement parts over a year ago. Enco is now the exclusive source of parts to repair Philips cd player mechs. Naturally, Enco being the only source of parts, jacked up the prices sky high not only on parts, but for complete brand new players.

Rowe jukeboxes are very reliable, but the cd player mechs did fail in the field out on location. A cd player mech may have been replaced several times over a jukebox's commercial lifetime. I've had to replace many of them on location. One of the biggest factors of early failure is having the jukebox powered on all the time. The laser will get weak from being powered on all the time. Dusty or smoky locations also contributed to problems with dirt/smoke getting into the optics or gunking up the sled or even getting into the motors. Location power spikes didn't help things either.

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 11:09:45 am »
Just wanted to update the jukebox.
It works flawlessly now that I've completely rebuilt everything in it.
Restoration jukebox:

Walz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 11:12:50 am »
More.....
Restoration jukebox:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 11:20:53 am »
You put a lot of work into that machine. It looks good.