Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Overkill-A-Tron (A Lesson In Wasting Money) [43" 4-Player MultiCade]  (Read 10869 times)

Dallinj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2021, 09:50:26 pm
  • Boise, ID
DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know some of my design choices and decisions are questionable, and that this build is 100% ridiculous and unnecessary. I'm always ready for some constructive criticism, or if you straight up think I'm an idiot, lemme know. Thanks!

This build thread is organized as follows...
-Story Time
-Parts and To-Do Lists
-Main Cabinet
-Control Panel
-Software and PC
-Misc.
-Latest News

CURRENT CABINET PICTURE

STORY TIME

After obsessively poring over dozens upon dozens of arcade builds on these forums, and being envious of every single one I'd seen, I figured that enough was enough. I was going to set off on a journey to engineer my own machine of wonders.

I began the process of designing and gathering materials for the (patent-pending) Overkill-a-tron around a month and a half ago, with a clear vision in mind. A 23" screen, 2 joysticks, 16 buttons, and a Raspberry Pi...

...if you are questioning why I would name such a lackluster build the "Overkill-a-tron", I wouldn't blame you. I had designed a nice little cab design in tinkercad and was about to purchase everything I needed when I had an epiphany. Why pay a reasonable $300-400, when I can instead throw away all my money, go deep into debt, and end up with the cab of my dreams? (I'm joking...mostly)

The new and improved vision for the cab was...

4 Joysticks, 38 Buttons, 2 Light Guns, a Trackball, a Spinner, a 43" 4K UHD Screen, functional coin door, automated cooling system, and a budget PC build. What could go wrong?

Currently Finished Portions:
-Control Panel
-Main Body
-PC Build w/ AttractMode FE
-Glass and Marquee Installation

Unfinished Portions:
-Painting
-Artwork

Parts List:
-Sticks and Buttons
-RGB Trackball
-LightGuns
-Spinner
-43" Vizio 4K TV
-Blue T-Moulding
-3/4" MDF Sheets
-Double Coin Door
-Fan Ventilation System
-4" Speakers
-Speaker Amp

MAIN CABINET

Imgur Album

Although the design is heavily drawn from the files and designs ChanceKJ had posted in his Flynn's Arcade Build, a couple of changes were made (namely to the width and height of the build). The 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF was able to fit both side panels perfectly, and I used a combination of circular saw and jigsaw to cut them out. I then clamped them together and used a sander to make sure they were symmetrical.

Instead of simply cutting slits and hoping for the best, ventilation issues were solved with two AC Infinity Fans, located at the top and bottom of the back panel. Overkill? Absolutely.

I'll post final dimensions and lengths when all is said and done, but it's roughly 6ft 2in tall and 21in deep. Most of the support pieces and the front panels were made through a process of trial and error, and lots and lots of measuring and re-measuring. All support pieces were made from MDF aside from the base which is 3/4” plywood. There are wheels also attached to the base for movement.

When attaching the first side panel supports, we accidentally applied them both to the same side, so we ended up with two mirror pieces, which was not the intended effect. Instead of cutting them off and sanding down, we rolled with it and are making it into a detachable access panel to reach the PC and stuff. We used magnets on each corner and it seems to work perfectly.

CONTROL PANEL

Imgur Album

Shape and Design

The Control Panel was the first obstacle to hurdle. I had used a lot of different pieces for inspiration, but mine was most definitely influenced by ChanceKJ's Beautiful Build. I used 3/4" MDF from Home Depot for the majority of items in this project, and the CP was no exception. Button spacing was achieved with a slightly modified template from Slagcoin and it worked out beautifully. Many people will think the amount of buttons is excessive, and I can't disagree, but the PC allows emulation of more current systems that require a higher button count.

Hardware

The buttons were the "lower tier" DIY kit ones from amazon. They come with everything you need to get em working, and they aren't lying when they say that. They are 100% plug and play and were very nice to use. I'm looking for some new ball/bat-tops however, but I can't decide which to get. Any suggestions?

We had a few issues with the trackball (mainly because there was miscommunication about where to order from and we didn’t order from Ultimarc when we definitely should have) so we are still waiting on a replacement to arrive. We tested the fit with the faulty unit and it’s spot on, so that’s nice.

The Aimtrak Lightguns (with recoil, of course) work beautifully, and we have tested them with the screen size to ensure they work within 5-6 feet. We got one red and one blue for some variety.

SOFTWARE AND PC

Software

The front-end I use is AttractMode, for two reasons. It looks freakin sexy (I use the nevato layout), and it's relatively straightforward and easy to use. It can currently emulate everything from MAME and NES to Gamecube and Wii at a solid 60FPS (If you haven't seen 4K Dolphin emulated Smash Bros...you are missing out.)

I’ve decided to use Retroarch for most of the emulators (MAME, NES, SNES, N64, SEGA, ATARI) because it’s nice to have standardized shaders, controls, and general items. Unfortunately this doesn’t allow us as much flexibility in some regards, so I’m also using a second version of MAME standalone to better keep the lightguns, trackball, and spinner separate from the rest. I’m also using Dolphin for the Wii and GameCube emulation.

PC

Here’s the current specs list for the build. GeForce GTX 1050 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, Intel i3-8100, ASUS 8th Gen MOBO. I used an “old” power supply that was lying around and it works perfectly. We have a 1TB hybrid drive that’s also worked wonders.

MISCELLANEOUS

I purchased a small arcade style computer power button that is installed in the side of the cabinet. It's in the perfect spot to both be concealed when playing, but can be reached by player 1 to turn on the machine.

We are also applying some LED strips to the back of the cabinet, but that’ll be way down the line when it actually happens. Should look cool though!

The coin door looks amazing, but we decided to switch the red insert coin buttons with some blue ones. Unfortunately the red diodes that came with the unit aren’t bright enough to shine through the blue, so we’ve ordered (and received) some white and blue replacements to see which will work best. After testing, the whites work beautifully and they’ve been replaced!

LATEST NEWS

9/4/18- Started the thread

9/5/18- Tinted Display Glass and Marquee Glass arrived from OneDayGlass.com and look amazing. If only I had some artwork to put in the marquee...

9/6/18- New brighter diodes for coin door lights have arrived, along with two shop stools that should do the trick. I also got a set of joystick extenders to make them long enough, while keeping them flush on the bottom of the CP. Less work, more money

9/8/18- First coat of primer has been applied, and the glass is fully fitted and ready to go!

9/9/18- The backside, and inside has been painted with the black, and it looks fantastic! We used two coats of primer with sanding between each layer, and used a 6” foam roller to apply the paint. We also ordered a small “standin” marquee for a dozen bucks to make sure the light source will work well.

I will be periodically updating this post with information, pictures, and a comprehensive parts list.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:27:20 am by Dallinj »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: The Overkill-a-tron (43" 4-Player Omega Build)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:46:49 pm »
 :'(

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:25:07 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:54:55 pm »
43” 4K? 150” 4K and 21000 watt sound or GTFO.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:58:29 pm »

Darn, I knew I was missing something important. Imma need another 18 sheets of MDF I guess...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:58:53 pm »
I will give you props on the control panel for not doing that stupid ass Jarrett cutout. Keep us posted.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »

Darn, I knew I was missing something important. Imma need another 18 sheets of MDF I guess...

You all rite Brotherman! :cheers:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:25:45 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:03:49 pm »
A 43" 4k panel would make a really great masked-off portrait 2P build.  It'd fit in the classic 24" arcade cabinet width, it'd make nice crisp readable bezel - I think it could be really classy.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 11:19:08 pm »
A 43" 4k panel would make a really great masked-off portrait 2P build.  It'd fit in the classic 24" arcade cabinet width, it'd make nice crisp readable bezel - I think it could be really classy.

That does sound incredibly nice, and now I'm hoping someone will take up that project. I was thinking the 4K would be overkill at first, but it looks insanely nice and crisp I knew I made the right choice. Not to mention it was an open-box from Best Buy for less than 300 bucks.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:25:45 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:06 am »
For being the exact kind of machine I generally am not into, and nearly the size of a Killer Queen - you did a good job on the control panel shape, the amount of panel overhang to the cabinet width, and the overall proportions.  Not bad! 

If it's gotta be that big, that's as attractive a shape as I think can be made - I like your design more than I like Chance's.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:44:42 am »
With a screen that big, you're going to have to stand 12431413412 feet away from the screen to get lightguns to work.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:08:09 am »
With a screen that big, you're going to have to stand 12431413412 feet away from the screen to get lightguns to work.

That's what I was worried about, but after testing for quite some time, we found you could stand about 4-5 ft away and it works perfectly!

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 09:09:44 am »
For being the exact kind of machine I generally am not into, and nearly the size of a Killer Queen - you did a good job on the control panel shape, the amount of panel overhang to the cabinet width, and the overall proportions.  Not bad! 

Thanks! It definitely helps that the screen is a behemoth, because it makes the CP look smaller in comparison.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 01:28:51 pm »
Lets get some photos on this thread. Show all those weak sauce builders there is a new sheriff in town (I am looking at you Ond).   :lol  ;)
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 03:34:16 pm »

That's what I was worried about, but after testing for quite some time, we found you could stand about 4-5 ft away and it works perfectly!

Are you certain you can get to all 4 corners?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 05:45:07 pm »

That does sound incredibly nice, and now I'm hoping someone will take up that project. I was thinking the 4K would be overkill at first, but it looks insanely nice and crisp I knew I made the right choice. Not to mention it was an open-box from Best Buy for less than 300 bucks.

It will happen, I have the TV, I have the PC, I have the Marquee monitor, I have a table saw.  I just lack the required wood,  first delivery was damaged on multiple sides so wasn't going to work. They refunded me and  I really need to find someone local who does the sheets I want then I'll rent a van and pick it up myself , but first I got holidays and stuff to deal with :)

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:20 pm »
Not my cup of tea - but a good job nonetheless.  As stated earlier, thats about as proportional a design as you can make given the screen size.  Nice work  ;)

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 06:59:39 pm »
Lets get some photos on this thread. Show all those weak sauce builders there is a new sheriff in town (I am looking at you Ond).   :lol  ;)

Already on it. Just trying to organize the whole thread first  :)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 08:24:08 pm »
Angled Joysticks or GTFO.

Is that a thing? That's a thing we say, right? Well, something like that...

Looking good. For some reason, I'd like to see another coin door with matching colored coin returns. I didn't read the whole thread, but is the Raspberry Pi the real brains of this thing? If so, I'll be curious to see how that works out.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 08:27:03 pm »

Is that a thing? That's a thing we say, right? Well, something like that...

You’re thinking too much. Just go with the flow.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 09:52:45 pm »
is the Raspberry Pi the real brains of this thing? If so, I'll be curious to see how that works out.

It was originally, but I aborted that idea pretty quickly. All PC inside :)

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 05:39:21 pm »

Does angled mean parallel with screen, or parallel with controls?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:28:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:50 pm »
Does angled mean parallel with screen, or parallel with controls?
Leapinlew is either messing with you or confused.   >:D

Green is good. (top edge of stick is parallel with screen)  Red is bad. (angled)

Scott

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:19 pm »
Leapinlew is either messing with you or confused.   >:D

Green is good. (top edge of stick is parallel with screen)  Red is bad. (angled)

That's what I had thought, but you never know!  :D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: The Overkill-A-Tron (A Lesson In Wasting Money) [43" 4-Player MultiCade]
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 10:36:36 am »
Sorry. Clearly I was confused.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 10:47:45 am »
I've played on both. Angled and non angled makes no difference and I doubt anybody would notice...
Love these big ass arcade machines, but why skimp on the pc. With 43 inches and 4k why not stick a monster gaming pc in there and have a dedicated pc gaming wheel for all the pc goodness

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 12:15:15 pm »
Everything you said is terrible.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 04:19:28 pm »
Love these big ass arcade machines, but why skimp on the pc. With 43 inches and 4k why not stick a monster gaming pc in there and have a dedicated pc gaming wheel for all the pc goodness

Obviously more is always better, but I had to draw the line eventually. It can a large variety of modern games (nothing insane), but I’m 100% more concerned about emulation performance. This checks all the boxes and didn’t destroy the bank. Win-win!

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »

Finally got the entire cab done (sans painting) and I’ve got a question for the experts on the forums. What’s the best way to go about painting? We’ve currently got a layer of water based primer on the cabinet, and were thinking most people apply a layer sand, apply a layer sand. How many layers is good? When do we paint? We are using foam rollers to apply paint, is there a better way?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 04:47:12 pm »
If you can find a bigger 4 player coin door, go for it. The one I’m thinking you’re going to use is comically small on that cab. It’s all about proportion.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 05:23:51 pm »
Ditch the coin door. And have some tidy speakers down there..

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
The Overkill-A-Tron (A Lesson In Wasting Money) [43" 4-Player MultiCade]
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 05:24:26 pm »
If you can find a bigger 4 player coin door, go for it. The one I’m thinking you’re going to use is comically small on that cab. It’s all about proportion.

The more I look at it, the more I see exactly what you are saying. I’ll do some research on em, and figure out what to do

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »

The more I look at it, the more I see exactly what you are saying. I’ll do some research on em, and figure out what to do

Look at the front of a TMNT. This is the way to go, especially since you have the space.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »
Look at the front of a TMNT. This is the way to go, especially since you have the space.

Ooh! I actually quite like that! Why you guys gotta have such good ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 10:06:26 pm »
I’m a student of the artform, brother. :cheers:

I don’t like these wide cabs AT ALL, but I like your enthusiasm and willingness to take suggestions. Let’s make it a good cab!

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 10:51:27 pm »
It's not exactly my type of cab, but it's close - I just have zero interest in four players.

At the very least modern fighters are going to look killer on this thing. FighterZ, in a cab, in eye watering 4k? Yes please.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 11:46:37 pm »
I've played on both. Angled and non angled makes no difference and I doubt anybody would notice...
Wrong. So wrong. People do notice. 

Wow please don’t listen to this guy, he’s either smokin’ crack or purposely giving you terrible advice.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 02:18:18 am »

Wow please don’t listen to this guy, he’s either smokin’ crack or purposely giving you terrible advice.
Yeah I go around giving purposeful bad advice. Call me a drug addict. saint's note - don't work around the profanity filter. Thanks! Speakers don't have to be on display you can hide them via speaker mesh etc..
There's many things you could do with that large area underneath, the coin door looks rediculous
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:56:28 pm by saint »

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 10:21:29 am »
Speakers don't have to be on display you can hide them via speaker mess etc..
There's many things you could do with that large area underneath, the coin door looks rediculas.

I prefer to see the speakers, as it gives the cab a bit more texture, compared to something flat and bland. To each their own!

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 11:10:43 am »
Speakers don't have to be on display you can hide them via speaker mess etc..
There's many things you could do with that large area underneath, the coin door looks rediculas.

I prefer to see the speakers, as it gives the cab a bit more texture, compared to something flat and bland. To each their own!
You must be a drug taking bad advice piece of junk also

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 11:28:56 am »

Yeah I go around giving purposeful bad advice. Call me a drug addict. saint's note - don't work around the profanity filter - thanks!. Speakers don't have to be on display you can hide them via speaker mesh etc..
There's many things you could do with that large area underneath, the coin door looks rediculous

I did not call you a drug addict. Maybe this was your first time trying crack?

But please do keep giving suggestions that make an arcade cabinet not look like an arcade cabinet.  ::)
Coin doors are a defining feature. Just like marquees and t-molding.

That and suggesting things to make the controls unplayable/non-intuitive. There are plenty of members here that have a ton of experience building/collecting/restoring arcade cabinets that will tell you the same thing:  angling your sticks is bad advice. Please stop perpetuating this.

Also, working around the profanity filter is against forum rules. Don’t do that again or you’re getting reported. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:57:12 pm by saint »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 11:39:45 am »

Yeah I go around giving purposeful bad advice. Call me a drug addict.  Speakers don't have to be on display you can hide them via speaker mesh etc..

This guy....

Bad advice.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:57:42 pm by saint »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 11:46:45 am »
I see more cabs without coin doors than i do with coin doors, do you flame all of those threads.
If your going to make nasty comments just because you don't like someone's opinion then I'll call you out for what you are...
You sounded like one so I called you one..
Move on

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 12:25:55 pm »
There’s opinions and there’s just plain bad advice. You didn’t say “in my opinion”, you stated fact and offered instructions in a project thread.
If you want to debate the look of coin doors, or angling Joysticks, create a thread and let’s hear your points on why you think your opinion holds any merit worth considering. Don’t go spreading this bad advice then claim “it’s only my opinion” as a bail-out.

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 06:41:11 pm »
Finally have a working trackball that can be mounted into the CP, so I'll be posting a fully finished, lit-up, control panel picture album in the next few hours!  :applaud:

Dallinj

• Offline Offline
  • Boise, ID
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 11:42:28 pm »
After some “brief” technical difficulties, I’ve finally finished the CP. We ordered a replacement power supply for the trackball, so no lights yet. We got some bubbly ball tops from Paradise Arcade and they look awesome, and give the CP a glowing look.