Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aliens Extermination: GPU Help  (Read 4959 times)

otsep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 12:44:12 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
Aliens Extermination: GPU Help
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »
got an Aliens Extermination without a GPU and was hoping someone could tell me which one it uses or a better replacement. Thanks!
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Aliens Extermination: GPU Help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:24:23 am »
I think most of the systems now use a GTS450 depending on the computer. this particular game uses 9 different systems.

MSI H61M-P32
DFI EL339-B
Intel DH61CR
Intel DG41TY
Intel DG41TX
Intel DQ45CB
GA-945GM-S2
ASUS P5KPL-CM
915GAG

when you buy a video card from Global VR, (http://service.globalvr.com/)  they supply you with a driver install disk for the new card. these systems run windows embedded (stripped down windows XP)... as such they have all driver support stripped out...and any drivers needed are manually added in via an automated install system... so  you may be able to dump out of the game to somewhere you can run a driver installation program... in which case, any card that fits in the system can be used... otherwise if you don't want to mess with it, just buy a card from global VR and have a plug and play installation.

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:01:10 am »
Thanks, lilshawn.

I was able to track down another computer in the warehouse and it had an XFX GeForce 7600 GS. Also, on their website I found "System Recovery Disk (SRD) Multiple Games (050-0233-01)" and it had some helpful information in its description.

"System Recovery Disk for Redline Rampage, Frightfearland, The Swarm, NASCAR Team Racing, Aliens Extermination, Twisted-Nitro Stunt Racing, Need for Speed Carbon, Paradise Lost, & Justice League Heroes United. Multi-game SRD supports H61M-P32/W8, GA-H61M-S2PV, SB336-Ni, DH61CR, EL339-b, 945, G31 & G41 motherboards and GTS 450, 650, & 750 video cards."

So it looks like I can confirm 4 different compatible GPUs and that gives me some options. Although, I think there's a typo in the description and they mean GTX?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:05:01 am by otsep »

Remember Wheaton's Law

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 01:27:27 am »
To make things a little more interesting and get off this crap PC, I installed the base OS(050-0233-01) on a much newer PC and stopped the game install.

This allowed me to bring up a command line session where I added a second user with admin rights. After this was done, I logged out of the current user and switched to my "tech" login. From there I added drivers for the chipset and whatever else the device manager complained about. Now I have it running on newer, more reliable hardware. ;D I am still using the XFX GeForce 7600 GS for the moment, but I will probably swap it from a GTX 650 as I have an extra from a Big Buck Hunter HD build.

Remember Wheaton's Law

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:41 am »
Nice work.

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:15:19 pm »
Played around a little bit more today and tested how to change the card on an existing game you don't have the discs for.

If you remove the video card and boot with onboard video, it should fail to load the required libraries and not launch the game. From here you follow the same steps that I did with an OS only restore.
- Ctrl-Alt-Delete
- Task Manager
- Run command (cmd)
- Add user and give them admin rights
Etc..

On a side note, the GTX 650 I was planning on using won't work as the machine doesn't have the extra space above the slot for a double wide card. I do have a GT 440 that should fit the bill and will be testing tonight.

Remember Wheaton's Law

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:11:18 pm »
this is pretty much what you have to do with the PGA golf computers... install xp pro and load all the drivers you need, then load the game in.

also...

GTX - focuses on the performance with disregard for power consumption
GTS - focuses on lower power consumption by clocking down the GPU or using lower voltage components (less heat)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:14:06 pm by lilshawn »

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:22:36 pm »
this is pretty much what you have to do with the PGA golf computers... install xp pro and load all the drivers you need, then load the game in.

also...

GTX - focuses on the performance with disregard for power consumption
GTS - focuses on lower power consumption by clocking down the GPU or using lower voltage components (less heat)

I've never tried it with a fresh install of XP as I figured they did something to make sure that the game wouldn't play nice if it didn't find some stupid setting or file somewhere.

Remember Wheaton's Law

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 12:21:33 am »
only difference between XPe (XP embedded) and XP is that you can basically only choose to install and run the components needed (thereby reducing methods of intrusion or attack) in XPe... the reduced component load count helps to make the boot time quicker and the installation size smaller... but XPe has the same runtime API as XP so it can run the exact same applications as regular old windows XP instead of a custom program with it's own API.

TL;DR - XPe is stripped down XP...the same programs run on it.

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 12:22:49 am »
Cool. I may have to give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remember Wheaton's Law

r3zon8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2020, 06:32:33 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 06:04:33 am »
Hey folks...came across this thread while trying to repair my Aliens Extermination cabinet that I just bought

On first time bootup the machine posted, I reset time in bios, then after restart I saw some loading screens and finally blue xp background with mouse arrow in center of screen but then it just sat there for some time. Eventually I powered it off then back on to reattmept a start and from then on out the machine will no longer even post(bios screen)

I pulled the pc out and checked the usual, reset bios, reseated GPU and usb controller card, still nothing. I did notice the fan on the gpu was heavily caked with dust and doesn't spin at all when machine powers up. Cpu and case fans spin normally although very dirty.

I'd prefer to take the approach of building a new pc(case, board, gpu etc) but wasn't sure how 'locked down' the restore image/disks are when it comes to using 'non factory' hardware.

Mine is a 915GAG based system

Any ideas or tips?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 05:36:35 pm »
i would say if your CPU cooler was clogged, the CPU has been overheated and probably sketchy... i'd swap it out with another one. LGA775 CPUs can be had for next to nothing on ebay with one that is 2 or 3 times better for 15 bucks....check with your local computer recycler too, they may just give you one. check out your motherboard for bad caps and replace them. better to do it now before the regulator FETS kick the bucket and the board is dead dead.

It would be better to use the original hardware, as it makes reinstalling way easier... as the disks already marked out for the hardware you got.

if you wish to go the misc. hardware route, just get yourself something like "tinyxp" and install that, then dump the game on. change your windows shell with the game exe program to have it load it instead of explorer.exe to get yourself a couple seconds knocked off your boot time.