Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME with Linux (Solus)  (Read 8767 times)

Raitsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 11:04:41 am
MAME with Linux (Solus)
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »
Having said goodbye this week to Windows forever, I have been getting to know Linux and my distro of choice has been the wonderful Solus at https://solus-project.com/

The latest MAME is always available in Solus software center / Solus repository, just click install and thats it, Solus will install MAME automatically.

All I needed to do is add roms, they are not available in the repository.

Attract-mode is in the Solus software center as well, should you want to use it too.

So far I have only added roms and the latest cheatfile, configured a controller (Xbox 360) and its very smooth sailing now, all the games I have tried so far are working just perfect.

Loving it.

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Re: MAME with Linux (Solus)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi, I'm also considering the switch to linux.  Do you know if linux mame can use hlsl effects?  I have some vector games that I'm reasonably emulating on my windows pc.  I'm wondering if you can do the same on linux.

welash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:52:44 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:39:32 pm »
As far as I know, it can't use hlsl, but can use glsl.  See https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/glsl.html
I tried it out a while back.  I'm not sure how well glsl has kept up with hlsl.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:12:24 pm »
Isn't it BGFX now?

General_Faliure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 07:30:40 am
    • My Arcade Cab
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:25:22 am »
My arcade cab is running linux from day one. (that's some 6 years ago).
Currently running linux mint on a small ssd and hdd combo. (/home directory on the hdd).
Setting up mame is quite easy, other emulators are a bit more difficult, with Daphne being the hardest.
The original Daphne and Daphneloader are a pain to set up on modern systems, but there is a fork which you can compile on a 64 bit system.
I am thinking of switching to ssd only soon.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core2 duo8400 @3.6 Ghz, 4Gb of mem, Geforce 9500.
Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE, Mame, Mess, Daphne FS-Uae, Mednafen and some more.
Mah!cade

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:08 am »
The only real downside to Linux is that modern MAME for Linux uses SDL and Linux SDL doesn't yet support dual lightguns (multiple mice).

In the end though I feel I have more control over what is in it and how it works with Linux. Sure some native Windows support programs don't work (LEDBlinky, Aimtrack setup program) but there are other Linux analogs that perform the same tasks just as well, and at least I know it will boot if left alone and offline for 3 months and not decide it needs to talk to Microsoft before it can run again.