Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some advice on setting up Retropie/Attract Mode  (Read 3528 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
Need some advice on setting up Retropie/Attract Mode
« on: September 04, 2018, 10:55:15 am »
I have been trying to set up Retropie on a Pi3 B+ for a while now and I can't seem to figure it out.  I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel and I want the setup to be very simple - I could use some advice.

Here is what I'm going for:

General:
- I want to boot to the (only) gamelist using a momentary pushbutton.
- Remove boot up scripts and pi logo scrolling on screen.
- Replace splash screen with a custom one.
- Power off using same pushbutton at any time without having to go to "shutdown: in retropie.
- When selecting a game, need to read a config file to tell ServoStik to switch to 4/8 way mode (or stay where it is) [this part seems tricky]

Layout:
- No video snaps
- No "wheel" art (marquees)
- The list should show a screen shot of the game with the game name (with some minor art surrounding it). 
- Up/Down to choose a game
- Start to launch game
- "P1 Start+P2 Start" to go back to list.
- No "emulator" level - this is an arcade only build so I don't need to "choose the system"

That's it!  Seems like it should be easy but I do not want users to have the ability to access menus and other settings.  Want to have to use a keyboard for that.

Should I start with a clean image of Retropie 4.4 and try to build it up from there or should I try and modify an existing image?  I downloaded a few and they are all way too busy and stuffed with way too many games.

Thanks!!

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Need some advice on setting up Retropie/Attract Mode
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 11:00:45 am »
Blanking out boot screens and adding custom logos is a complete waste of time. They only show up for a few seconds. Just setup the monitor to kick on 20 seconds after the Pi starts up.

As long as you are not writing to the pi when you shut it off you will be fine. If you are worried just keep a spare card with the same config on it. If your original corrupts after a million boot ups and shut downs, you can just slip the spare card in and be up and running instantly.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
Blanking out boot screens and adding custom logos is a complete waste of time. They only show up for a few seconds. Just setup the monitor to kick on 20 seconds after the Pi starts up.

As long as you are not writing to the pi when you shut it off you will be fine. If you are worried just keep a spare card with the same config on it. If your original corrupts after a million boot ups and shut downs, you can just slip the spare card in and be up and running instantly.

I didn't know you could delay the monitor display - that works too.  I don't want this thing to confuse anyone.  I just want it to work.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:55:34 pm »
I wouldn't worry about a delay either. It is just more hassle. I am sure nobody is going to be confused at seeing a computer boot up. It is 2018 not 1956.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:10 am »
For my mini NES RPI console i just leave it on 24/7 hooked up to my hdmi switch on the big screen.
That way the kids don't have to futz with the power buttons.

If it were me i'd just turn it on when you expect people and just leave it on.
That way all they see is the game list when they walk up to it.

That's me though, retropie has very basic themes for emulation station and you can control the boot screen graphics.
As for text you can get rid of most of it.
There is a writeup about doing that in this section.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157745.0.html
Bottom of the page.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 12:20:25 pm »
For my mini NES RPI console i just leave it on 24/7 hooked up to my hdmi switch on the big screen.
That way the kids don't have to futz with the power buttons.

If it were me i'd just turn it on when you expect people and just leave it on.
That way all they see is the game list when they walk up to it.

That's me though, retropie has very basic themes for emulation station and you can control the boot screen graphics.
As for text you can get rid of most of it.
There is a writeup about doing that in this section.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157745.0.html

Bottom of the page.

Thanks for the link.  This is for a bartop that will likely end up in my son's room or in the basement so I'd prefer to not leave it on all the time.  I think what I'm going to do is install a clean image of Retropie 4.4, add the games and then build it up from there with functionality, layout, art, on/off, attract mode, etc.