Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What should I be working on?  (Read 5373 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
What should I be working on?
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »
So I'm sure most of you have noticed that I haven't exactly been churning out releases lately.  The truth is I've just got too much going on and I'm not in a good mindset to work on some of my more complex software projects. 

I need to implement headkaze's new mame output dll and get back to him on functionality and I'll try to do that soon.  Before I went away I was working on output stuff, which thankfully was implemented by Boomslang and company in my absence, and a subsequent mamehooker and troubleshooter 2 release to go with my findings.  I was working on a new kind of console rom organization software/system, but with the current state of console politics, I've decided to put that on the permanent back-burner until Nintendo calms the hell down.  Daytona 3 certainly needs a better wrapper, but my pc can barely run it and I've sort of lost interest.  Outrun FXT has a few more things that need completed before I would consider it done, but now that you can play a legit arcade version of outrun 2 I wonder if there is any point in continuing the project. 

I've of course got personal projects to finish as well.  My pac-man cab has been done a legit 10 years now and I still haven't designed some side art and got a marquee and ect sent out to be made.  My mame cab currently doesn't have any roms or a front-end on it.... I've been playing pinball on it lately.  And there's other stuff like my racing rig ect. 

It might be time to start a new project as well.  I still haven't made up a rough game for that byoac racing game. 

So hey guys I'm just kind of lost atm.  If you have a suggestion let me know as having something to do to take my mind off of things is very important to me right now.  I've mostly been playing old crap on the nes/snes classic the past few months and while it's fun I can't get over the nagging feeling that I'm wasting time. 

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: What should I be working on?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
Ime the same as you Howard, I always have to be working towards something and never go more than a few days without some crazy project in mind.

But I think you need to workout what you want to do yourself.

My suggestion would be to get some stuff on that mame cab and enjoy yourself a bit!!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:25:51 pm »
Isamu's vote:  Work on improving OR2FXT fulltime and forget everything else!  ;D ;D ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:31 pm »
I did work on it a little a few days ago, but I doubt it would be anything you guys are interested in.  I've been remastering all the graphics boxes for the arcade attract video so we can re-make it in HD.  I would probably need someone with video editing skills to help me finish though....  While the "how to drift" segment is pretty easy to do, the heart attack segment is pretty complex in terms of animation. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:41:56 pm »
Why not finish that racing cab you were working on awhile back, then you could actually play some racing games properly  ;)

Otherwise you could always come help me do some force feedback plugins etc  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »
I want to but it's blocked in.  I've been trying to clear the house of junk so I would have some more room but it's been slow going so a bunch of storage crates are right in front of it.  Hopefully in a month or so I'll have them out of the way and have enough warm weather to finish. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:29:07 am »
My mame cab currently doesn't have any roms or a front-end on it.... I've been playing pinball on it lately.

I'd choose this one.  Getting all the oddball emulators and standalone games working and launching from the same front-end is half the fun.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:50 am »
I know your call is for a new project, but Mamehooker is in the need for some speed up in my opinion. It is starting to be heavy (from a CPU point of view) and my Pentium 4 suffer.
Another thing is the peripheral list for mamehooker: with the exception of the LPT port, most of them are commercial (and expensive) and it would be nice to have a cheap peripheral fully supported. Am I eventually suggesting a library for arduino? :D
Uh uh, I have another Howard: cannonbal. The project is almost abandoned but there's room for improvements... Could it be something interesting enought for you? Not sure, but you are the only one I know that is skilled enought to work on it.

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:00:01 am »
Howard, just a thought if you fancy taking a look whilst also being OutRun related - If you try playing Outrun using the TeknoParrot emulator there are a lot of graphic shader problems, missing shadows and black solid objects etc. I don't know how you find out how to correct these or even find out what they are suppossed to look like so thought I'd just mention it here. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could have a 100% perfectly represented version of the game to play on our PC's! At the same time I'd like to acknowledge that this is a community and we're here for you buddy if you need to talk. I know some people deal with stuff by just diving into new projects and by keeping busy but inevitably this just builds up over time and we can begin to struggle. Just saying bud that whilst we appreciate all your contributions to the community it's sometimes nice to be reminded that we're also here for you too. Take care :)

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:18:05 am »
Howard, just a thought if you fancy taking a look whilst also being OutRun related - If you try playing Outrun using the TeknoParrot emulator there are a lot of graphic shader problems, missing shadows and black solid objects etc. I don't know how you find out how to correct these or even find out what they are suppossed to look like so thought I'd just mention it here. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could have a 100% perfectly represented version of the game to play on our PC's! At the same time I'd like to acknowledge that this is a community and we're here for you buddy if you need to talk. I know some people deal with stuff by just diving into new projects and by keeping busy but inevitably this just builds up over time and we can begin to struggle. Just saying bud that whilst we appreciate all your contributions to the community it's sometimes nice to be reminded that we're also here for you too. Take care :)

well actually you will find if you stay in internal views of car the entire time then there is no graphical issues at all. Reaver knows about this and gonna look into it

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:10 am »
It would be great to have more outputs supported by Mamehooker, in particular recoil for light gun games (Looking for the day when I'll be able to play Time Crisis with real recoil...  :'( )

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »
That's something to work on the emulator side, not mamehooker ;)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 02:52:29 am »
Howard,  work on having fun and enjoying life a little more :) By the way, Playing classic Nes/Snes is never just "wasting time"

I would do the Pacman art and then complete the outrun project (Just coz you can now play the legit arcade version makes it no less of a legitimate project). 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 01:41:38 am »
I'd need to have a life first to enjoy it.  :)

I haven't had time to do much of anything lately.  We also just had a small flood that messed up the yard so I'll probably spend tomorrow evening trying to salvage the gravel driveway by spraying the crap out of it with the pressure washer. 

I'm not particularly interested in canonball.  I love the program, but I can't really think of anything that needs added aside from better create a track options.  As for mame outputs, I would probably have to talk to boomslang after I get more time and maybe get his memory hacks converted into proper mame submissions.... couldn't hurt to try anyway. 

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 02:22:50 am »
I'm not particularly interested in canonball.  I love the program, but I can't really think of anything that needs added aside from better create a track options.

Needs LAN play ;)

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 06:36:12 pm »
... As for mame outputs, I would probably have to talk to boomslang after I get more time and maybe get his memory hacks converted into proper mame submissions.... couldn't hurt to try anyway.

:D

Thanks again for your hard work and dedication Howard, I really appreciate it.

:applaud:

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 05:12:02 am »
Not sure if this is a good suggestion for you Howard, but I've been enjoying Chase HQ 2 a fair amount recently, and it would be great if there were some extra config options (cheats, really), and ability to make minor changes, such as:
  • ability to add extra time at the start or once opponents have been caught. I've been able to finish all the levels within the allocated time, but they tend to be either very easy, or brutally hard
  • ability to tweak how much damage the enemies can take - there are long sections of levels that you never see if you stop the cars within the alloted time. It would be nice to have longer battles (so enemies can take more damage as well as having more time to stop them)
  • make the damage taken by enemies more consistent - you can get multiple hits and do very little damage. The game seems to prevent damage from registering if you do several hits in quick succession, which is highly frustrating
  • any other little mods similar to what you've done on Outrun 2 - adding custom sounds for example. It's really frustrating that we only hear Nancy's voice - how come there's no Tony or Raymond in the game? They're on the sideart of my CHQ2 cab, so should be in it. It would be great to be able to add in some of their speech from the first game

Anyway, this might not be of any interest, but some of the above could really improve the game and make it more playable.

Also, really appreciate your other projects, especially MAMEHooker and TroubleShooter. :applaud:

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:26 am
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 03:39:44 pm »
I would love more MAME racing games having LAN/Network support (i.e. Cruis'n Games, San Fraoncisco Rush, etc.). I'm going to be working on a 2 player racing chair set up over the next year and would love more MAME 2 player LAN racing games.  If that's up anyone's alley. Thanks

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »
I would love more MAME racing games having LAN/Network support (i.e. Cruis'n Games, San Fraoncisco Rush, etc.). I'm going to be working on a 2 player racing chair set up over the next year and would love more MAME 2 player LAN racing games.  If that's up anyone's alley. Thanks
I second that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 06:44:14 pm »
Whatever happened to the 'Add FFB to the PC version of Hydro Thunder' project? That'd be the project I think I'd probably most like to see come to fruition.

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 10:19:52 am »

well actually you will find if you stay in internal views of car the entire time then there is no graphical issues at all. Reaver knows about this and gonna look into it

No graphical issues at all you say? If you stay in the internal car view and drive through the 'Floral Village' stage it's impossible to not notice that the entire road is missing!!! Also I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Reaver to spend any time attempting to fix any of the graphics issues in the game. It's a real shame that the game is so close to perfection, if only someone with some graphics knowledge could pick this up and get it fixed.

clos2345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 08:29:38 pm
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 07:30:16 pm »
I second that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see Crusin USA and the Ridge Racer series have 2 player LAN support.

raiden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2019, 08:05:04 pm
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 06:24:58 am »

No graphical issues at all you say? If you stay in the internal car view and drive through the 'Floral Village' stage it's impossible to not notice that the entire road is missing!!! Also I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Reaver to spend any time attempting to fix any of the graphics issues in the game. It's a real shame that the game is so close to perfection, if only someone with some graphics knowledge could pick this up and get it fixed.

Yeah I second this!

OutRun 2 SP DX graphical fixes and custom resolution support
Daytona USA Championship Edition 4K or custom resolution support.
FFB Support for Virtua Racing would be amazing (FFB Arcade Plugin)
Sega Rally Revo PC frame pacing issue.
Afterburner Climax custom resolution support for Lindbergh games.

For a bigger challenge - Daytona USA 2 / Scud Race tracks (found in OutRun 2 XBOX) for OutRun 2 SPDX or OutRun2006 FXT ;>

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:17:07 am »

For a bigger challenge - Daytona USA 2 / Scud Race tracks (found in OutRun 2 XBOX) for OutRun 2 SPDX or OutRun2006 FXT ;>

I see your bigger challenge and raise you..... Rave Racer tracks in OutRun 2 SPDX.

Or even better, F-Zero GX tracks in Ridge Racer Type 4.

raiden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2019, 08:05:04 pm
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 08:44:19 pm »

I see your bigger challenge and raise you..... Rave Racer tracks in OutRun 2 SPDX.

Or even better, F-Zero GX tracks in Ridge Racer Type 4.

Hehehe nice one! So OutRun 2 SP DX FXT is the front runner. ;D

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 04:11:57 am »
Supermodel networking