Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Versus City  (Read 2304 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Versus City
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:11:35 am »
I recently procured a well used Versus City cab and am planning on giving it a refurb where needed. It's seen lots of use and abuse and will need attention on several fronts.

My first step was downloading a manual and sticking my head inside.

It's dusty, missing keys and got a few cracks n chips in the body work.

It fires up and plays the game fine. The monitors appear to both be Toshiba tubes and hopefully chassis are correct but need to look deeper. They could use a little tweaking for sure but there is no burn and the picture looks fairly good. Definitely seen worse.

Now the bad... It was sold running and working but told it smells like a mouse died in it. After running about 10-15 mins it starts to smell. Like something electrical heating up. And not BBQ rodent. Hence my unplugging it and sitting on watch for a little bit to be safe.

It could be dust, it could be something taking the wrong voltage etc... So my first order is going to be checking the PSU for output voltages.

All that said, I am curious where the best info is out there. The Versus is a bit of a rare beast compared to some others. I've reached out to a few folk and as I said, I have the Japanese manual, but it's hard to translate.

I see that parts are rare and stickers are probably nonexistent. Makes a restore with paint and new stickers kind of tricky so am still on fence about how far to take this, but would like to get it running flawlessly and worry free in time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.