Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Resolutions in GroovyMame  (Read 2846 times)

porkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 08:21:21 pm
Super Resolutions in GroovyMame
« on: September 03, 2018, 10:02:38 am »
I installed the Super Resolutions, and they seem to be working fine in GroovyMAME. I am not sure how it decides which resolution to use for some games. Sometimes the vertical resolution does not match the vertical resolution of the Super Resolution. Does it just pick the next largest vertical so that it fits? Is there a way to force certain games to use different resolutions? And is there a way to create custom resolutions for games where a good match does not currently exist? That may not even be necessary.

What I am mostly wanting to do is have the games fit the screen properly. I am OK with some having some extra black, but there are still come games like PacMan that are larger vertically than other vertical games. And I do not want to have too much black on all my horizontal games. I know you can make adjustments to the installed modes using ArcadeOSD, but looking in there, the options are a bit daunting and not obvious to me. Don't know what porch is, for example.

Thank you for everyone's help!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Super Resolutions in GroovyMame
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:13:02 am »
If you install the ones by default, you basically don't need to do anything. GM will take care of the blank space so there's no degradation of any sort. You could create extra super resolutions for special cases but I don't think there is anything except maybe the Sinclair Spectrum that is not covered properly by the default list.

The problem you're facing with vertical size is the same that the other folks have explained to you in your other thread. You can't fix that by adjusting things in Arcade OSD, etc. It's a physical feature of CRTs.

What you can do is to create a custom crt_range changing the progressive and interlace line limits, e.g. change this:

crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576

to this:

crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 256, 448, 512

or:

crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 240, 448, 480

This will force those vertical games to be displayed in interlaced modes that will probably fit your screen, at the cost of some flicker.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

porkins

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:16:24 pm »
I'll try that. But I don't know where I find these settings to change them. And do I need to do something to make the new settings take effect?

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
Is it time for a stickied GroovyMAME FAQ thread?

This question comes up over and over again.  I mean, I understand why.  For a person who is new to arcade monitors, the idea that you you can control almost everything in software *except* vertical height seems hard to believe.  And when someone says you have to physically adjust a pot on the monitor, it sounds like crazy talk.

Once you've been here a while and you take a step back, you realize that it's a miracle that we can run vertical games on a horizontal monitor at all.  Honestly, having to fiddle with the vertical size pot is not a high price to pay for that ability.  Also, as I've pointed out in multiple threads, you have the option to permanently adjust it to fit vertical games with the side effect of slightly letterboxing horizontal games.  Again, totally worth it.  I'm grateful that I don't need to have a separate cabinet for vertical games.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

porkins

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »
Oh, I totally understand it all. Using this particular software is new, and there is no manual that describes all of the available features.

I have adjusted my monitor so that the majority of vertical games fit well enough. There are the few that are extra large, and if I can use software to squeeze them a bit, then I can decide if the reduction in quality is worth it or not. Looking for a happy medium, I suppose.