Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Primed Cabinet has been sitting...  (Read 3177 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Primed Cabinet has been sitting...
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:35:59 am »
I've been building a lowboy cabinet for far too long now and while it's primed in shellac primer and sitting here, I am at an impasse.

It's been a year almost and there is a fair deal of dust etc accumulated. I am weighing my options before moving onto paint and wonder what course I should follow.

Should I simply, dust, wash, and tack cloth the cabinet and go into paint?

Would it be better to sand it all back a bunch?

Obviously going at it right away with paint isn't an option and the prep is most important based on experience and figure maybe someone here has had a project get stalled for a year or two at this point and knows the right path forward.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Primed Cabinet has been sitting...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:54:45 am »
 That would depend on what kind of primer it is and what paint....However Jenn would be of the opinion sanding it down (not off, just level the surface)with the finest paper you can get away without clogging it up and just wasting paper (usually 400grit works well) and check it over for last minute damage....Then reprime or use a sealer as a new fresh coat for your paint to adhere too.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
Thanks Jennifer.

It's Zinnser BIN shellac. I'm not sure what I'll use for paint yet as I just procured a VS city that is taking up some space but want to slowly work away on the cab I'm building still and the primed cabinet sitting here had me wondering what the best course was.

I hate having to repaint stuff but at least the shellac bonds to previous coats quite well.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:50:58 pm »
Refinishing a cab is a lot of work, and cutting costs does sound appealing, I get that, And most likely you would be fine if you were to use a heavy bodied paint (although you might see some of the sanding scratches and problem areas underneath).... Sanding it down does offer benefits in terms of quality however, primer is designed to fill problem areas, and by taking it down to flat you use it to its full benefit, a chance to check it over for issues, And  creates a even bonding surface for the next coat... It will only be nicer if take it down and recoat, If its good you can thin your next coat down a bit (or use a sealer) to help minimize any orangepeel before you finally do the color.   

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »
Thanks Jennifer.

It's not a refin so much as a half fin haha. The present primer is super flat sanded to 220 and perfect. It was ready for paint that never happened. Just sat in the garage over winter and summer. Dust and such is the only major dirt, as we don't park cars in here and the humidity isn't an issue. I would not call it filthy.

I was going to wash it and sand it a little initially just to make sure it was good. Should have brought it inside the basement as the control panel and doors seem to look pretty clean still.