Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Restarting what I didn't finish ages ago  (Read 1888 times)

sleong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
Restarting what I didn't finish ages ago
« on: April 16, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been out of groove to building a cabinet and finally after doing some spring cleaning I found some parts that I have already started and just been sitting in the basement. 

Its be a waste to just get rid of it and the time I already spent on cutting some of the parts and research in building a cab so. . . . here I am going to try to finish what I started a while ago.

Plus the Mrs. gave me the ok to finish it (can't say no to that now) and build another if I want!

So I want to find out when routing the T-molding slot is a 1/4" shank going to be enough or is a 1/2" shank better?  This is still one tool I have not gotten yet and looking to getting one soon so that I can get the T-molding slot cut in.

What is another good way to drill out the holes for the buttons?  I don't have a drill press but do have a drill but I'm not that good at making straight 90 degree cuts!  I have the spade bits and forstner bits and the hole saw bits.  Which is better to use for this application?

So many more questions but a few at a time!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Restarting what I didn't finish ages ago
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »
Bit of advice, pre-drill guide holes for the Forstner bits and they’ll work a lot better for you.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:39:15 pm »
What is another good way to drill out the holes for the buttons?  I don't have a drill press but do have a drill but I'm not that good at making straight 90 degree cuts!  I have the spade bits and forstner bits and the hole saw bits.  Which is better to use for this application?
Of those three bits, the forstner bit is probably the best choice.

A spoiler board underneath while drilling is also a good idea to prevent blowouts.

You may want to look into a drill guide like this one or this one to keep the drill vertical.

Scott

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:28 pm »
I like to drill a pilot hole first for alignment and then drill from both sides... seems to work well. 

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:08:20 am »
For the slot cutter 1/4" shank will be fine, but if the 1/2" is available and isn't twice the price then I would go with that :) 

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:18:57 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
1/2 inch shank is always better. The forces at play with a router are terrifying enough as it is.  A beefier bit cuts the risk of flying shrapnel. You also want to use the correct router speed. That is often overlooked. You want to keep the rim speed under control. A 2 inch diameter bit should generally be under 18,000 rpms. A 3 inch bit should be under 14,000 rpms. The reduced rpms help keep the rim speed under control. A half inch diameter bit at 20,000+ rpms will have a rim speed near 40mph. A 3 inch bit at the same rpms will have a rim speed over 200 mph. A .25 inch shank is more prone to failure at those high speeds when you crash a hunk of wood into it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:50:12 pm »
What he said.  I've seen one of those break before and it's like watching a ninja star thrown by the terminator.... or a pipe bomb depending upon how it breaks.