Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Streets of Rage 4  (Read 6221 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Streets of Rage 4
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:29:25 pm »
! No longer available

Looks fantastic!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Streets of Rage 4
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:51 pm »
Actually it looks awful.  Why would anyone want to pay cash money for something that has the art style of a cheap flash game?

The original final fight and street fighter II had a very dark, psuedo-realistic style, as did their ripoff, streets of rage..... I don't want to play a cartoon, even a well animated one. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
Actually it looks awful.  Why would anyone want to pay cash money for something that has the art style of a cheap flash game?

The original final fight and street fighter II had a very dark, psuedo-realistic style, as did their ripoff, streets of rage..... I don't want to play a cartoon, even a well animated one. 

Those are not cheap flash game graphics. They're waaay more animated and shaded to be flash graphics.  And I don't agree that Final Fight or SF2 had dark style at all, Streets of Rage did for sure, but not those two. Look at the stages of SF2 like Guile's, Ken's, Chun-Li, Honda, Dhalsim, Blanka, Sagat... practically all of them are bright, bubbly. There aren't any dark tones in look, and in some of those cases they're kinda comical even.
Then look at the characters, vibrant reds and blues for Ken/Ryu, or saturated Orange of Blanka's mane.

Final fight's look wasn't dark either, it had more of a comic book styling, with lots of browns and grays.

I for one love to play well animated cartoons, because thats when you get the most style and charm of the game.  Look at games like Earthworm Jim, Street Fighter III, Sonic the Hedgehog too! Or more current, the Dragon's Trap remake, Cuphead, Celeste, Ori, etc... games that are highly animated, "cartoony" even in some cases...these are some of the best game art quality that adds so much to the charm of the game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:14:11 pm »
Nope.  It's obvious these are vector sketched with minimal highlights and shading.  aka crappy flash graphics

Go back and look at street fighter 2 and final fight again.  I didn't say they didn't have bright colors, I said the style was darker and gritty, as a street fighter should be.  There are multiple levels of shading/highlight and a major amount of detail in the sprites of those games.... then alpha comes along and they go full anime which is the wrong direction if you want a tournament of deadly fighters to be taken at least semi seriously.  It's the main reason I leaned more and more towards mortal kombat as the years rolled on.  Graphics aren't everything, but they are something. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
Well just because something may be vector art, doesn’t make it “crappy”.
You can achieve a high quality style from any medium if done correctly.

I think these vectors are done right. You can tell they’re frame-drawn rather using scale/transform/rotation interpolation from computer calculations. Much of the cheap flash graphics you’re thinking of tend to use computer interpolation for animation shortcuts. You get a very budget look that way, because it makes the movements look stiff like a cardboard cut-out doll. Imagine how those thin cardboard skeleton decorations at Halloween move, each limb is a cut-out that can rotate.

This is definitely not like that.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:43:12 pm »
It was the announcement of this that got me hip to Streets of Rage Remake.

Anyway, same studio doing SOR4 also did the Wonder Boy 3 remake a few months ago.  That looks pretty good, so it makes me hopeful for this.  I'm not a fan of the SOR4 art style thus far, though.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 05:00:43 pm »
I personally don't mind the bright characters. I get the 'cheap flash games' reference, this style of vector art typically reminds me of that as well, tough to tell from a short video snippet though.

I'm torn when I see titles like this, games in this style are great when done right (really liked Shank and Mark of the Ninja) but for every one of those there seems to be a dozen boring, repetitive, Flash looking cash grabs that aren't bringing much to the table.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 05:45:01 pm »
I am both excited and horrified by this news.
You all know ime a big SOR lover so I have been dreaming of SOR 4 for a very long time.

I dont mind the artwork style based on the snippet I have seen of it, Really need to see more of the animation and fluidity to judge that.
At least its still 2D. I do wonder wtf is going on with that beard though....

But the controls have got to be simple and efficient like SOR 2/3 was otherwise it will be shite and that is where most clones have failed since.

But the real big worry for me is will it live up to its heritage?
Sega have a habit of ---smurfing--- these big titles up so I really hope they dont go all Sonic Mania on it!

Time will tell but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited right now.

But I swear if you ---fudgesicle--- this up Sega I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 05:48:24 pm »
My biggest worry is what platforms it'll be on.  They haven't announced that yet.
I swear if this is a mobile only game, I'll have to change my opinion and call it a crappy flash game like Howard does, just on principle.

If it comes to the Switch though, I'll be ecstatic!  (but at this point, i want every game on the Switch)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
My biggest worry is what platforms it'll be on.  They haven't announced that yet.
I swear if this is a mobile only game, I'll have to change my opinion and call it a crappy flash game like Howard does, just on principle.

If it comes to the Switch though, I'll be ecstatic!  (but at this point, i want every game on the Switch)

If they make it mobile only it will be doomed before its released.

If it only came out in switch though it would prob mean me going and buying a switch :p

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:58 pm »
SOR4 was previewed at a game show this weekend and it was running on a PC so we'll get it there. We'll probably get it on PS4, XB1 and Switch as well.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 12:05:48 pm »
SOR4 was previewed at a game show this weekend and it was running on a PC so we'll get it there. We'll probably get it on PS4, XB1 and Switch as well.

Any other details?

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 03:07:09 pm »
Was it playable or just video demo?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 08:40:29 pm »

Any other details?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/hands_on_streets_of_rage_4_is_a_grand_upper_revival

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 08:41:17 pm »
Was it playable or just video demo?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Playable demo of a very early beta.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 09:24:27 pm »
*fap fap fap*

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 01:50:11 am »
Excitement levels raised slightly....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:06 pm »
Axel's idle animation

Blaze idle animation

Cheap flash animations huh.  ::)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »
Yup, that's what cheap flash animations look like.  Vector-like shapes, thick black lines and no detail in terms of highlights and shading. 

You need to let this one go because I'm obviously right.  I mean I don't know if you have a friend working on this game or what, but you are defending an art style that virtually nobody has said they are a fan of.  Look at any comments or any youtube clip and the response is the same.... "I'm excited about a new Streets of Rage, but I'm not a fan of the art style."  It doesn't matter how well it's animated, the style feels cheap and it isn't a good fit for the franchise.  If you like it that's cool, but no amount of posts are suddenly going to make me like it.... I've seen what it looks like and I'm not impressed. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:08 pm »
Nope. You’re wrong. Like I said , and tried to explain to you, this doesn’t fit the “cheap flash animation” category. I gave you the key reasons why.  Vector animation is not all cheap looking. Maybe you’re not a fan of the art style, that’s fine. But you don’t know what you’re talking about if you think this should be in the same category as something like Strongbad.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 02:50:10 am »
Axel looks like a damn hobo.
Whats with the short legged trousers and the tied jumper!?

Blaze looks pretty good though.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:30 am »
Meh.  Doesn't feel right.  Music is off.  Style is off. Might be ok as it's own game, but it ain't SOR.

"The Takeover" got the feel right although the characters have evolved away from the SOR copies they started as.