Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on control panel  (Read 11208 times)

Smalkmus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2019, 09:57:23 am
  • Arcade noob! I'm here to learn!
Re: Looking for suggestions on control panel
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 02:04:25 pm »
Thanks guys, I like both your ideas. So if I go with leaving the dragon on the CP front as is and just extending the body throughout the CP, would you also continue the body through the kick plate where the coin door is?  I am torn between less is more on one hand but the CP front has the dragon body flowing toward the kick plate so I’m thinking maybe asking to have the body extend just a bit to the kick plate on the edges coming down from the CP front. What do you think?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 02:14:12 pm »
I wouldn't bother with the kick plate at that point. It's an added cost that doesn't bring much to the overall look. And thinking more about it, actually having all the front facing panels being simplified and dark would be nicer overall. Right now, from the front facing side, with the Dragon body on the CP with Directional Arrows and button rings, the Marquee is going to have the most eye-drawing stimulus, which is what you want.  Then the next visually stimulating article is the CP.  Having the bezel and kick-plate plain can help with drawing the eye from the Marquee to the Controls. 

People have a habit with applying artwork, wanting to cover every inch with a graphic. It's too much IMO. You're muddling up the overall look, and just creating more "noise" for the viewer.   K.I.S.S.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 03:05:56 pm »
Thanks man, you all rock!  I will update back once I hear from the artist!

Attached the extremely roughed up version that I plan to send the artist lol. Did I get the idea right?  Should I ask him to avoid the buttons and joysticks as much as possible?  I think he might have to go through the middle dedicated 4-way stick.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:18:38 pm by Smalkmus »

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:57 am »
Got an updated preview from the artist!  I am super happy with this. I wanted to avoid the joysticks and buttons but I think it flows great and he isn’t charging anything additional for this change request so I’m pretty happy. Anyone have any thoughts on it before I finalize with the artist?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2018, 02:35:19 pm »
Perfect. That's exactly what I was thinking he should do with the dragon.  :cheers:

Looks good even without the button borders/joystick arrows.
Could you throw these into sketch-up to see a 3/4 view of how the art will all come together?  Would be good to see it applied to a 3D model to get a better idea of how it'll all visually holds-up.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »
Good idea, I've just poked around at sketchup but I don't really know what I'm doing with it.  I'll have to give it a shot!  If I can figure it out, I'll report back.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2018, 11:58:02 pm »
So I'm just playing around with adding some button and joystick surrounds to the control panel.  Any thoughts/suggestions/preferences?  I kind of like the original version with no surrounds best but it could just be because I'm bad at photoshop and the colored circles and squares that I added look hacky and tacky?  Do you guys think this even needs surrounds? 

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2018, 12:45:38 am »
I wouldn't use the surrounds, they are too distracting. Also, you may have a problem later applying the CPO if the button/joystick holes are not spot on. You'll notice immediately if one of the buttons does not sit in the middle of the surround.

Smalkmus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 01:01:30 am »
That makes a lot of sense.  I was thinking of just adding them for the admin buttons at the top with some simple icons for coin, start, exit, pause, volume up and volume down but that makes me nervous to think the overlay may not land right and be off center.  That would make me crazy. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2018, 08:04:18 am »
It'd probably be better if you got labels for the buttons instead of labeling the control panel itself. That way you can move buttons around and not be stuck with them in 1 place if you dislike the layout.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.