Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Operation Neo Sticks.  (Read 2170 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Operation Neo Sticks.
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:41:42 am »
Just a fun little project for the Weekend.
Having got a Neo Geo CD the beginning of the year and finding out how hard to get and fragile the pads are for them I decided to get some fight sticks for it.
Having found the cost of AES sticks wayyy to much I decided I would build my own, Not just for the CD but also for the CMVS I have en route to me and potentially for a supergun in the future.
With that in mind I wanted to keep it fairly versatile.

So originally I was going to build some cases out of wood but then I found some 6 button fight stick cases from china for £10, For the price and the fact they will be less weight and work than the wood ones I decided to take a punt on them for the money. They came pretty promptly and they are reasonable quality.

My next thought was how I was going to connect it to the Neos, I had read that they have a deeper than normal DB15 connection and I have seen people who modified regular DB15 females to fit but that looked tacking IMO so I decided I would use a for purpose Neo Geo extension lead.

Now as the extensions are not that cheap for what they are and keeping in mind my versatility objective I decided to use a plug and play system where I could plug the extension lead into the fightstick but I did not want to have the plug on the back as there is no screw terminals to hold it in then it would probably unplug to easily during play.
So I decided I would mount a DB15 breakout board inside the stick case so I could easily unplug it in the future but not be pulled out by accident.
It also means I can easily change and add buttons etc in the future.

Next was components.
I went with the Sanwa JLF's with Octogate as I prefer these as a "all around" stick and due to the restricted depth of the stick case I went with Gold leaf buttons. I decided on the gold leafs as they are concave and shallow. I originally thought about using the Sanwa snap ins but the top plexi is to thick and of course they dont do concave which I really wanted on these sticks.
The start and select buttons are Sanwa though.

Next thing making up wires....
You all know how that goes...

Mounting and wiring phase - Yes the wires were tidied up afterwards

And completion!

Rinsed and repeated for the 2nd one.
I decided against any decals or anything to keep it neutral so they will be just staying black for now but they work great and I am happy enough with the quality of everything.
Wish there was a little more wrist space on the front but the edges are smooth so dont dig in your wrist.
The only thing I need to do now is find something to stop them sliding around on my lap (Anyone used anything with good results?)

But for now job done
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:58:09 pm by Titchgamer »

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Operation Neo Sticks.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »
Imbed photos... :angry:
%Bartop

Titchgamer