Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME LocoZ31 Vewlix Style  (Read 10293 times)

bad_boo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2022, 10:33:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME LocoZ31 Vewlix Style
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »
Project: MAME (LocoZ31 - Vewlix style)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first Arcade cabinet project (and my first woodworking in my life, to be honest lol). So pretty much I just learned how to use a jigsaw, circle saw, router, etc off youtube, to be able to start doing this project.

Ok, so going to the project, I was following the LocoZ31 model, as posted on his video below:

But, the stairs going to my basement, are not wide enough to go through, so I made a last minute adjustment and followed this model from Xtension Arcade, to make the cabinet in two sections and to be able to get in downstairs:

However , I kept LocoZ31 style as he shared the artwork for the CP. I just needed to tweak it to my like.

Ok, so here are some pics of this project:

The control Panel, I messed up the acrylic. I used a knife to cut plastic (i got it from home depot) but still I cracked the acrylic. I am not looking to change it now as it is not cheap, so I will keep going and if I find a way to hide a bit that crack, then it will be great.
Making the holes with the step bit, wasn't that bad at least.

Also, I screwed the CP art, (as I never install vinyl before either lol, so I ripped it when I was installing it) but I have a backup of this one as the guy who printed this out for me is a friend of mine, and he said "in case you messed up I am giving you a second print" lol

I made sure here to make a strong base and frame to hold the top part. Since the top part is tilted a bit, so I didn't want any unbalanced weight on the cabinet.
I may probably add a another 2"x2" "beam" beatween the two frames, but I may be over reinforcing it, I guess. Well, I will see if I feel it wobbling, then I will do so.

Here it is up today, this project is taking form with the top parts and the CP (with the damaged art still, but as I mentioned, I am ok as I have the backup print) on it.

Well, has been a learning experience so far and I have been trying to cover some mistakes I have made. However I am humbly pleased  :D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:57:28 pm by bad_boo »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME LocoZ31 Vewlix Style
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:56:41 pm »
Ok, this is my art:

For the Marquee

I created this myself using Photoshop. I enjoyed doing this actually.

For the CP:

It is based on LocoZ31 design but I made some changes and adding 4 extra buttons (8 buttons per player instead of 6) for the PC games and with a HORI button layout.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 12:06:50 am »
Needs more characters.

But seriously, the marquee and the CP don’t match at all. Consider a single unifying theme. Or don’t. Build what you dig.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 05:27:56 am »
That Marquee is freakin' horrible. Forget the fact, for a second, that you crammed a million characters on there. Their art styles don't match. The coloring and the shading don't match. I am seriously worried that if you print that out and affix it to an arcade cab, it will open a gateway to hell.

THERE ARE PANCAKES IN HELL, BUT NO SYRUP OR BUTTER.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:39:45 am »
The Marquee needs to be much simpler.
Don't put MAME on the marquee. Nobody knows what it means. Give your cab a name.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 08:16:42 am »
Thank all for the lovely feedback on the marquee lol

It is already printed, so I will put it on anyway and decide later if I change. So, I won't change that now!!!

I guess I feel a bit sensitive now.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:18:43 am by bad_boo »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 08:28:01 am »
Sorry. I feel honest feedback is important. I really hate that marquee. It is objectively terrible just for the garish mashup of art styles and coloring. The rest is my opinion. You really should trash it and start over. Just because it is printed doesn't mean you have to use it. You are going to have to look at that artwork even when you are not using the cab.

Try not to take it personally.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 08:41:33 am »
Thanks for the feedback, but since I am doing woodworking now, I will get back to that marquee design at the end of all of this... The same with the cracked acrylic on the cp.

I still have no name for this cabinet, so we I redesign the Marque, I will change it with the proper name... And will add more characters too. Jk lol

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:44:03 am »
Needs more characters.

But seriously, the marquee and the CP don’t match at all. Consider a single unifying theme. Or don’t. Build what you dig.

They are unified, the CP has a mashup of game companies.  look closer.

As you can see the collage theme is frowned upon, I think i've seen only one person pull it off gracefully.

I myself was intrigued until I saw the art, its up to you but, don't turn your cab into a garage MAME cabinet.  Your artwork should match your craftsmanship. 

Look at your symmetry etc and come up with a suitable matching theme that flows like your craftmanship.  This is the difference between something looking professional and looking like you tried to breed an arcade cabinet with every character known to man.

I've seen this time and time again, and i've never understood it, ruining a good build with mediocre art.

To give you and idea, i used this same art on my flowboard design, this is what they mean by flowing and theme.  Might give you some ideas of what you can do with it.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:45:37 am by rablack97 »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 08:49:33 am »
Needs more characters.

They are unified, the CP has a mashup of game companies.  look closer.

As you can see the collage theme is frowned upon, I think i've seen only one person pull it off gracefully.

I myself was intrigued until I saw the art, its up to you but, don't turn your cab into a garage MAME cabinet.  Your artwork should match your craftsmanship. 

Look at your symmetry etc and come up with a suitable matching theme that flows like your craftmanship.  This is the difference between something looking professional and looking like you tried to breed an arcade cabinet with every character known to man.

I've seen this time and time again, and i've never understood it, ruining a good build with mediocre art.

To give you and idea, i used this same art on my flowboard design, this is what they mean by flowing and theme.  Might give you some ideas of what you can do with it.

That looks cool!! I see your point and I would like to have the art of the marquee matching the cp, just like the screen shots you just showed me.

I guess that wouldnt be a problem to fix as I would need to go back to PS and make a Marque with any of those back grounds and print it. I mean, should be and easy and inexpensive fix.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:50:03 am »
also these will keep you from cracking your acrylic

The one your using is big, you only want to step down far enough to get your flush cut bit in the hole that you made, you dont have to go any larger than that.

Or just go with a polycarbonate adhesive backed and no acrylic, acrylic has kind of played out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:53:24 am by rablack97 »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 08:55:35 am »
also these will keep you from cracking your acrylic

Or just go with a polycarbonate adhesive backed and no acrylic, acrylic has kind of played out.
Thanks for the tip, I've got one of those actually, as shown on the first picture, but my problem was cutting the acrylic with the knife.
 I even tried to use the jigsaw, but as soon as I started, I chipped it a bit.

I guess I'll use the pycarbonate sheet as you suggest later on,

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:58:11 am »
Why are you using a knife.  Do you have a table saw or a hand saw, just get a fine toothed blade. Cuts it like butter.

Cut down to size then flush cut it with your router to finish.  Never cut acrylic with a jig saw.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 08:59:48 am »
This is poly carb.....

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 09:01:49 am »
Why are you using a knife.  Do you have a table saw or a hand saw, just get a fine toothed blade. Cuts it like butter.

Cut down to size then flush cut it with your router to finish.  Never cut acrylic with a jig saw.
I only have a hand saw. So I guess I'll have to get that fine toothed blade, when I get the next sheet.

Yes, that freaking knife to cut plastic was no good. I think I spent like an hour or more marking the cut line on the acrylic with it, and I could barely cut it. That's how I cracked it.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 09:03:06 am »
This is poly carb.....

That's so nice and clean. You got that polycarbonate at home depot?
Also, are you using the same for the screen or is it just glass?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 09:03:47 am »
Oh and Mike A is brutally honest, but he is correct here, don't F up your cab by cheaping out on the art, a reprint isn't that expensive.  Being cheap or lazy on the art de-values the overall look of the cab.

Take the advise you will thank him later for crushing that theme  :cheers:

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:05 am »
Oh and Mike A is brutally honest, but he is correct here, don't F up your cab by cheaping out on the art, a reprint isn't that expensive.  Being cheap or lazy on the art de-values the overall look of the cab.

Take the advise you will thank him later for crushing that theme  :cheers:
Hehe sounds good. Will work on that then

Cheers

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 09:08:38 am »
It could have been worse. Saint doesn't want us cussing. So I try to respect that. I am successful 70 percent of the time. It is a work in progress.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 09:10:35 am »
Yeah get the blade, and make sure you set the depth no greater than 1/4" below the acrylic.  Make sure you get a finishing blade and allow the saw to get up speed.

Orrrr, if you have a router dude, just use a stright bit or your flush bit, to cut the rough shape, then flush cut against the CP to finish.

The poly carb is what your graphic is printed on, there are a few printers in BYOAC that do it.

I used real glass for the screen, acylic looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- when you try to clean it, and it scratches all to be damned.  I used a tempered smoked grey glass, and wont use anything else now.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:12:23 am »
It could have been worse. Saint doesn't want us cussing. So I try to respect that. I am successful 70 percent of the time. It is a work in progress.

Its just passion man, plus the cleanup check catches most of it.  he knows the difference between just being filthy and passionate expression.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:38 am »
Rablack97...you get me. ;D

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 09:17:58 am »
Yeah get the blade, and make sure you set the depth no greater than 1/4" below the acrylic.  Make sure you get a finishing blade and allow the saw to get up speed.

Orrrr, if you have a router dude, just use a stright bit or your flush bit, to cut the rough shape, then flush cut against the CP to finish.

The poly carb is what your graphic is printed on, there are a few printers in BYOAC that do it.

I used real glass for the screen, acylic looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- when you try to clean it, and it scratches all to be damned.  I used a tempered smoked grey glass, and wont use anything else now.
Oh thanks, that is a good tip, I do have the router, I guess I can try to  trim it a bit with it. And will keep in mind about the blade and how to cut it if I replace that sheet.

I will look up for that smoke gray glass. That will be one of the last details I am looking for.

I will check the polycarbonate one if all the previous fails lol, since I am already on it.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 09:24:32 am »
OK cool man, at least you are sincere lol

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 09:49:23 am »

Oh thanks, that is a good tip, I do have the router, I guess I can try to  trim it a bit with it. And will keep in mind about the blade and how to cut it if I replace that sheet.

I will look up for that smoke gray glass. That will be one of the last details I am looking for.

I will check the polycarbonate one if all the previous fails lol, since I am already on it.

Don't waste money on a skilsaw blade just use your router bits, and make sure your base doesnt have any gouges or you will scrape up your acrylic when you run the router across it.  Freehand the rough shape, then clamp that to your CP, fluch cut the final shape and done.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 09:54:37 am »

Don't waste money on a skilsaw blade just use your router bits, and make sure your base doesnt have any gouges or you will scrape up your acrylic when you run the router across it.  Freehand the rough shape, then clamp that to your CP, fluch cut the final shape and done.
Oh I see, that sounds good to do. so I should put the acrylic below the cp (or put the cp upside down) , and lower the router bit to trim the acrylic only, right?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
Depends whether you have a flush trim bit or a pattern bit for your router.  Only difference is the location of the ball bearing (above or below the cutter).

+1 to redoing the art with a cohesive theme.  No characters on the CP and no “MAME” anywhere, please.  If a cab is well built and works great but looks like crap it will get lost in the sea of bad cabinets.  Even a generic cab we’ve seen 1000 times before can get elevated to awesome with the right art.  It’s honestly 50% of the overall design.  You will be much happier in the long run. 

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:36 am »
Depends whether you have a flush trim bit or a pattern bit for your router.  Only difference is the location of the ball bearing (above or below the cutter).

+1 to redoing the art with a cohesive theme.  No characters on the CP and no “MAME” anywhere, please.  If a cab is well built and works great but looks like crap it will get lost in the sea of bad cabinets.  Even a generic cab we’ve seen 1000 times before can get elevated to awesome with the right art.  It’s honestly 50% of the overall design.  You will be much happier in the long run.
I don't remember well where the ball bearing is on the router bit but I guess it is below the cutter. If so then I guess I would have to keep the acrylic on top and do the trimming there.
Thanks for that hint though, I will check that when I get home and do it properly.

Sure, I guess that marquee art makes a difference then. I think it is like wearing a nice tuxedo and wearing ugly shoes, right? Lol

So yes, I will rework the marquee to a match the cab and the cp. I will start thinking on the name as well.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 12:33:55 pm »
You probably have this.

Top bearing bits are not common, and you have to normally order those.

Clamp your acrylic to your cp, lower the bit so the bearing rides along the CP and the blade hits the acrylic, the blade only need to be no more than 3/16 of an inch below the acrylic.

you can also use this same technique for your button holes, use the step down bit to make the hole the use the flush bit to clean it up, perfect holes every time and no tear out.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 12:44:03 pm »
You probably have this.

Top bearing bits are not common, and you have to normally order those.

Clamp your acrylic to your cp, lower the bit so the bearing rides along the CP and the blade hits the acrylic, the blade only need to be no more than 3/16 of an inch below the acrylic.

you can also use this same technique for your button holes, use the step down bit to make the hole the use the flush bit to clean it up, perfect holes every time and no tear out.
Yes, that is pretty much what I have. I got my router last week off kijiji and the guy gave me a set of bits too ($35 for everything), that's why I wasn't familiar with it, but I can tell that one is the type of the bit I have.

I didn't think on don't that on the hole in the acrylic, but I will definitely do it.

Also, I have one more question regarding the acrylic. If you see the first picture, I have a trackball and 2 cup holders. How do you make the holes on the acrylic for them?
Do I keep trimming it with the router until it gets the size required?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 01:02:59 pm »
Nix the cup holders man, your asking for trouble with some one spilling drinks on your machine. other wise your gonna have to make a template like javery said.

The trackball, there should of been a plastic piece that came with your mounting plate.  that can be used as a guide. for your router bit.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 01:18:07 pm »
Nix the cup holders man, your asking for trouble with some one spilling drinks on your machine. other wise your gonna have to make a template like javery said.

The trackball, there should of been a plastic piece that came with your mounting plate.  that can be used as a guide. for your router bit.
Haha OK I will have think thoroughly about the cup holders then.

Yes, I have the mount plate for the trackball. So trim it with the router following the plate then. Got it.
Thanks for that.

And thanks for leaving me a lot of advises as well, I appreciate it man.

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 08:49:16 am »
Just an update.

Need to work on some details but it is getting there. I can't wait to put on that ugly marquee already

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:14:35 pm
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24:44 am »
looking very good for your first arcade  :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 11:33:05 am »
looking very good for your first arcade machine  :)

FTFY

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 11:37:19 am »
Thanks guys :)

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 10:58:40 am »
second update and almost ready to paint. Need to to make some final adjustments

At this point, if someone could give me advise on how to install the glass that will go in front of the TV. Should I route a channel in between those two peaces of MDF or can I get any type of channels to hold the glass???

Oh, btw the way, I am installing a second monitor in between the speakers with hypermarquee.
Also, I didn't route the slot for t-molding, because I couldn't find the bit at the stores , so I ordered online but it will come very late. So what I did, is I ordered a 3/4" U-molding off ebay.

Edit: I guess I figured out for the marquee. On another topic,  on this same forum, they recommended using plastic corner guards from home depot, so it can hold the plexiglass .

For the screen, I am still giving my thoughts
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:34:46 pm by bad_boo »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2018, 03:49:35 pm »
Another update, painted !!!!

You can see my mistakes in the back of the cab lol

now it has been moved to the basement and now I need to paint some parts that were damaged when I moved it. Probably I will do another smaller coat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:32:40 pm by bad_boo »

bad_boo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 10:50:13 am »
Almost there.

Edit: I don't know how to make the pictures to look bigger, unless I link them from my Google photos album. When I do the attachment, it looks smaller

edit2: Fixed it. a moderator helped me to figure it out
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:31:58 pm by bad_boo »

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:14:35 pm
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:52 am »
for your first build it looks pretty good, mistakes and all, i still make mistakes now and it's my fourth bartop  :laugh: just try and learn from them for the next one :)